Front wheel DHF vs. High Roller

Since you don't have to accelerate with the front wheel, can anyone give me pointers as to the DHF's advantages over a high roller?

thanks,
[p

brendonj

Likes Dirt
+1
Bought my first HR the other day. Not sure where to put it - front or back - and not sure what conditions it is best for.

needaride

Likes Dirt
High Roller 2's front and back or HR2 front HR1 back... The new Minion DHR2 is supposed to be pretty sweet too.

my 2c

+1
Bought my first HR the other day. Not sure where to put it - front or back - and not sure what conditions it is best for.
For DH, either wheel. Just don't reverse it. I actually do all mountain, so they're useless to me on the rear as I need to pedal uphill in the damp.

CresoDH

Likes Dirt
For me i use highrollers if its dry but not to loose, minions if i expect it to slightly damp or loose rocky sections,swampys when its like swamp, in a recent race i ran a bald centre tread (highrollers)on the rear & a new one on front it felt great a little loose but it fast then the rain came i basicly slid down my race run sideways even in slight corners i was just happy to get to bottom in one piece .Thats my system anyway good luck man

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since you don't have to accelerate with the front wheel, can anyone give me pointers as to the DHF's advantages over a high roller?

thanks,
[p
Grip. The dhf has better cornering grip/ traction , the side nobs are more aggressive . So fo dh were drag isn't a major factor it's good as a front and rear . For AM compromise is the key so the high roller grips well but rolls faster front and rear . The high roller 2 is a great rear tyre wears well and is very predictable . Generally most run DHF on front and rear as the rear wear move front to rear and replace front ( sory to harp on )

T-Rex

Template denier
The Minion has closer spaced tread blocks than the High Roller, meaning the High Roller will shed mud better. We saw a lot of really good riders bin it in their race runs towards the bottom of the track at Coffs the other weekend, where the track was muddy but not boggy, and at that point not sufficiently fast for the centrifical force to throw the mud out of the treads. I think this was as a result of tread blocks clogged with mud.

However, in the generally dry conditions in Australia the Minion is a popular choice, but occasionally when it's muddy but not sufficiently chopped up for spikes, you might run a HR.

The other situation where a HR is useful is a track where you need to roll fast and straight line (braking) grip is not much of an issue, notably Stromlo. We have a HR in the Shed with the centre knobs shaved down, for less rolling resistence, which has been trotted out on a couple of occasions.

So in summary, IMO, the application for High Rollers in Australia is pretty narrow.

Last edited: