Front Forks???

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After 25 years of riding MTB I have an observation i want to table.

"FRONT forks" or "FRONT suspension forks"????

Have i missed something? Are there REAR forks???

Not having a whinge, or knocking other riders, It's just a little funny to me.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Singular fork, you only need 1....
Agreed. Example.

"Hello kind sir, I need the fork of my bicycle serviced. It is a suspension fork."

"Hello young chap, I don't need the fork of my bicycle serviced. It is a rigid fork."

The term 'front fork', or 'forks' drives me nuts...

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clearly so you can differentiate from a rear fork:Banane42:
"Hello kind sir, I need the suspended seat-stays of my bicycle serviced."

P.S. Imagine the flex in the rear end of that thing?!

Last edited:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
"Hello kind sir, I need the suspended seat-stays of my bicycle serviced."

P.S. Imagine the flex in the rear end of that thing?!
It appears to be solidly welded at the bottom brack and have no pivot there, is it a soft-tail?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They weren't that bad... for the time (absulutle awesome on singletrack...until they crack to bits).

^ yes there is a pivot, a quite big one (most likely with a big crack in it...)
To me the term comes from the early days of suspension and full suspension, you would do something to the front suspension... fork, as opposed to the rear suspension shock, unless I was talking about the manitou, then I was just trying to explain that no, i hadn't welded a front fork onto the rear end

thats just my take, honestly I can't remember ever having said front fork... but that doesn't mean I didn't or anyone esle did and its just one of those things that nobody notices...

Sneebyl

Likes Dirt
It appears to be solidly welded at the bottom brack and have no pivot there, is it a soft-tail?
There's totally a pivot there, just at the black circle behind the BB and in the shadow of the cranks, and the link just curves around the BB shell as it goes through its travel.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahhhh fark. This is dumb. Can we simplify as follows:

A "shock" refers to a "shock absorber". in this manner, a "shock" can refer to a device that acts on a set of forks (to provide "suspension forks") or a frame (to provide a "suspension frame").