Freighting from the US

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G'day guys,

Haven't been on here in a while, but thought I would ask this question here as there's plenty of knowledgeable people...sometimes.

I've recently purchased a small book store, and we need to import books from throughout the world - a hideously expensive task. I've just paid $750 to import three 20kg boxes from Germany!

Our biggest hurdle is importing from the USA...to import a single 20kg box is about $330 with USPS and we need to import a few of them. I can get a pallet from LA to Brisbane for about $1200, but then I'd need someone in LA to pack the pallet and will also need to freight the books from the suppliers to wherever the pallet is (there's several suppliers).

Ultimately I'd like to find some courier company or brokerage who can help me out. USPS must use gold plated trucks driven by Latvian hookers to transport cargo...

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
G'day guys,

Haven't been on here in a while, but thought I would ask this question here as there's plenty of knowledgeable people...sometimes.

I've recently purchased a small book store, and we need to import books from throughout the world - a hideously expensive task. I've just paid $750 to import three 20kg boxes from Germany!

Our biggest hurdle is importing from the USA...to import a single 20kg box is about $330 with USPS and we need to import a few of them. I can get a pallet from LA to Brisbane for about $1200, but then I'd need someone in LA to pack the pallet and will also need to freight the books from the suppliers to wherever the pallet is (there's several suppliers).

Ultimately I'd like to find some courier company or brokerage who can help me out. USPS must use gold plated trucks driven by Latvian hookers to transport cargo...

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
Have you got a ups freight account? that makes the whole process cheaper, especially if you are shipping regularly. Otherwise, when I brought a car in I was charged $250 per additional cubic meter of paraphenalia I brought in, plus abother $150 customs clearance, although it landed in sydney so I had to collect from the docks.

Is the distributer able to deliver to a freight company for you?

Often there are postage options in the US that don't translate to over here. An express style postage posted from there will often not arrive here any quicker. But you paid the extra for the express!

mikedh

Likes Bikes
I used Craters & Freighters when I came overseas, and went for their LCL option (less than container). They packaged everything up to ensure my shit was water resistant (then managed to procure me a sealed container). It was $1800 for 290 kilos in a 3 cubic meter package.

Of course, the fees when the package got here were bullshit. There must've been 20 different listed fees, from quarantine paperwork processing to holding to god knows what else. My $1800 went to $2600 before I could load my shit on a rented ute and never do that again.

As far as the suppliers go, maybe check into USPS flat rate shipping for small boxes. It was the best option by far when I lived State-side.

floody

Wheel size expert
Hook in with a car parts importer who brings in containers of engines etc and buy some container space?