front single speed???

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you will have to remove the shifter and deraileur from the front, along with all of their cables. removing the derailur at times, involves the chain being poped and reconnected so the derailur can be taken out.

I recomend the use of a chain device/guide at the front if your running gears on the back to reduce the chain from skipping off the front sprocket. i also recomend the use of a bash ring. this isnt at all necessary if your running single speed.

if your just going to run the chainring on your cranks without a device(assuming its 4 or 5 bolt), then you will need the skinny bolts to attach the ring to the cranks, and an allen key to remove the ring which isnt required and put in the skinny bolts on the ring which is being used without the bash ring. If its a small one like 24t then you will need a crank popper to remove the arm, so that the ring can be taken off.

there shouldnt be any adjustments which are required to be done on the back, unless your changing from a cassette to single speed. which is another procedure in itself.

avanti92

Likes Dirt
as i have only a 22 and 32 tooth i already have a bash plate on there but not a guide thou thanks

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just get your bike shop to do it, less risk of you screwing it up. Plus they know what there doing and can give you advice on the conversion.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
undo the bolt that holds the cable in place on front deraliur, take of the deraliur, take of the shifter, remove the 22 and your done.

Easiest job on a bike is pulling it own. No need to spend the money at the LBS if you can do it yourself.

avanti92

Likes Dirt
then after that i pull off the 32 t and put it on the other side of the crank arm is what i have seen on others that have the same crank as me

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Answer = LBS!!! You sound way too inexperienced (no offense) to bother. Only cost, like $10.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
undo the bolt that holds the cable in place on front deraliur, take of the deraliur, take of the shifter, remove the 22 and your done.

Easiest job on a bike is pulling it own. No need to spend the money at the LBS if you can do it yourself.
He would need to break the chain in order to remove the derailleur and remove the crank arm in order to remove the 22T ring...

The above estimate of $10 is a little optomistic also...think double or triple...

Find a mate with the necessary tools and see if he/she can give you a hand...probably the cheapest option to be honest. It isnt hard.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He would need to break the chain in order to remove the derailleur and remove the crank arm in order to remove the 22T ring...

The above estimate of $10 is a little optomistic also...think double or triple...

Find a mate with the necessary tools and see if he/she can give you a hand...probably the cheapest option to be honest. It isnt hard.
Ok then, I change my answer to hacksaw and a steady hand!

avanti92

Likes Dirt
Omg

just because i am asking doesn't mean i can;t do it god, i have every bike tool i need for my bike everything i need for it i have all the chain breaks i am not mentally retarded. i have built most my bike ok so don't act like i don't know how to do things ok

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Mate, if your dig was intended at me, Im only outlining what you have to do since you DID ask...

If you have all the tools and do have some experience, it might be an idea to include this in the initial post so members are able to gauge how compitant you would be at the task. If one was to straight out answer your question it would follow "it takes however long it takes" and thats the end of the thread but these people here are kindly discussing it for you, outlining what needs to be done and offering possible suggestions. You didnt say anything to alert them otherwise and judging but the apparent LACK of info provided, I think they are well within their rights label you as such.

You also didnt mention what sort of crankset you had...it could be an older XTR set with the chainring carriers or say a cheapie budget set that have the chainrings riveted to the crank arm. Both situations would require different plans of attack. Just a heads up for next time mate.

Last edited:

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
just because i am asking doesn't mean i can;t do it god, i have every bike tool i need for my bike everything i need for it i have all the chain breaks i am not mentally retarded. i have built most my bike ok so don't act like i don't know how to do things ok
well if you have every tool you need for the job, and you said that you can do it, in a way (refer to red text above), why are you asking for our help? if you have EVERY tool to fix a bicycle, well then you must know how to do it by yourself.

we're not being mean and as AngoXC said, we're giving you advice.

avanti92

Likes Dirt
yea sorry for that i kinda raged, and by the i can do it like if some one said just do this and this i could do it i can figure it out off what you's have told me
thanks for the help:D

avanti92

Likes Dirt
if you have EVERY tool to fix a bicycle, well then you must know how to do it by yourself.

we're not being mean and as AngoXC said, we're giving you advice.[/QUOTE]

i have every tool to fix MY BIKE

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
if you have EVERY tool to fix a bicycle, well then you must know how to do it by yourself.

we're not being mean and as AngoXC said, we're giving you advice.

i have every tool to fix MY BIKE

and my bike and his bike and her bike..
your bike doesnt need a special tool.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol, irony

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yea sorry for that i kinda raged, and by the i can do it like if some one said just do this and this i could do it i can figure it out off what you's have told me
thanks for the help:D
And please dont use the word "You's". A little punctuation never hurt anyone...