Front chain guide

smp976

Likes Bikes
I know i will probably get flamed for this but ive tries searching and cant find the info i need.

If you are running a single gear up front and still are using a rear dérailleur, how can you go about keeping the chain on the front gear. I am running a DJ setup and when i take a hard landing the chain sometimes pops off. Can you buy a chain guide for the front gear? or is it best to use a locked off front derailleur?

Also has anyone tried making a front chain guide? if so, do you have any pics of it?

Thanks for the help

Cheers
Scott

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate
try getting a fully enclosed guide like a mrp or e 13 guide as there pretty good and all the pros ride them:p

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Yes, they are called exactly that- a chain guide. They work better than a front derailleur locked off. Prices start around $60 on Torpedo7.com.au, right up to hundreds of dollars.

And yes, there was someone who tried making their own a while back and put some pictures up...someone else can find it.

Last edited:

ryno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How loose is your chain, you may just have too many links in the chain.

I am running running single speed on a street bike and the chain never comes off no matter how hard I hit.

Dicky

Punter God
Singlespeed is a completely different kettle of fish.
Gears and a chain device are what we're talking about here.

Having said that, your chain may indeed be too long.

- take chain off bike (with a chain breaker tool)
- run chain around largest cog at both ends, ignoring the derailleur
- hold the ends together
- add two links (1 link = 1 set of inner plates + 1 set of outer plates)

Should be about right...

A locked out front mech is a half-reasonable ghetto solution, but it's worlds apart from doing things properly.

Check out any 4x or downhill bike/footage/photo for a barrage of examples.

avablast

Likes Dirt
If you did want to make your own, the MRP guides are easy to make, as they arent the most complicated design, with exception to the world cup system 3. Otherwise theres a whole variety at your disposal. Have a look around, do a google search or whatever and see which one suits your needs.

norco01

Likes Dirt
I went ghetto style, only because I cant get the bastard off, and i dont have a chain breaker! it works, kinda, you just have to pedal really fast for it to get back on, and it makes a hell of a noise.

Id go for a guide, if you prefer sanity.

smp976

Likes Bikes
Hey all, thanks for the replies and advice. I decided to have a go at making one of my own. Just used some stuff i had lying around, if this one doesn't work i might make a better one or just buy a ready made part.

What do you think?

Cheers
Scott

Attachments