Front Derailleur adjustment ?

schmik

Likes Bikes
Guys, I can't seem to downshift smoothly from the largest chainring to the middle chainring. Up shifting is OK. Down shifting is OK from the middle chainring to the smallest chainring but from the largest chainring to the middle chainring is crap. It won't shift half the time and grinds alot. When it does shift it takes a couple of spins before it does.

Whats the best way to adjust this ? The cable has good tention so i assume i need to adjust the Hi and Lo screws in the derailleur..... but which one and in which direction.

cheers
schmik

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
u've to far over in the high gear so u need to do this
-spin the hi screw clockwise half a turn until u can down shift properly, then u need to make sure u can still upshift. it will take time but once its done, shiftin will be sweet as

Rik

logged out
Limit screws? :?::!:

This is a bugger of a question, what gear are you in at the rear when it happens? If it isn't shifting down, cable tension isn't sweet. I don't know how easy it'll be to solve via the internet.
It could be the angle the derailleur is at, it could be how high or low it's sitting above the chainrings, it could be the chainline. I'd put money on it NOT being the limit screws.

schmik

Likes Bikes
It happens in most gears (in the rear). I'll have to have a ride and see if i can pinpoint which gears are the worst. I have it serviced by the lbs about a week ago so i assumed the cable tension was OK. If I try to down shift and it doesn't, then I push the shifter just a little more, then it usually shifts.

cheers
schmik

Rik

logged out
take it back to the shop and have a whinge, they should be able to give it a quick tweak for free.

schmik

Likes Bikes
Any tips on fixes that i can myself. I'd much rather fix on my own than get somebody else to do it!

cheers
schmik