Freeride park building in wodonga

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
hi all,
i was just wondering if anyone would want to start up a group or freeriders around albury and wodonga that would be willing to get together and have a meeting with the local council and negotiate with them to be able to build a freeride park, because i have noticed there is jack shit freeriding tracks or parks, so maybe get a meeting or something going with the council and hope that they will give us a piece of land where we can build our own little piece or freeride mountain biking paradise

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
I could be mistaken, but aren't the tracks on nailcan legal? If I was you, it might be worthwhile getting in touch with the Albury Wodonga MTB Club and see what they know about it. The big issue is the fact that there isn't really a big freeriding community around Albury, last I checked.

Also, your post has to be in contention for longest sentence ever.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
im mates with mark sulavin, and i ride nail can all the time but we have no decent tracks or parks in wodonga. and there is like no area to build north-shore objects there, its all rocks and fallen over trees. so i was thinking somewhere a bit more open

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im mates with mark sulavin, and i ride nail can all the time but we have no decent tracks or parks in wodonga. and there is like no area to build north-shore objects there, its all rocks and fallen over trees. so i was thinking somewhere a bit more open
Seriously, Albury is bout a 2min drive over the farking bridge from Wodonga.

Use nailcan hill, theres tracks there that are legal, best hope is to try and get another one for freeriding, you wont get one in wodonga.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
Huon hill has single tracks and we have had the council talking to a couple or mtb riders at my school and the asked if any one would be interested in a track or park in wodonga

Riedy

Likes Dirt
We'd have a better chance of getting a freeride track on nail-can where there is already legal tracks, I am a dher myself and i think nail can would be a better spot for it.

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
Use what's already there!

As a recently ex-Wodonga boy who rides the 'can whenever he's back, I totally agree with others' sentiments in adding to the existing infrastructure. It is far better to focus all the development in a single area (think Whistler) that will attract larger buckets of funding and a focal point for everyone, than take a shotgun approach which will lead to the detriment of all areas. A heck of a lot of work has gone into the 'can with strong relationships formed between the environmental groups, the AWMTBA and the Albury City Council, and with a bit more love, some good solid project planning and funding applications to atrct some extra $, the place will be awesome. A freeride park behind the TAFE, incorporating some environmental improvement of that washed out creek would be a damn good start. I do a lot of negotiating with all levels of government for community based environmental and recreational projects, so if you need some professional help, please feel free to get in touch.

Harry99

Likes Bikes
It would be better to build it on nail can becasue there already stuff there to build with and i dont know any one who really rides huon hill.

Mr_Gareth

Likes Bikes
Fellas, im gunna have to say im leading away from the can. it has some decent natrual features and its span is great for xc, but apart on race days, there is no way to shuttle it, and to be honest, the dirt is sandy crap thats really hard to work with.

Wodonga is 5 mins away, and Barrandude 5 mins from that. Mt barranduda is the bomb, the dirt is way better, coverage is better, way bigger and better hill (mountain if im not correct), and it has open roads. We should be pushin for that sucka.

Switch

huskier headed gent
I would recommend getting in contact with someone from the Beechworth Chaingang to get some advice on man made obstacles and liability issues. Unfortunately I don't know much about it but they have removed all the north shore style structures at the Mtb park due to their deterioration and I don't believe they are not intending to rebuild them.
I know I am not providing much help personally but I am sure someone from the club will be able to offer some good advice on how best to deal with council and create a bike park that reaches a balance between what you would love to see and what is realistically viable from a legal and funding perspective.

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
Fellas, im gunna have to say im leading away from the can. it has some decent natrual features and its span is great for xc, but apart on race days, there is no way to shuttle it, and to be honest, the dirt is sandy crap thats really hard to work with. Wodonga is 5 mins away, and Barrandude 5 mins from that. Mt barranduda is the bomb, the dirt is way better, coverage is better, way bigger and better hill (mountain if im not correct), and it has open roads. We should be pushin for that sucka.
Good luck. I agree that Baranduda is a good hill with plenty of vert and it'd be awesome to see some proper tracks up there, however with DSE managing the scene you're not likely to get any sanctioned MTB action there any time soon. At least the 'can has a community run friends of group and NGO (Albury-Wodonga Parklands) that 'manage' it. The soil at the 'can is, yes, loose sandy gravel "crap to build with stuff", I'd like to see more timber berms and properly constructed shore type stuff (the last stuff was taken down coz it was made mainly from rotten pallets, soggy weetbix and staples) - there is stacks of scope for more freeride / flowy type tracks out there as opposed to pure DH. The can also has plenty of uplift opportunities, I reckon all you need are more organised riding days / arvos thru the AWMTBA to get the gates open for uplifts. Plus, it's not THAT far to push / ride up :p