Freeride Rig For 2 or so Grand?

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Hi folks, first time poster, long time... umm actually this is the first time I've checked this site out, but it looks pretty sweet. Good work to those involved.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to MTB and after recently cracking my frame I reckon the time has come for me to upgrade from my first bike to something a bit more confidence inspiring. I'm looking at getting a moderate freeridable dually that can still manage the occasional pedal up a hill if needs be (freeriding is the priority though), or maybe a hardtail for around the mid to high $2000's absolute tops--so don't go telling me how rad the Bullit is or anything like that.

I'd been seriously considering the Jamis XLT 1.0 and Norco Torrent but I just found out that both of those are no longer available in Oz, and I've also been looking at the Haro X3 and the Stinky.

Does anyone know any good deals going at the moment on any of these or have any other sort of advice?

Cheers!

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
I forgot to mention, I'd prefer to get something new and under warranty rather than a potentially thrashed out machine, but I would definitely be stoked to find a bargain 2nd hand IF it's in Adelaide and I can check it out. If I can track down something new for a bargain price interstate that'd be cool though.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
dont buy a brand new dually for 2000 or under... ur bound to get crap, go a hardtail if u want something new for that much

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are the specs on your Stinky Chewy i might be interested. Also what is the frame size and what condiditon is it in. Thanks dude

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what you described I reckno you should be looking at a Kona roast or Stuff. They are strong hts but still suprisingly light! check them out at your lbs. Just if you get one, make sure you upgrade to a set of psylos or DJ3's etc. The Marz EXR ain't realy good from what I have been told.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Two things:
1 - for 2 grand go HT.
2 - if you get a new bike and it snaps when you ride a drop don't expect it to be covered under warranty (even if it is called "the ultimate freeride machine" or maybe something less precise).
Maybe looking second hand wouldn't be such a bad idea, you'll be a good chance of picking up a good ride, just check it out carefully.

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For freeride i would go a long travel hardtail for that price you can get a sweet new hardtail.

Az

Likes Dirt
How about one of these

<<-----------

:D :D :D

Yes you will get a better hardtail for the same price but i like having boingy bits on both ends!!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
TJumper said:
What are the specs on your Stinky Chewy i might be interested. Also what is the frame size and what condiditon is it in. Thanks dude
its a 01, pretty much stock except for truvativ box guide and 8" hayes hydros on the rear

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
does the front fork have disk mounts and is the hub a disk ready hub.
Also what size is it. Thanks again

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I realise that non-XC dually's aren't really worth looking at until around the $3000 mark. Since next seasons bikes aren't too far away I thought I might have a chance of finding a bargain if I'm lucky though. I'm spewing I missed out on the Torrent's cuz they seemed like a kick arse hardtail and have great specs (are any other hardtails spec'd that well for that price?), and likewise about the Jamis'... Melbourne Bicycle Center were doing them for $2300 which was pretty farkin good.

As for the Norco dually's, I'm kinda tempted by the Drop, but it seems like too big and heavy a beast to have that little travel. If I get a bike that Tonka I'd wanna get something with more travel.

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Bassmonkey there is a torrent for sale 2nd hand but in great condiditon for 1800 i think. I dont have the info on it but i saw an ad for it on the notice board at ashgrove cycles.