Gap Cycles Closed

Sam.

Eats Squid
Closing down or closed? If so, its a real bummer.

From the 5 minutes time i was in there, they seemed to have everything dialled, especially the roadies. I guess it is hard to compete with a store like ashgrove cycles that is ~5 minutes away. Anyhow, I hope they get back up and running.

Viv92

Eats Squid
I heard they were having finacial problems.
It's not that. Something about them not being able to get a lease for another year and the owner had a good business opportunity with something to do with his wife... I'm hazy on the details.

GC related activities of Saturday morning rides and Death Adder trail care will still continue.

jimmy004

Likes Dirt
mtbdirt

had a geeze on mtbdirt

MTBDIRT. Mad Aussie said:
My apologies to everyone for posting an inaccurate report on Gap Cycles. Seems the info I received was misunderstood and Gap Cycles is indeed closed for good.

Today I was able to talk in person to someone closer to the source and sadly the truth is as first thought.

Gap Cycles have been HUGE supporters of several cycling disciplines over the years through both Gary and Darcy and that's been appreciated by many. Love them or hate them, cycling in general around Brisbane is less now without them..
Apparently someone said that they could not renew their lease on the place due to making it a full food outlet thingo.. Maccas, Nandos and now ??

They will be missed. :(

ac_DHer

Likes Dirt
I seriously carnt belive it. I worked there for 2 and a bit months right before they closed and i would have never guessed this would happen in a million years. It really sucks, it was such a awesome store.:(

garfield84

NSWMTB
well maybe they could afford to stay open if people stopped buying things off inernet and actually supported their local bike shop

mazzer

It's not sandbagging. I just enjoy winning a less
well maybe they could afford to stay open if people stopped buying things off inernet and actually supported their local bike shop
im sure most people love to suport there local bike shop but buying things off the internet is so mutch cheaper and i carnt see that changing to soon:(

S.

ex offender
Or maybe they could afford to stay open if they actually followed the number one rule of running a business and found a way to stay competitive with the rest of the market. Bike shops are businesses, not charities, and the idea of some obligation to "support" them is totally ludicrous.

Edit: I don't know anything about Gap Cycles and have no ill-feeling against them or any other shop, just this guy's argument.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Do you think this is a direct result of the big scary internet buyer? I doubt it.
The money we earn is our money, not the local bike stores. Supporting your local is a good thing but looking after your own pocket (and those who rely on your pocket) is more important wouldn't you agree?

Shame the store closed down.

syxx73

Likes Bikes
i also cant believe it. it was a good bikeshop and has been at that location for years. i bought some stuff there years ago. i heard that when Anaconda opened at Everton Park that one of the partners (Allan) in The Gap Cycles took up the head position in the cyclng department and things where not the same at The Gap after he left.

i think we still need local bikeshops. i still support mine, Ridgeways Cycles which has been around forever, is old world and cheap. i have been going up to Simon and Paul for a very longtime and will continue to do so.

syxx

josho919

Likes Bikes
ok look everybody, i worked at gap cycles full time and all u guys need to no is that the shop is closed down for ever, not because of other opportunities and other stuff.

cove punk

Banned
no internet buyers

internet buying is for f*%k tarts that cant afford the real deal. you have to pay to roll with the big guns!

pack of ass clowns!

Last edited: