Full Face Helmets mandatory for all DH races

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
May as well get used to it s we will be implimenting this ruling at the Lithgow State round

from MTBA
#####

In line with a recent decision by the UCI on this subject MTBA will now mandate the use of full-face helmets in all DH events at all levels of activity in Australia.

Tony Scott, MTBA EO said, "This move has been contemplated for a few years now, and with the shift in UCI policy we now have a clear directive to protect our members by ensuring that riders in DH events are protected from head injury as much as possible. Full face helmet design has also advanced considerably in the last few years meaning that new lighter weight full face helmets are available and more fully compatible with DH MTB activity."

He added, "The use of full-face helmets will become mandatory as from July 1 2006, but I suspect that this decision will not adversely affect many of our members since, by and large, they pretty much use this type of helmet for DH events anyway. Members are reminded that all helmets used in MTBA sanctioned events must comply with the Australian standard or international equivalent and must have a compliance sticker to that effect. Helmets will be checked for a compliance sticker and will be rejected and entry to an event denied if a compliance sticker is not present."

MTBA also reminds all riders that a basic safety requirement is that handle bar ends and any bar-end extensions must have complete closure by the insertion of a firmly fixed bar-end plug.

#####

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Good Move and About Time

About time, this should have been a mandatory requirement for years not just a "recommendation". Even so mtb helmets are only rated for impacts of around 30kph. I can see a move to fullface "moto" helmets in the not too distant future.
As stated in the original post the vast majority of DH riders have and wear fullface helmets, I can only think of one race in the past couple of years that a rider turned up to a DH race with a 1/2 shell helmet.

thecat

For MtnX you need a standards approved helmet. At this satge is doesn't state Full Face.

From memory MTBA guidelines state Australian Standard. Hopefully this will be ammended to include international standards

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Had a look for "equivalent standards" and found that the standard that all the quality European helmets are made to is CE EN-1078. Is this standard acceptable for our purposes? Helmets made to this standard are typically Bell, Giro, 661, Laser and a host of lesser known helmets here.
Other applicable standards for cycling helmets found are,
ASTM F2040
AS 2063.1

I think we need clarification from MTBA which Standards they intend to apply for MTB helemets for DH/MTNX and XC well before the implimentation date.
I for one don't want to be the one to advise half of the field that they can't race because their helemts "ain't up to spec"

Anyone here know more about this topic?

thecat

Incontinent said:
Had a look for "equivalent standards" and found that the standard that all the quality European helmets are made to is CE EN-1078. Is this standard acceptable for our purposes? Helmets made to this standard are typically Bell, Giro, 661, Laser and a host of lesser known helmets here.
Other applicable standards for cycling helmets found are,
ASTM F2040
AS 2063.1

I think we need clarification from MTBA which Standards they intend to apply for MTB helemets for DH/MTNX and XC well before the implimentation date.
I for one don't want to be the one to advise half of the field that they can't race because their helemts "ain't up to spec"

Anyone here know more about this topic?
I'll forward this on to Tony. Another point raised else where was the the compliance sticker is usually the first thing to fall off. Perhaps MTBA can provide us with a list of approved helmets.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Yep, I had posted about the sticker and the list.... and I'm probably not the only one to mention it either.

I also was told that there was no australian standard for FF helmets, so it was an international standard being used????

I've just checked one of our helmets and it bears this sticker...
This helmet complies with U.S.CPSC Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets for Persons Age 5 and older
Can we get Tony or Gillian to provide a list of approved helmets please??

We would never dream of riding DH without a FF helmet... but I will be annoyed if I have to go out and buy new helmets because of some red tape (unless mine are not safe of course).

thecat

BrumbyJack said:
I also was told that there was no australian standard for FF helmets, so it was an international standard being used????

I've just checked one of our helmets and it bears this sticker...

Can we get Tony or Gillian to provide a list of approved helmets please??
Correct. Something to do with the chin gaurd restricting forward and side vision.

I have forwarded the concerns on and ask if a list of approved halmets can be produced.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
MTB Helmets

Just found this on the internet.
Goes a little way to what to look for in an "approved helmet. (making a mark)

Helmet tips for cyclists, mountain bikers and inline skaters

When your neck is on the line
A good fit?
Only a well-fitted helmet which sits correctly can provide optimum protection for the head. This is a simple truth, but one that is often not followed in practice.
For cyclists, mountain bikers and inline skaters, this means that the helmet should not be tilted down toward the forehead or sit on the rear of the head. It should sit securely on the center of the head. The chin strap must be tightly secured, with the forward straps coming down parallel with the temples, and both rear straps running under the earlobes.

Making a mark
Test marks guarantee that helmets meet a set of minimum safety requirements.
For cycling helmets the CE Standard EN-1078 applies. This standard regulates helmets’ shock absorption properties and correct fitting on the head. The helmet should also bear one of the following national marks: ANSI Z 90.4, SNELL (USA); bfu R 8602 (Switzerland); BS 6863 (UK); AS 2063.1 (Australia); KOVFS 1985: 6 or SP-MET 1985.2 (Sweden) or the German mark TÜV/GS (TÜV tested).

Safety first
Even if a helmet which has been involved in a collision or accident seems completely undamaged to the naked eye, you should never use it again. Tiny, imperceptible cracks can considerably compromise the helmet’s protective properties.
Another tip – stickers or paints that you want to decorate the helmet with may contain solvents which compromise the helmet's stability. The helmet should be cleaned using water containing a little dish liquid or shampoo.

Last edited:

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Well seeing our helmets are some US standard, I thought I go hunting for the NORBA helmet rules....
1H. Rider’s Uniform
1H1. Helmets.
At all times when participating in an event held under a USA
Cycling event permit, any rider on a bicycle or motorcycle
shall wear a protective, securely fastened helmet thatഊsatisfies the standards specified in USA Cycling Policies. (See
Policy I, Sections 1 and 2.) [disqualification and a $20 fine for
failure to wear or for removing such a helmet during a race.
The fine is also applicable if the rider is not racing, but is
participating in the event.
Now I have to track down the policy that it is referring to, will add it to this post when I find it.

Just found it....
USA Cycling Accepts European Helmet Standards

TO: USAC Officials

USA Cycling has recently added the European helmet standard to its list of approved standards for legal bicycle racing helmets. In 1986, USA Cycling became the first cycling federation to make hard shell helmets required for all bicycle races. At that time we acknowledged numerous government agencies, such as SNELL, ANSI, and the US CPSC. In the last few years, the UCI has made hard shell helmets mandatory for all races, and a new standard has recently appeared on the market, the European Committee for Standardization. Helmets approved by the European Committee will carry stickers (ECS or CEN) similarly to the stickers found in all American-made helmets.

Here is the text of the revised policy I concerning helmets:

At all times when participating in or preparing for an event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club rides, all licensees who are mounted on a bicycle must wear a securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT helmet standards or one of the following standards:
(1) American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z90.4;
(2) Snell Memorial Foundation Standard "B" or "N" series;
(3) American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard F-1447.
(4) Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard CAN/CSA-D113.2-M;
(5) U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for bicycle helmets;
(6) European Committee for Standardization (CEN) standard for bicycle helmets

Riders shall show documentary proof of this, such as a manufacturer's label, upon request by event officials. Beginning January 1, 2010, only the DOT, CPSC, and CEN helmet standards will be recognized.
This is only a minor change in protocol. You as officials may request to check stickers if you are not sure about a helmet, or for any other reason for that matter. Beware that not all helmets made in Europe are legal helmets with the correct stickers.
I had a rider show up at a race with a questionable helmet. I asked to see the sticker and he showed it to me saying it was a legal helmet but unfortunately it was made in Italy and the sticker was in Italian and he was not sure what it said. I told him I did read Italian and what it said was this, “this helmet has not been tested in any laboratory and cannot be considered safe for bicycle racing”. The moral is that just because a helmet has a sticker does not mean it is legal. Look for the designation CEN on the euro helmets.

This Article Published 2006-03-03 11:26:51 For more information contact: sfarrell@usacycling.org
So as least I know our helmets are legal in the USA :D

And the original policy, prior to the amendment posted above...

USA Cycling Policies
Policy I. Helmets
Section 1. Helmets Mandatory.
Part 1. At all times when participating in or preparing for
an event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club
rides, motorcycle drivers and all motorcycle passengers shall
wear a securely fastened helmet that meets the US DOT
motorcycle helmet standard.
Part 2. At all times when participating in or preparing for an
event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club rides,
all licensees who are mounted on a bicycle shall wear a
securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT
helmet standards or one of the following standards:
(1) American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard
Z90.4;
(2) Snell Memorial Foundation Standard "B" or "N" series;
(3) American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
standard F-1447.ഊ(4) Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard
CAN/CSA-D113.2-M;
(5) U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
standard for bicycle helmets;
Riders shall show documentary proof of this, such as a
manufacturer's label, upon request by event officials.
Beginning January 1, 2010, only the DOT and CPSC helmet
standards will be recognized.

Last edited:

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I thought I should track down the UCI rules as well... seeing as they are the "world" body.

Vague to say the least....

This is for DH racing, from the UCI rulebook. Mountain Bike Races

Clothing and protective accessories
4.3.012 An approved full-face helmet must be worn both when racing and when training on the course.
4.3.013 The UCI strongly recommends that riders wear the following protection:
• Back, elbow, knee and shoulder protectors made of rigid materials
• padding on shins and thighs
• Full-length tights with protectors
• Long sleeved shirt
• Full finger gloves.
§ 3
I'm still looking through the rule book to find where they "approve" helmets....

toodles

Wheel size expert
Ha ha ha.... the most popular DH helmet ever... the Troy Lee D2 hasn't got a compliance sticker.

Well worth the $400...

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
TLD Helemts

TLD claim their helemts meet or exceed CPSC / ASTM / DE standards and requirements, what ever thay are. Have a look under the lining, you will find a shit load of small labels relating to standards, date of manufacture etc.

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
Complying should not be the only consideration

What about the condition of the helmet. There are plenty of riders out there that have a helmet that complies with the standard but are cracked or damaged. What is the use of saying it is OK if it complies, scrutineering of equipment should not only be for compliance but also "working order" as it is in many other sports.

We don't want to get to the next round and find the a helmet that doesn't have a compliance sticker won't pass, but a damaged one with a compliance sticker will.

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
dirtdemon said:
What about the condition of the helmet. There are plenty of riders out there that have a helmet that complies with the standard but are cracked or damaged. What is the use of saying it is OK if it complies, scrutineering of equipment should not only be for compliance but also "working order" as it is in many other sports.

We don't want to get to the next round and find the a helmet that doesn't have a compliance sticker won't pass, but a damaged one with a compliance sticker will.
Good point I think along with helmets, bikes should pass scrutineering as well bar plugs, Cable crimps on cable ends so on and so forth. Because if it was any other sport such as BMX or Moto X it would of happened years ago.

thecat

Wayno said:
Good point I think along with helmets, bikes should pass scrutineering as well bar plugs, Cable crimps on cable ends so on and so forth. Because if it was any other sport such as BMX or Moto X it would of happened years ago.
We may have to move rego to friday to cope with the queques.

Yep, it should be done but logistics of having the right people there to do it would take some thinging.

Do you do it at rego? What if they just bring their mates bike and helmet to show you?

Do you do it at the start line and tell some kid who had already paid his $$$ that he can't ride?.

It's a complicated mess. Some advice from higher up would be nice.

Simplest way would be to put the onus on the rider. Have a section on the waver that states helmet and bike are up to standard, with a another signature. Stating if they then were injured using dodgy equipment they have no recourse. But Legally I doubt that would stand up for a length of time equal to the track record.

Last edited:

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I think your suggestion is very good TheCat.... although it may not be legally bulletproof, I'm sure it would be a good hurdle.

Surely Farkin must have some legal eagles around that could give a "non professional" opinion on your waiver suggestion? Putting the responsibility back on the rider for compliance.

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
Your right about it being a logistic nightmare but it is done in motoX all the time, does anyone know how this is done? Yes some advice from higher up would be nice.

An example that I seen was, I went to a Moto race with a friend who was racing and they went over his whole bike before racing and they did it for about 150 bikes that were racing on that day his actually got pulled up because his clutch lever was to short (he had cut it down) and had to get/buy another lever befor racing.

What I was thinking is maybe spot checks. Maybe clubs could purchase things like a bunch of push in bar plugs to sell in pairs and maybe crimps for the cables, money to support the club and safety for all riders or somthing like that. Basic maitenence is up to the rider and I think most people look after their bike pretty well, I don't think we should check every nut and bolt because your right that would take to much time. Also the thing about telling some kid they can't race after they have paid their $$$ is going to happen if his or her helmet isn't of standard once it comes into action.

Being the DH co-ordinator of the CCOMTB club, someone who has worked in many bike shops, and still in the trade and also being a rider/racer then seeing what happens when people don't make there bike safe, scrutineering is something I have wanted to do for ages even at just a club level. These are just thoughts, but I would love to see this sport become much more professional and safe. Something to think about and something that needs to be discussed