Front suspension oil

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, question for the suspension guru's (armchair or otherwise).

Just wanting to improve my stiction suitation and smooth out my front forks (Boxxer Teams). Was wondering what oil people run, details like:

Price per litre, volume and weight (if you vary from the manufacturer recommendation).

All opinion welcome,
Carl

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SRAM's own fluids aren't bad. But you can run Fox or Motorex (they make Manitou's stuff) as well.
You'll only need to change weight if you're not getting the right rebound/compression range or excessively bottoming the fork out/not getting full travel with the right spring.
In fact, I believe just about any suspension fluid from motorbike shops is just as good as well (pay attention to the weight), but I stick to bike stuff.
I'm not a Boxxer expert, but most of RS's forks are the same: if you're getting stiction (with no bushing play), then all you probably need to do is change fluid (the open bath, rather than dampers) and make sure the oil seals and foam rings under the wipers are nice and wet.
Remove the sliders (drain the open bath oil out), soak the rings and reassemble, replace the oil bath.
Should solve your stiction issues.
The quickie option that helps a bit is to put silicon protectant (Motorex make a brilliant one) your stanchions.
Cuts friction conditions the wipers and stops crap sticking to the stanchions Attracts a bit of dust, but that's fine.

Last edited: