DH Full Custom YETI 303 Built by Bris boutique Bikes

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
All,

Havent posted in this section before so it's with pleasure that I can finally contribute a fairly worthwhile thread.

Mid last year, I got back from serving in Iraq and with a little cash to spend, had built a Nicolai BMXTB....

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160893

It was a top spec bike and a great ltitle weapon but after a little riding, i realised that it just wasnt for me. So, after a little advertising I ended up getting in contact with a guy and swapping the bike complete for a 2nd hand Yeti 303.

This was great but, its hard to ride a frame without everything else, so after he gave a massive amount of help making the decision to trade, I left the bike in the extremely capable hands of Darren @ Brisbane Boutique Bikes.

I'd had my other bikes serviced by Darren and after a few poor experiences with other LBS, I had no hesitation in leaving the frame with Darren knowing full well that, once finished this was going to be an extremly exxy bike with alot of money spent on speccing it up.

But...

After stripping the bike to give it a little cleanup, we found that there was stress cracks within the frame.

So, the only thing to do was pack it up and send it south to Grip. For anyone that doesnt know, Gripsport do frame repair and paint. The job done by these guys was absolutely amazing and I couldnt be happier!! Cheers Grip!!

After awhile, the frame was finished and returned. But, to compound the problems, we found stress cracks in the gussets of the rear swingarms. So, again, after a lot of hard work researching and networking, Darren found a small company that did Aluminium repair for aircraft. The repair work and the polishing that followed was, again, an amazing thing to behold once complete.

BEFORE

AFTER

Once the frame and swingarms were all finished, cleaned up and sitting back in the Darren's workshop, we then had the hard decision of trying to figure out a spec list and, because of the effort spent on the main parts, what colour theme to try and match a few of those parts with. Once seeing the Marzocchi's with the frame though the colours were a fairly simple decision.

More phone calls back and forth, and Darren made orders for a parts list that would be the envy of most people riding out there. Hubs arrived and Darren built the wheels. Now that we could get it rolling, He assembled the 'rolling chassis'.

Now it was just a case of waiting for all the parts to arrive. Given Darrens business, he was able to pool the best parts for the best prices and after another week or two, was finally able to assemble the bike complete and get some nice pictures taken.

And the final product....

Final Spec list is as follows:
Frame - Yeti DH 303
Rear shock - Fox
Front shock/fork - Marzocchi 888
Handlebars - Deity Dirty 30's
Stem - Sunline Grey
Headset - New '09 Chris King Sotte Voce (soft voice)
Grips - ODI
Saddle - Kore I-Beam
Seatpost - Carbon Fibre I-beam
Front brake - Avid Code
Rear brake - Avid Code
Cranks/BB- RaceFace Diabolous DH
Chainguide - Gamut P30 with bashie
Chain - Sram
Pedals - NS Legeaters
Rear derailleur - Sram X.9
Rear shifter - Sram X.9
Cassette - Sram 11-23
Front hub - 20mm Chris King
Rear hub - 150mm x 12mm Chris King
Front rim - Mavic 729
Rear rim - Mavic 729
Spokes - DT Swiss, Black
Tyres - Maxxis Minions
Tubes - Innova
Total weight - NFI. If i was worried bout weight, I'd lose a couple of kg's myself!!

Full credit and major thanks must go to Darren @ brisbane boutique bikes. I think his business and everything he's done for me has been amazing and I wouldnt hesitate in reccomending him to anyone that was considering building a custom bike like this. Whether cheap or expensive, he puts 110% into his customers and in this day and age, its a credit to him.

Darrens details are as follows if anyones interested in contacting him about this bike or any other projects....

Darren Boman
Director
Brisbane Boutique Bikes
Mobile: +61 (0)400800303
Email: darren@brisbaneboutiquebikes.com.au
Web: www.brisbaneboutiquebikes.com.au

Look forward to reading some of your comments and thoughts in the days to come.

See you on the tracks,

Woody

RMB

Likes Dirt
That bike has had some serious abuse,i would be keeping a close eye out for any more stress fractures(cracks)in the frame!!

Jilbo

Likes Dirt
That is flippin sweeeeet! Looks too good to get dirty........ Nah nothing is too good to get dirty :D

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a pity you swapped that Nicolai for a frame with so many faults. Nice that their is the repairers out there to get rigs like this rebuilt.

Good work mate.

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
most worth while post i have read in a while. Thanks for posting.. It reflects the effort put into the bike, which makes the bike look great ;)

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As rad as that bike is, it doesn't really look that nice. Why did you go for such a boring paint job with no graphics or anything like the yeti once had?

joshrides

Likes Dirt
wow thats such i nice bike, are you going to just leave it white or get it painted.
sorry if you already said something about paint, its late.

rexhunta

Likes Bikes
Jamie, have your ridden it yet ? If so, what's it like ? compared to your Brodie, or say that white Banshee he had built ?

edit : keep forgetting you won't get it til this week lol.

Last edited:

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personal Preference, I reckon the frame looks to bare, If I was you I would get a Yeti sticker kit and stick one or two of them on there, but that's my opinion, not yours! Other then that, Sexy! Ohh.. and Chris King hubs....:)

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
That a seriously nice bike those people did a great repair job and the paint looks smooth and looks like it has a great finish love the finished product ride her hard

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad to see it well repaired.
I'd be sending those images to Yeti (before pics) for some feedback.
I'm sure they'd be interested in where it cracked.
Looks good now, though!

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Such an awesome little blurb into the creation of the bike, except for the stress fractures, that would have not been a delightful discovery.

Looks awesome now though and would ride amazingly. Enjoy it, would love something like that in my shed.

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
Wow! Just wow, thats simply amazing

What did the build minus the frame end up costing?
Around 4 -5 G once I had the frame. That includes paint and polishing as well.

That bike has had some serious abuse,i would be keeping a close eye out for any more stress fractures(cracks)in the frame!!
Sorted. The cracks only appeared when we removed the rear shock and the frame 'settled'. Its not something anyone would expect and Im completely satisfied with the work Grips done to repair it. Its probably stronger now then before.

wow that is bloody awesome!!!
howd you get your bars quick? ive been waiting 7 weeks now.
Talk to Darren@ Brisbane Boutique. He was the one that spent all the time and effort sourcing parts.

Just a pity you swapped that Nicolai for a frame with so many faults. Nice that their is the repairers out there to get rigs like this rebuilt.

Good work mate.
Why is it a pity?? Im sure if you did a poll to see which frame was better and/or more popular, it would have a pretty obvious outcome. I didnt see the point in keeping a hardtail that i was never gonna ride when i could have an awesome DH rig.

most worth while post i have read in a while. Thanks for posting.. It reflects the effort put into the bike, which makes the bike look great ;)
Cheers. thats the sorta reply that makes it worthwhile. It took a shedload of time to throw that all together....

As rad as that bike is, it doesn't really look that nice. Why did you go for such a boring paint job with no graphics or anything like the yeti once had?
To all that dont like the fact that its a little plain??? Bad luck. Thats the way I like it. Why don't i add stickers and graphics?? Cause i like to do things the way i want. not bend to popular opinion...

Plus, on the most sensible side, when i prang it bad during racing this year, it will take very little effort to strip the bike then send it to Grip again for the respray!! And I dont have to keep worring about re-applying stickers etc...

Cheers to all that give positive comments.

Woody

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great end result . The joy of ridding a such a high end frame is better than just going for a ride .
What did the guy that sold you the frame say about the cracks in the frame ?