Gamesmanship in sport

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I played ping-pong, some competitors used to grunt really loudly as they served, or squeek the soles of their shoes to make a loud farting noise.

'Ross

Eats Squid
When I played ping-pong, some competitors used to grunt really loudly as they served, or squeek the soles of their shoes to make a loud farting noise.
Apparently the pro players do it as well, something about making the loud sound means the opponent can't hear how loud the ball has been struck and therefore will have less of an idea about the speed and spin off the ball. Waste of time if you ask me.

Another flashback of my own sporting career lol: Cricket was rained out today which made me remember a semi-final a couple of years ago where we were set to win and it was the 2nd day of a two day match, the opposition needed rain to force a draw and go through on forefeit. We all rock up and the sprinklers are on:mad: they try to claim its councils fault or something and want to call it off. Surprise. Surprise. Someones dad from my team goes and turns off the tap which had been clearly turned on by one of them and we get to play.

Someone in my team gets a hatrick, we go in to chase a low score I open and bat through to chase a small total. Then it actually starts raining. Some would say karma, I would say evil cheating thwarted by us. We lost the grand final next week however.

Knight

Likes Dirt
I'm a (nobody laugh) figure skater and there are some tactics that other skaters employ to put off their competition. Examples: during the 2 official practices for the 2 routines performed in competition, your music is played once for you to skate to and that skater has right of way. There's always at least 1skater "accidently" be in your way. And...this: "Harding is the notorious figure skater who arranged an attack on fellow skater Nancy Kerrigan during the 1994 US Championships. During practices for the 1994 US Championships, Kerrigan was clubbed in the leg and injured by a mysterious assailant. Harding went on to win, but thanks to what was dubbed "The Whack Heard 'Round The World" she soon found herself in the middle of a criminal investigation. Harding was allowed to compete in the 1994 Olympics (finishing 8th) but later admitted that she was involved with ex-husband Jeff Gillooly in a scheme to disable Kerrigan. BUT there is almost always good sportsmanship shown Eg: I had to pull out of Nationals last year due to 2 pulled and 3 partially snapped ligaments as well as cartilege damage. All of my competitors aknowledged me in some way during competition and at the presentations ceremony. And another example where one competitor dinged the bottom of his blade (equivalent of a tacoed rim I guess) and all skaters offered him their skates so he could at least compete. Many more but I won't bore you more than I have already.

So there's examples of the best and worst part of our sport but truthfully, that's occurs mostly amongst the girls (its way more competitive and serious for them due to the larger number of competitors) and it only occurs extremely rarely. It is good sports/gamesmanship that is almost always seen.

Last edited:

Ben_9

Banned
Apparently the pro players do it as well, something about making the loud sound means the opponent can't hear how loud the ball has been struck and therefore will have less of an idea about the speed and spin off the ball. Waste of time if you ask me.

Another flashback of my own sporting career lol: Cricket was rained out today which made me remember a semi-final a couple of years ago where we were set to win and it was the 2nd day of a two day match, the opposition needed rain to force a draw and go through on forefeit. We all rock up and the sprinklers are on:mad: they try to claim its councils fault or something and want to call it off. Surprise. Surprise. Someones dad from my team goes and turns off the tap which had been clearly turned on by one of them and we get to play.

Someone in my team gets a hatrick, we go in to chase a low score I open and bat through to chase a small total. Then it actually starts raining. Some would say karma, I would say evil cheating thwarted by us. We lost the grand final next week however.

what age group was this ross?

'Ross

Eats Squid
what age group was this ross?
That year we should have won the grand final! Pretty sure you were in the team, and I think it might have been your Dad who turned off that sprinkler at spotswood lol.

The year where Jordan made like 9 ducks:eek: Ben dorrington got heaps of runs, and ben mcarthy got a hat trick, and I occasionally slogged batting down the order. Memories.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At a state round for surfing, the waves were pretty solid and some concerned individuals were calling for the event to be postponed due to the groms having a difficult time paddling out etc. The groms were keen, and surfed the inside reform in the midst of a rip. One kid, a young girl, lost her board, which was subsequently retrieved off the inside reef and was pretty busted up. The kid who won the boys division, only 11, was given a voucher for a new board. At the presso, he gave the voucher to the girl who's board was totalled. He didn't need any prompting, he said he was impressed that the girls wanted to paddle out despite the largish waves. Nice gesture hey! and from someone so young.
Have seen numerous acts of good sportmanship whilst involved with competitive surfing, by far many more positive than negative.

BTW, figure skating looks really difficult to master!

Last edited:

fiddy

Likes Dirt
3 things i hate about soccer:

1) people who dive and lie on the ground for a millenium, even though it was a tiny nudge

2) people tugging on your shirt when your trying to get the ball

3) people who scream "OFFSIDE!" when it cleary wasnt and a dimwit ref agrees

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm all for playing 100% until the end of the game, whether you are winning or losing. You should be confident in your ability to play well enough to win the game fair and square, without having to waste time or try and put your opponent off, even if it is within the rules. If I employed those time wasting or off putting tactics myself I wouldn't feel like I won fairly.