Garmin 810 or 510

Tazzy

Likes Bikes
Hey mtb people everywhere ,
Who knows the ins and outs of these GPS cyclo computers and any information would be great , has anyone had issues ? . Or have they been the best buy ,cheers in advance not sure which way to go..

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
810 if you want maps, 510 if you dont want maps. Majority of the people out there using a gps will be running the 500/510

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Tazzy I was about to ask the same sort of thing
I want to use one to download basic maps , just to give me a ruff idea of trails and how to gets back to where I started from

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tazzy I was about to ask the same sort of thing
I want to use one to download basic maps , just to give me a ruff idea of trails and how to gets back to where I started from
Can use the bluetooth to overlay your route onto your smartphone with the LiveTracking feature which is on both 510 and 810.

Want maps? Carry your smartphone with you. Don't like carrying your phone and still want maps? Get the 810.

Shameless plug: my garmin 800 on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-E...931?pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item3cd5fc7d5b

Last edited:

mxracer92

Likes Dirt
i have a 810 for sale if u interested , PM me , it be good price
looking on ebay 510 are about $320-350
810 $480 and up

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
I am not sure about the 510, but I do have a 500 and you can create and download courses using the Garmin website. You can then view the map on the device and if activated when you ride it will beep when you head off course.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

I too have been considering 510 or 810. As others have said, want maps get the 810, is it useful, my feedback is shityeah. Don't want maps 510 is excellent. Reckon I will be getting the 810 as not only do I ride mtb solo in the middle of no-where on occasion but also head way out on roadie in them there hills too, so maps will be my friend.

Best and most in-depth review I have come across is via this link, hope it helps http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review.html

Regards,

Mars.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
rumblefish, that sounds like what I'm after,
as an example, i'm going to glenrock in a couple of weeks
so would like to download some sort of basic map just as a guide
im not sure if the maps im referring to are the same maps that are on the 810

Tazzy

Likes Bikes
Thanks

Sounds like the 810 is the go for me . I know I can get it for around 500 on cycling websites but my mountains will do it for 600 so am happy with that as warranty and help setting it up is just way easier when lbs is involed. Does anyone know if you have a PDF of anarea with maps on it canyon load them into the GPS or do you have to ride them first..?

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Sounds like the 810 is the go for me . I know I can get it for around 500 on cycling websites but my mountains will do it for 600 so am happy with that as warranty and help setting it up is just way easier when lbs is involed. Does anyone know if you have a PDF of anarea with maps on it canyon load them into the GPS or do you have to ride them first..?
You can buy topo maps online that you can load (heard of open source torrents but researched it myself) and fairly sure you can download gpx files from strava and elsewhere to load too. Not sure about PDF, don't think it holds enough coordinate info.

Local north east Melbourne shop I work at have them at $450 unit or $550 bundles if you're interested, follow the link in my signature.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Recently bought an 810 full bundle at a LBS, they were only a few bucks more than 99bikes so it was a no brainer.

Yes download other peoples GPX files from strava, garmin, ridewithGPS... ect then get guided around the trail turn by turn as if they were showing you themselves.

There is free maps avaliable but I just bought the garmin topo's as it saves any messing around.

Tazzy

Likes Bikes
Is it easy enough to do as in put maps on and what is strava to bye the way
:scared::mullet:
Recently bought an 810 full bundle at a LBS, they were only a few bucks more than 99bikes so it was a no brainer.

Yes download other peoples GPX files from strava, garmin, ridewithGPS... ect then get guided around the trail turn by turn as if they were showing you themselves.

There is free maps avaliable but I just bought the garmin topo's as it saves any messing around.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Just get an 800 or 810 and you'll never need to upgrade.
Got an 800 about two years ago and does everything I will ever need and more.
Something you can grow into as your needs change.

wombat

Lives in a hole
So routable mapping of trails works, even if they're not on the garmin maps?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Only issue I have heard with the 810 was it wasn't able to detect my friends powertap powermeter (despite numerous software updates, etc).
The old garmin 500 detected it right away.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ok, spanner in the works.

The most popular option amongst guys who do serious GPS following and camping on their bikes seems to be the etrex 20- much cheaper as well. But is designed from the ground up for mapping and following trails. You just need to get a mount for it.

If I had my time over, I think I would just use the smart phone for strava, and an etrex 20 for finding trails

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Pharmaboy , good call , that unit sounds better as I don't really need all the bullshit (calories, heart rate) that the others have
as long as i can download trails from web sites, it looks sturdier than the others as well as cheaper

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
rumblefish, that sounds like what I'm after,
as an example, i'm going to glenrock in a couple of weeks
so would like to download some sort of basic map just as a guide
im not sure if the maps im referring to are the same maps that are on the 810
Hi bowtaj, the 500 allows you to dump a map that someone else has created and made public. Also, the Garmin site comes with google/bing maps where you can zoom in and plot your own map. You then download it to your unit and you're off, the 500 will let you know when you go off course. I am pretty sure that the map function on the 810 is more advanced but the 500’s maps are great for what I want. I have ridden Glenrock before but I noticed the other day a map that someone has made public and it has sections that I haven’t been on so I've downloaded them and will give them a go tomorrow.

Pharmaboy , good call , that unit sounds better as I don't really need all the bullshit (calories, heart rate) that the others have
as long as i can download trails from web sites, it looks sturdier than the others as well as cheaper
The 500 does have calories and HR and a stack of other information,much of which you will never use.