Garmin 24 2011,redesdale,vico,hi noon

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Jason,

Noting your comment re being patient and controlling your pace do you take much notice of staying withing HR zones or targetting an average HR through a lap or given period of time? Obviously you need to keep an eye on race conditions, competitors etc but would be keen to know what methods you might employ.

cheers
I run a Garmin 705, generally up to around lights go on the bike, usually because I can't fit my light mount and the bulky Garmin 705 neatly in and around the handlebars. Hoping to have a nice set of Lupines on the bike by Easter, hope Lupine is listening and can help me out :) I haven't used heart rate measurements for most of the year, I found it distracting and the battery in the transponder went flat and haven't bothered replacing it! I can generally tell nowadays perceived effort pretty well and work to that. Normally I would be asking/demanding about splits to guys in front and behind. But with the timing over the weekend being inconsistent and wrong there was little point. If guys are travelling well their transitions are calm, efficient and quick in and out when you are struggling you pause contemplate and procrastinate about the next lap.

As Stu stated there is certain points in the track that you tale mental notes of lap time to see how you are fairing from lap to lap, that really didn't happen much on Saturday as I could hardly see through my glasses let alone see the screen on the garmin! Eating was difficult on the course very few sections of firetrail to relax and eat so each time through transition was like a fat kid in Mc Donalds, just stuffing as much in as possible having a drink without a mouthful of mud and out again!

hope this helps

quiggs

BennyVdotCOM

Likes Bikes
Heya,

Thanks for the event, it was a fun weekend. I think more the fact the company I was with was fun more so that how the event was ran. I thought this weekend was a massive “how little we can spend and how much can we make” for FGP.

I’m struggling to see how the transponders were value for money, someone was still yelling out the numbers as we rode through timing. I can only assuming that was because there was some kind of issue with the transponders? This year we had no live times compared to last year, the access point so we could view the lives times on mobile devices never seemed to get up and running and the TV that was used for the live times last year was not up and running either.

The track was fun don’t get me wrong. However having one track for the whole 24 hours was a mistake, having multiple tracks in previous years made the event a challenge and kept it interesting.

Lack of Marshal Points was another negative. If someone has something seriously wrong it was a fair hike to any of the marshal points, I can’t remember how many there has been in previous years but there seemed to be very few this year.

Also the track bunting and signage was poor, during the night laps there were a couple bits at the end of the fire road where if you weren’t looking up far enough ahead you could have quite easily continued on the fire road and missed the track.

Facilities were also poor, look at how spaced out the camp site was and how many people there was, we should have had more showers and toilets. The scattered portable toilets were out of water and paper by early Saturday morning.

What was awesome was the team laps, it added more atmosphere to the event without a doubt. It added the whole “Social Ride” vibe.

Next Year I would recommend:
Fix the timing so we can go back to having live timing and decide whether the transponders are really worth the extra $$.

Cut in some more trails and have multiple trails.

Get a new MC and try and develop an atmosphere (maybe get a local band to play or something similar)

Squeezing the sponsor for more than a pair of socks, it would have been nice to see a Garmin tent full of devices, maybe event having a couple trial devices for us to use on our laps.

Sorry to rant, I just though it was a step backwards from last year.

just_1

Cannon Fodder
Why does everyone keep ragging out on the MC? I reckon he's a funny dude and always look forward to his next sentence.
Agree that live timing on a screen should be done, having that feedback during the race is important no matter how competitive you are I reckon.

leithel

Likes Bikes
any results?
Heya,

Thanks for the event, it was a fun weekend. I think more the fact the company I was with was fun more so that how the event was ran. I thought this weekend was a massive “how little we can spend and how much can we make” for FGP.

I’m struggling to see how the transponders were value for money, someone was still yelling out the numbers as we rode through timing. I can only assuming that was because there was some kind of issue with the transponders? This year we had no live times compared to last year, the access point so we could view the lives times on mobile devices never seemed to get up and running and the TV that was used for the live times last year was not up and running either.

The track was fun don’t get me wrong. However having one track for the whole 24 hours was a mistake, having multiple tracks in previous years made the event a challenge and kept it interesting.

Lack of Marshal Points was another negative. If someone has something seriously wrong it was a fair hike to any of the marshal points, I can’t remember how many there has been in previous years but there seemed to be very few this year.

Also the track bunting and signage was poor, during the night laps there were a couple bits at the end of the fire road where if you weren’t looking up far enough ahead you could have quite easily continued on the fire road and missed the track.

Facilities were also poor, look at how spaced out the camp site was and how many people there was, we should have had more showers and toilets. The scattered portable toilets were out of water and paper by early Saturday morning.

What was awesome was the team laps, it added more atmosphere to the event without a doubt. It added the whole “Social Ride” vibe.

Fix the timing so we can go back to having live timing and decide whether the transponders are really worth the extra $$.

Cut in some more trails and have multiple trails.

Get a new MC and try and develop an atmosphere (maybe get a local band to play or something similar)

Squeezing the sponsor for more than a pair of socks, it would have been nice to see a Garmin tent full of devices, maybe event having a couple trial devices for us to use on our laps.

Sorry to rant, I just though it was a step backwards from last year.
I would have to agree with a couple of these comments. I note a couple of things that were advertised on your website that were not there:

"Licenced Bar - Cheap drinks all weekend!" No bar was very disappointing, especially for the spectators.
"MUC OFF wash bay!" Having to dunk our bikes in a dam doesnt really add up to a wash bay............

I really hate false advertising.........

Overall I had a great time and I'm sure I'll be back next year. Enjoyed the team laps, especially doing our final team lap with all the boys in mankinis.

bradbike

Likes Bikes
We all had a great weekend,the campsite was great being able to park next to your tent,the showers were always hot after a muddy lap and everyone was very friendly,the food good and we loved the mc,he added some spice and laughter to the event,all good from our 3 teams.

akashra

Eats Squid
Heya,

You can think that all you want, that doesn't make it true.

Might be fair to point out he was only calling between 11pm and 6am, when I wasn't there.
Simply habit because that person was so used to the 'old' way of doing things. I tried to ask/insist it not be done, but wasn't worth arguing about. I'm vehemently against having anyone calling numbers ever - if you can see the numbers, you can write them yourself too.
We were spotting the whole event just for the sake of having a manual backup, and because we had a major stuff-up at rego, where transponders went to the wrong riders. This was purely administrative but the fix was in place too late.

As for the APs, I'm not even going there.

The scattered portable toilets were out of water and paper by early Saturday morning.
And did you inform anyone they were out of TP? We had plenty spare, and had anyone said it was out, it would have been replenished.

We already know the answer to this. The availability of the results via WiFi are separate from the use of electronic timing. We have no plans on going backwards.

Last edited:

BennyVdotCOM

Likes Bikes
Hi Mate,

Yeah the TP and Water issue was raised but not actioned. Thanks for your feedback, not a fan of negativity. However criticism is sometimes required to ensure improvement.

Cheers,
Ben

leithel

Likes Bikes
You can think that all you want, that doesn't make it true.

Might be fair to point out he was only calling between 11pm and 6am, when I wasn't there.
Simply habit because that person was so used to the 'old' way of doing things. I tried to ask/insist it not be done, but wasn't worth arguing about. I'm vehemently against having anyone calling numbers ever - if you can see the numbers, you can write them yourself too.
We were spotting the whole event just for the sake of having a manual backup, and because we had a major stuff-up at rego, where transponders went to the wrong riders. This was purely administrative but the fix was in place too late.

As for the APs, I'm not even going there.

And did you inform anyone they were out of TP? We had plenty spare, and had anyone said it was out, it would have been replenished.

We already know the answer to this. The availability of the results via WiFi are separate from the use of electronic timing. We have no plans on going backwards.
Any response to my concerns? ;)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hopefully snooza will send around a survey so he gets some constructive feedback on event.

On the whole Redesdale is an awesome place for mountain bike events and of all the events I do for my year of riding FGP are pretty dam good at running them.

results:
Chip timing seemed to work pretty well.

Noticed Forrest Festival had full live display etc, also noticed that's where Russ Baker ended up, where he normally does FGP events with his elaborate setup.

When I see paper results posted on the side of a van I kind of gave up on up to date results as I knew they would be at least an hour out so they're only general indicators of position.

anyway, overall I really had some fun out there in the mud, even though I was as crumpy as hell trying to keep bike on track.

was great to see such a variety of riders out there.

Baby Animal

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys,

Trying to get a hold of the photo's from the 24. seen the one's on FGP website and still trying to find more. There were a fair few photographer's out there taking pics....

I Thought out of the whole weekend there wasn't really anything to complain about!!!!!!
The sox are sweet......... T-shirt's looked kool even tho i didn't buy one and should have, Commentary was First Class again..... even tho he didn't have the Tennis Ball to Throw at late cummers to Transition....

I think that if it was 30+ in Temp then you could say they needed water and food stops around the lap... But also it is the rider's responsability to carry enough water and food for the lap..............

All in All our team's Loved slogging it out with everyone else in the mud/dry/warm and sloppy conditions......

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
I’m struggling to see how the transponders were value for money
Agreed.

Also didn't like the transponder cost + GST + processing fees being added on at the very end of the entry process. Ideally next year the full cost will be advertised upfront.

Other than that I think the event was just fine. And I like the commentator. Plenty of laughs.

Hopefully next year the muppets in the dome go to Meredith or Burning Man instead.

komponent

Likes Dirt
Hopefully next year the muppets in the dome go to Meredith or Burning Man instead.
Don't see your problem nor a reason for calling those people 'muppets'. I was there after the race and saw up to some of the Top 10 guys hang out up there having a laugh drinking beers, besides they'd been racing for the 24hrs - they were not complaining.

How stern and boring would of the race been otherwise, races need more dudes like them I say.

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
Don't see your problem nor a reason for calling those people 'muppets'.
That's a fair point. I just got tired of having to listen to their music compete with the event's music. After several hours that sort of thing really gets to me. One or the other would be fine. In which case it should be the event's music.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I was not riding, I was doing support for a solo rider. I was in the transition area for the duration and I feel these characters added to the atmosphere and to the event.
Were they the guys doing beer bongs in transition?
I also rode past a camper van that had a rather distinctive smell of "special" cigarettes in the early evening.
I guess the event is advertised "do you love the night life, like to boogie?"

I think if you come to a 24 hour and then go to sleep, you've really missed the point.

Marx

Likes Dirt
What happened to the cycling central coverage?
I might have the assumption it was bumped from the 11th.
Seeing how next week eps looks to be a collection of ‘little segments’, it might pop into there.
(After all the Cape to Cape was late Oct 2011)