Full face helmets for XC?

Reigner

Likes Bikes
Gday,

Just after some opinions on racing XC in a full face helmet. Is it ok to wear them at an event? As long as it has the Aus. standards sticker on it im assuming its ok?

I was watching at the 1st round at awaba for a short time and didnt see anyone else wearing one.

Might seem funny to wear one, but ive come from racing mx and feel much safer in a full face. I'm yet to race having only bought an mtb a month or so ago and have only ridden xc a hand full of times at awaba and ourimbah. It especially feels more suitable at ourimbah with some sections being more rocky/all-mountain style.

I've been told im crazy by other riders on the tracks too :p Its normal to me though having always worn it, ie. doesnt feel heavy.

Thanks.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
I am fairly sure you will be ablw to wear any helemt that complies with current standards, but the real question is would you want to be doing long ass hill climbs whilst wearing a full face helmet?

Maybe you are used to it, but i imagine they wouldnt vent the heat to well on a long or hot ride.

Go for it though, i dont think anyone will stop you :) Maybe just a few funny looks lol

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At Solo worlds there was a guy in a special full-face xc helmet.. regular xc helmet with a xc looking (ie vented) piece coming down in front of the chin

perhaps look into one of those: full face feel with venting and uninhibited oxygen flow

akashra

Eats Squid
I don't see that there's anything wrong with it, but if it were me I'd probably be investing in a skills clinic before a full-faced helmet :)

spikenet

Likes Dirt
ive come from racing mx and feel much safer in a full face
MTB is a long way from MX. Speeds are a fraction and you dont sit atop or are surrounded by heavy machines.

Ease into the MTB and you will be surprised at how good it feels being able to wear minimal gear and still be "relatively" safe. There is inherent risk in everything but statistically MTB XC racing is very safe!

Reigner

Likes Bikes
Thanks to those who posted the links, i've never seen helmets like those before, might be something to look in too ...

I don't see that there's anything wrong with it, but if it were me I'd probably be investing in a skills clinic before a full-faced helmet :)
If your saying a better rider is at less risk and doesn't need the protection i disagree. A more experienced rider may have less 'silly' accidents but generally ride at a higher speed and can be in a lot more trouble when things go wrong, even things out of there control.....

MTB is a long way from MX. Speeds are a fraction and you dont sit atop or are surrounded by heavy machines.

Ease into the MTB and you will be surprised at how good it feels being able to wear minimal gear and still be "relatively" safe. There is inherent risk in everything but statistically MTB XC racing is very safe!
Your spot on with the difference in bikes and speeds, but its more the rocky terrain and tree's im concerned about.

Im hearing you with the 'good' feeling of minimal gear too, i've been right into dirt jumping and street bmx riding as well and didnt even wear a helmet (as most don't in that sport). When i started in MTB i just started using my mx helmet because of the terrain (more to the point 'unknown' terrain) and the higher speeds.

I say do it. You will be "that guy with the full face helmet".
Haha. Well if any of you are at the next Awaba round and you see someone in a blue One Industries mx helmet thats me :cool:

Really, the only thing i dont like is the heat, i don't even notice the weight. I might go to my local bike shop and have a look at some proper xc helmets and see what happens anyway.

Thanks again.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At Solo worlds there was a guy in a special full-face xc helmet.. regular xc helmet with a xc looking (ie vented) piece coming down in front of the chin

perhaps look into one of those: full face feel with venting and uninhibited oxygen flow
Yeah saw him and have seen him at other events.
It is a Met Parachute and it is not legal in Australia so makes a mockery of the race rules that you must wear a complying helmet.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
We've had a number of people turn up to our courses wearing those MET helmets and they seem to provide some confidence in the wearer.
I wish these would come back... they were called "a Joffa" and were the SHIZ! I used to wear one when I raced and thought I looked way cool.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've had a number of people turn up to our courses wearing those MET helmets and they seem to provide some confidence in the wearer.
Norm, I hate getting into these arguments as they always end up in a shit fight, but I am not sure that the argument that they "seem to provide some confidence in the wearer" should over-ride the race rules that usually state that you must have a complying helmet.
I truly dont understand how I listen to a race briefing stating this and then 5 minutes later a guy wearing a helmet that is completely non complying is then allowed to start. It is not as if these are hard to spot. They stand out like balls.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I wish these would come back... they were called "a Joffa" and were the SHIZ! I used to wear one when I raced and thought I looked way cool.

From that angle it looks like number 2 is about to ream number 161 with a big yellow boner.....(sorry for not adding anything constructive regarding helmets, no pun intended, but the pic made me laugh is all).

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Norm, I hate getting into these arguments as they always end up in a shit fight, but I am not sure that the argument that they "seem to provide some confidence in the wearer" should over-ride the race rules that usually state that you must have a complying helmet.
I truly dont understand how I listen to a race briefing stating this and then 5 minutes later a guy wearing a helmet that is completely non complying is then allowed to start. It is not as if these are hard to spot. They stand out like balls.
Sorry... I wasn't referring to their use in a sanctioned race... just our experience of them. Agree about rules being enforced.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
If you wanted more protection than a standard XC lid, maybe something like the Met Parachute might be good.
Except the chin guard counts as a protrusion so it doesn't meet the ridiculous australian standard for bicycle helmets

anth69

Likes Dirt

The 'JT racing USA ' chin guard and matching visor looked better