Full Face Helmets

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
Gday,

Been looking to buy a full face helmet for downhill and downhill racing. At the moment im just using an old moto helmet which isnt in the best shape. It seems no bike shops around have these helmets to try on for sizing and ive orderered helmets from 2 different shops and they have been unable to supply.

I know everyone is abit against the internet shopping thing but it just seems to easy when you can buy it and it arrives in 5 days for 1/2 the price.

Ive read mixed messages about not being able to race if you don't have the stds sticker etc.

Was just wondering what is the story with this, are Chain Reaction helmets Aust Certified and if not, when you race is an International Std sufficient or will they demand you have an Aus Std. Wouldn't be good to get to a race and be told to go home 'cause of your helmet.

Cheers.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Perhaps you should send this as an email to MTBA?

They will let you know whether it has to be Australian Standard or not. I'm guessing that it does have to be Australian certified.

My full face helmet has never been checked for the sticker when I have raced. However, should you crash and your helmet does not do its proper job, you probably will void any insurance.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Aus standard or International equivalent, is the requirement for racing under MTBA Tec regs

dhlouie101

Likes Dirt
hay netbiker its up to you if you want to wait around for your lbs to order a helmet for you, do so but if your inpatient or cant be botherd get one of the net. also all the races i have been to they havent checked anyone's helmets, mind you im only starting races and have only been to 4, i would say they would check in states and nationals.
i hope that helps :)

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
Thanks for your help,

I will try a few more shops but will prob go for a online on then as I need it before the 30th.

Its a bit of a shame the local bike shops cant seem to provide these helmets in a resonable time (last 2 orders from 2 shops have taken a couple of weeks to then get told they either can't supply the helmet or it will take 3 months for it to come in), I realise that there isn't a huge demand for them and the cause of the delays is probably the importers/suppliers not the actual bike shop but yeah you like to keep the money local where you can.

Cheers

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Online shopping

Hey mate, I do all my shopping online these days... just bought a load of protective gear including a full face helmet from Torpedo7 (http://www.torpedo7.com.au). I just thought i'd chuck the link up here as I only found it a couple of months ago and it is f*%ken awesome*
*Not scientifically proven to be 100% f*&ken awesome but I reckon so.