Gamin connect substitute

Mad German

Likes Dirt
Hi,
for the last twelve months I use my Garmin Edge 705 to analyze my rides. Of course only for the sake of analysing.......

I was a premium user on motionbased but since motionbased had been taken over by garmin, I am missing some functions like weather details in the area, or the climbing gradient in per cent and other stuff. What I am looking for is a substitute where I can analyse my software. I came across "Sports track" but either it is too complicated to use, or I am useless. It stops uploading data and other issues.......

Any suggestion, where I can use my garmin data?

Cheers,
Mad German

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
Sporttracks.

Have you tried sporttracks?

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Runs on a PC but looks pretty good. I like the way you can customise your reports pretty much however you want. (e.g. layer E zones over the overall ride, nicer than garmin connect).

It also has lots of extra fields for weather etc. I've only just started playing with the demo so I would been keen to know if others like it.

Dylan

Mad German

Likes Dirt
Have you tried sporttracks?

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Runs on a PC but looks pretty good. I like the way you can customise your reports pretty much however you want. (e.g. layer E zones over the overall ride, nicer than garmin connect).

It also has lots of extra fields for weather etc. I've only just started playing with the demo so I would been keen to know if others like it.

Dylan
Yes, I tried it, but as I said, it stops uploading after a while..... When I uploaded a file to play with, it didn't even show a map or so (like google maps)

akashra

Eats Squid
Another vote for SportTracks. I've imported all my old Polar data going back to Feb 07, and have been using the Garmin with it since February - it's been great.

For those using SportTracks with a Garmin 705, I would suggest you mount it as a drive rather than using the importer. I use SyncToy to copy the data from the Garmin to a Dropbox folder (so it's all backed up to the cloud), and import it into ST from the Dropbox folder.

Mad German

Likes Dirt
Another vote for SportTracks. I've imported all my old Polar data going back to Feb 07, and have been using the Garmin with it since February - it's been great.

For those using SportTracks with a Garmin 705, I would suggest you mount it as a drive rather than using the importer. I use SyncToy to copy the data from the Garmin to a Dropbox folder (so it's all backed up to the cloud), and import it into ST from the Dropbox folder.

Hmmm,.... as I type I am again uploading to Sports Tracks but nothing happening. I tried it on the weekend and left it for about two hours to upload all data...... I had to close through task manager.
Can you go into detail what exactly you do (cloud)?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I use WKO+ (training peaks). It aint free but is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to analysis of 'stuff'. It works better with power stuff but I was using it with a polar and it wasn't too bad.

Other option that wasn't too bad is a tool called ismarttrain (mac though) which can pretty much import form anything.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I also use sporttracks. Never had any issues with it, check you have the latest garmin import plug-ins and drivers.

I originally just imported the rides from the "history" folder on the garmin as per akashra but now just use the true import from the garmin inside sportstracks.

Maybe try the history folder import on one ride(file) to see if its all working.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I use garmin connect and then export to google earth for a ride library. I also use sports tracks and find it ok. No issues importing from sports tracks.
Another program I use is "My Tour book". It is fairly good at giving coloured graphs for all the rides. Elevation, heart rate, cadence, gradient, speed.

emty

Likes Dirt
I use sport track. The first time I used it I just copied all the data from TC to sport track, then I started coping all new rides directly to sport track.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are on a Mac, then Ascent is pretty good. Could do with a bit of a makeover for more prettiness (it is on a mac afterall), but works fine.

edmond

Squid
If you are on a Mac, then Ascent is pretty good. Could do with a bit of a makeover for more prettiness (it is on a mac afterall), but works fine.
I grabbed Ascent on your recomendation. I really like it. It does all the things I have been trying to do in a spreadsheet and more.

gaz0303

Squid
www.strava.com

You should check out Strava. It's a website built for cyclists to log, share and compare rides.

The ability to compete using the gps logs adds an additional dimension

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Do any of the online alternatives to GC manage to reveal _grade_? That's the number one thing I miss in Garmin Connect.

I can get it in Sporttracks but sharing is kind of clunky.

Oh for those that hate the Bing maps in GC search for "GFix" in Chrome's extensions library. This does a marvellous job of switching maps back to Google on the default screen.

Got to say it's cool to see how the kilometres add up in GC over time. The reports side of things is quite strong there.

gaz0303

Squid
Do any of the online alternatives to GC manage to reveal _grade_?
strava does. see attachmentScreen shot 2011-01-20 at 11.17.46 AM.jpg

From my limited time with it, it automatically detects climbs, classifies them, and displays distance, av grade, and best times. If the system does not detect the section of the ride you want, you can manually create it.

Best function is the ability to compare previous attempts at the climb.