Galah 460-7 -finished (seat and paint added)

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
nice work!!!

from the look of that shading and the dimension text thats solidworks yeah?

did u use the frame generating part of the program?
i use inventor11 at work and it has a similar sort of tool

very interesting, i agree about the rear wheel moving backwards
definitely the way to go :cool:

what grade is the tubing?
how did you find british internation trading to deal with

i want to get hold of some chromoly chainstays and tubing to make a hardtail (for starters) and was wondering how they were

how much of the travel is sag? is the 431.8mm distance with sag?

what sort of thickness are the tubes, and what sort of mass did the frame end up having?

full of questions, exciting stuff for me :)

Benj

Likes Dirt
4130 'aircraft grade'-I don't think anyone bothers making 4130 without certifying it.
The stuff we used was the 0.049' (1.2mm thick) but for the next ones were plan to use 0.035' (0.9mm) for much of the structure.

british international were fine.
greenspeed were very nice, they even showed us around their factory-very cool.

stripped the frame back today-in prep for seat tower addition. Took the opportunity to weigh it: comes in at 5.5-6kg with a vanilla rc.

"i want to get hold of some chromoly chainstays and tubing to make a hardtail (for starters) and was wondering how they were"...???
there is a bunch of stuff you need to figure out before you start-you need to carefully think through each problem you need to solve and practice/develop each process you're going to need to use.

431.8 (17'') is the sagged chainstay length-as I explained, it makes sense to design a rearward travel bike around its sagged chainstay length.

for more info on how we did stuff check out --matt-- 's thread about his hardtail: http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=60789&highlight=frame

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
That looks fricken excellent. Great save getting such a tidy seat pod on,hope the frames strength wasn't compramised and the bolts you used are large enough. By far the best homemade bike I've seen. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.
10/10

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
hell yea! im liking that more than 1/2 the commerical bikes out there, looking forward to some reviews lads.

Ryan

Radministrator
That is, at a rough estimate, about 15 different kinds of awesome. Well done guys, easily one of the finest homebuilt suspension bikes I've ever seen. Full ride report after Stromlo!

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is, at a rough estimate, about 15 different kinds of awesome. Well done guys, easily one of the finest homebuilt suspension bikes I've ever seen. Full ride report after Stromlo!
True that! That's a piece of art!

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Well? How'd it go at the Champs? I saw you riding it a couple of times, looked to be running very smooth & pretty damn quietly over the rough stuff.

C'mon, out with the ride report! :D

Benj

Likes Dirt
Well? How'd it go at the Champs? I saw you riding it a couple of times, looked to be running very smooth & pretty damn quietly over the rough stuff.

C'mon, out with the ride report! :D
well, it was quiet until the shock died... and then it was "tunk, tunk..tunk-tunk...." as it topped out.

Before the shock went it was working beautifully.

INTRO:
see previous posts

GENERAL FEEL:
The suspension action feels smoother than my old D8 and as though there is more travel on offer. This is probably due to the approximately linear rate (rather than the very progessive Keewee).
The 'cockpit' is longer (than the M/L frame I had before) and as a result it feels more stable while also giving me the capacity to put more weight over the front for cornering etc.
I'm keen to try it with lower bars to allow even more weight shifting and to help it feel more 'chuckable'.

REARWARD TRACKING/AXLEPATH:
Without making a direct comparisson between similar bikes on the same track it is hard to say how effective the rearward travel is in negotiating bumps. I guess all I can say is that I never got hung up on the rear (one OTB on the front) and that the rock gardens felt smoother than they looked.

CORNERING:
I've read a number comments regarding difficulties with cornering highpivot bikes...cant say as I had any issues: It cornered and tracked very nicely. This may be because it was designed around sag so the back end never gets ridiculously long (and starts off bloody short). Or it could be that I've never ridden anything that is renowned for cornering sensationally so perhaps I just wouldn't know the difference.

BRAKING:
braking is cool: because the axle and pivot are out of line (unlike conventional axle paths), braking causes the rear to squat a little-particularly handy when you're trying to negotiate a rock garden at low speed. It's not something you notice when riding, you just notice not being pitched forward. Maybe that's a bad thing-I suppose I should have been bombing the lot brake-less?..

PEDALING:
The high pivot also means it pedals effectively (without chain input/feedback) :It moves a little, as is natural without some form of platform, but the feel is always positive.

CONCLUSION:
Not having riden a large number of bikes and not being a particularly skilled rider I find it difficult to evaluate all of the subtleties (though given the absolute poo some unnamed australian cycling jounalists/publications come up with it seems that even professionals have trouble). The most accurate comment I can make is simply that I didn't really think about it when I was riding: basically the bike just let me get on with what I was doing. I found it immediatley comfortable (canberra was only it's third propper outing), stable and effective. And that for me is the description of a bike doing pretty much what I want it to.

DISCUSSION:
The 'ideal' DH bike would make rock gardens smooth, cornering zippy and be easy to bunnyhop and boost of jumps: ie, it would make a DH track feel like riding street on a hard tail. This is probably both a silly and an obvious statement. Never the less, in the search for this holy grail (and cos it's fun fiddling):
-the next one will be lighter​
-it will have a similar axle path (as I've said i'd like to try a shorter swingarm so that the arc is tighter)​
-hopefully it will have the capacity for a lower seat height/greater adjstment (though I'd probably end up running the seat at pretty much the same height)​
-it might (fitting them in is 'fun' and they are heavier) have a gearbox.​
-I'd like a fork with adjustable crown height so I could try it slacker without lowering the BB height any more​
-With luck the next one will have cleaner lines (why not).​
-An obvious upgrade would be the shock; a small amount of platform would tighten pedaling up a bit & 'bottom out resistance' for those pillowy hucks would be cool.​

has anyone else spotted the convergent evolution happening yet? lahar

the (vanilla rc) shock is off at DW currently (hopefully the repair bill aint too high) I've asked that they increase the rebound too-I was at the end of adjustment before it went (almost no compression dialed though so it had no excuse for dying)

and yes, if you're wondering: white is faster. stickers will make it faster yet.

Last edited:

Hamo

Likes Dirt
That's sweet..
That looks nicer than alot of other commercial downhill bikes out there..and It must feel so good to ride at the same level as others, and knowing that you've made it yourself and it's working as well as any other ride out there.

Did you get a lot of people asking you what kind of bike it was while you were there?

ruffin1

Likes Dirt
now you already have all the drawings mabey you could make another one with out a seat it looks really unique which is good.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
now you already have all the drawings mabey you could make another one with out a seat it looks really unique which is good.
And make one with a shovel holder for grave diggers.
Worthy bike,non worthy comment,much like this one,so I'll ad,how's it holding up? Any mods to it?