G-out Forces?

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
hey,
i was just reading Acadians review of his new 05 Boxxer WC. In his article he mentioned 'g-out forces' http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2298

The new bushing length greatly improves fork ction on "slap landing" impacts, as well as heavy braking and "g-out" forces seen on today's brutal race courses.
i understand the whole concept of G forces and inertia, momentum and all that jazz. (i am a semi-qualified Private Pilot). i was just curious to the 'g-out' forces experienced on a race course, and where they may occur and so on. this is a new term to me, and im sure quite a few people may not fully grasp this term and its applications. so tech heads and physicist, blabble away if you will.

cheers- ASH

Rik

logged out
To me... G-out = hard bottom from a harsh change in the trail, such as a 70 degree slope followed by a 15 degree uphill... now that will bottom out your forks ;)

bazza

look at me
whats that? all i heard was blah blah blah g spot. i mean um. g forces. i dont see hwo you can feel them on a dh track. thats so random. RANDOM.......

MrPlow

TMBC
I think the pointhe is trying to make is the larger bushing surface area will distribute any side load on the forks over a larger area, therefore stiction will be reduced. Suprised S hasn't been here punching out some random coeffiecient equations for us :p

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so in g forces, is this meaning g's as a f1 driver would expirience, or g's as in rik said?
oh and rik, it does bottom out your forks hard, i hit the crown on my psylos on a hit like that!

DJ_Robbie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to me a g-out is, as rik said a change in terrain angle, usually found in dirt jumps (huge pits between jumps to gain speed) or just general huge downhills followed by an uphill, it's pretty much something that bottoms your forks for a fair amount of time, not because of a big hit but from inertia. You dont actually feel like you've hit a trench, good fun if you find a good one at a set of dj's or a track.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
i thought it might have been, say for instance a tight burmed corner, when the mere fact that you are going around it at speed will force your forks to compress and become almost inactive over bumps, but then im not sure how the triple size bushing will help prevent this.

as the term is used in conjunction with heavy breaking forces, i figured that maybe, as the fork lowers are pushed backwards (flexing if you will) that the fork will not be as responsive, because the lowers and uppers are not parallel to each other. the best analogy i can think of is, trying to insert a smaller diameter tent pole into a larger one, but at a slight angle. unless they are straight it will be difficult to put them together.

any other suggestions? or shall we ask the man himself?

ASH

naz

Criminally Inane
im with bonnet, how would extralong bushings stop your from bottoming?>

DJ_Robbie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, i reckon it would make it easier to bottom, because as bonnet said the lowers and uppers are more paralell, reducing stiction and making travel smoother and more likely to bottom.

danv

Likes Dirt
DJ_Robbie said:
yeah, i reckon it would make it easier to bottom, because as bonnet said the lowers and uppers are more paralell, reducing stiction and making travel smoother and more likely to bottom.
I think that's the opposite of what he said.

But maybe the longer bushing just reduces lateral flex, which you would experience in Gouts, heavy brakin, etc. (and which causes the tent-pole phenomonon Bonnet mentioned)

DJ_Robbie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
danv said:
DJ_Robbie said:
I think that's the opposite of what he said.

But maybe the longer bushing just reduces lateral flex, which you would experience in Gouts, heavy brakin, etc. (and which causes the tent-pole phenomonon Bonnet mentioned)
Thats what I said :? OK, im lost, i know what I wanna say, i just cant get my piddly brain to do it. Carry on.

S.

ex offender
naz said:
It wouldn't, and nobody actually said that it would... Acadian said it would "improve the fork action" or something in g-outs, which it would as everyone said, by reducing bind/friction.

Acadian

Pinkbike Pimpdaddy
S. said:
naz said:
It wouldn't, and nobody actually said that it would... Acadian said it would "improve the fork action" or something in g-outs, which it would as everyone said, by reducing bind/friction.
just so you know...Everything S. says is pre-paid advertisement ...

:wink: