Friends give you a fat !!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Well, that was another completely ridiculous study by a typical journo looking to fill his / her time.
It has some fair points but on the whole, it is a load of bullshit in my opinion. If your friends make you fat then you need to get them off their fat arse and do something for themselves. If they don't want to come to the party............do it for yourself!
An epidemic...........Geez, next thing they'll be telling us that if you are getting fat you have some destructive disease and you're partial to dabbling in a bit of terrorism. If you have a close look at the things that are shoved in your face in any shop you go into, you'll notice 99% of it is high in fat.
Maybe the people who do these types of studies should do some research on the things people eat that make them fat and teach them how to avoid putting the beef on.
So yeah, in case you didn't gather, I hate hearing about the fatty epidemic. There is easy ways to fix it.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with Dozer....it's a crock of shit.

Chicken or the egg? I would say that fat people like being around other fat people as they feel more comfortable being around people who share the same body type and/or interests which fat people seem to enjoy. In other words, they are drawn together through similar interests. It helps them feel secure knowing that they can have their group of friends whom they share similar interests with. I don't think that having fat friends will ultimately make you fat.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You've got to remember guys, this is teh real world, not everyone is a rational being...., well, none of us are really, it's just differing degrees. So, whilst losing weight may be an important point to us, and relatively simple if you have the motivation, it may not be to many who all they want to do is sit at their desk at work or in front of the tele at home. Not everyone gives a shit about their weight, but everyone suffers when there are more obese people than not.

Research like this is important when we are facing an obesity epidemic that threatens to absolutely overwhelm our health system with hear disease, diabetes and other related ilnesses. This is a problem that will affect you either directly or indirectly through higher taxation and less beds in hospitals that are already strained.

BTW, this study was done by professors, not journos. I just don't understand why it was a political scientist that did it!

Bowlo

Eats Squid
Well... There goes my 18th :eek:. It's a fairly odd concept although I do understand. Wasn't this study ONLY done on American people?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Anybody who has even the slightest clue about Isaac Newton and his laws of Physics will already be aware of the fact that as objects gain in mass, they increase in gravitational pull. This explains why our more portly brethren are seldom found in isolation...

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
Damn, that title sure is misleading...
In what way?:D

POSM might be on to something. How could the researchers have overlooked this angle. Maybe it was outside thier field.

I think Dozer is right about the shit people stuff in thier faces too much fat content (and refined sugar too). I started reading labels about 15 years ago, its not too hard to be a little bit picky about what you eat. Went from 92kg down to 80 in about 6 months.

People say its cheaper to eat crap food but i reckon it's just as expensive as good food. The only thing is that it is a lot easier to get in the car and head for the drive through than to take time out to cook a decent meal.

Johnny is on the money saying it effects us all, Higher taxes, harder to get a hospital bed, all due to preventable illnesses.:mad:
Maybe we need a new tax model which not only takes income into account but also Gross Mass (maybe the BMI would be fairer?). Either that or we could use some heavy government regulation on what manufacturers try to pass off as food. We regulate other things to protect the population and the economy why not food too.

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
Don't get me wrong, most fatties irritate me in the same way I sense that you are feeling Dozer, but I think the article makes a fair point from how I see it.

The direct correlation/relationship between having 'fat friends' (ie on a micro level, talking about 2-3 individuals) is a fairly moot point, but when considered on the scale of the entire population, the idea of fat being 'contagious' has it's merits. The more obese people in a population changes the dynamics of that population, changing what is considered 'normal'. As the proportion of fatties increase in a population, the social norms shift, and people don't feel as out of place being obese 'cause all their friends are too!

If you're sick of hearing about it, stop reading the news, 'cause it's a growing health issue in Aus, and a pretty damn important one at that!

wtr

Likes Dirt
The direct correlation/relationship between having 'fat friends' (ie on a micro level, talking about 2-3 individuals) is a fairly moot point, but when considered on the scale of the entire population, the idea of fat being 'contagious' has it's merits. The more obese people in a population changes the dynamics of that population, changing what is considered 'normal'. As the proportion of fatties increase in a population, the social norms shift, and people don't feel as out of place being obese 'cause all their friends are too!

If you're sick of hearing about it, stop reading the news, 'cause it's a growing health issue in Aus, and a pretty damn important one at that!
Bing-farkin-go. It's a psychological warfare.