garmin edge 500

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Does anyone know whether the 800 can charge on the run? I browsed the linked review but couldn't get a clear answer on it.
The forums would suggest if you're willing to craft your own cable, the you might be able to get it to go, or there's a couple of products out there that work with it. The forum would also suggest that it might be a firmware fix that may make this problem go away...

check out forum.garmin.com

Of note, the 800 has the usb port in a much more "plug the charger in while on the go" friendly location.

HTH

Cheers
Spoonie

axie

Likes Bikes
My Garmin 500 is approximately 15% off in regards to distance / speed. It doesn't appear to matter whether the GPS is turned off or not. Does anything have any suggestions?

bingobong

Likes Bikes
GPS Battery Life

I've always meant to try this out but has anyone ever turned off the GPS satelite receiver and just run the HR, cadence and speed sensor? Maybe that's one way to get the Edge 500 to last 24hrs by turning off the GPS receiver after the first few laps as you don't really need the same data points over and over again in a 24hr race. Would be interesting to know if this significantly extends the battery life or not if anyone has done this.

dyon

Likes Bikes
Lastly, the unit isn't completely waterproof. It got rained on for a while (riding in the rain for maybe an hour) and it had a little steam on the inside of the screen that night. I always make sure the usb-port cover is on right, but it's not exactly a snug fit. The unit has been rained on a little since, and has been OK though.
Take care with that, I got "steam" in my 705 and a few days later it was dead.

If the 500 is like the 705 then the USB (and mini SD card port) are not where the water can get it in as they're sealed well. I think the rubber around the buttons and the actual seam between the two halves is where the water enters.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I've always meant to try this out but has anyone ever turned off the GPS satelite receiver and just run the HR, cadence and speed sensor? Maybe that's one way to get the Edge 500 to last 24hrs by turning off the GPS receiver after the first few laps as you don't really need the same data points over and over again in a 24hr race. Would be interesting to know if this significantly extends the battery life or not if anyone has done this.
In another Garmin GPS forum on this website, one 24hr racer does that on his 705. He turns off the gps (after 1 lap you dont need it) and uses it for HR data and battery life goes from 16hrs to over 24.

bingobong

Likes Bikes
In another Garmin GPS forum on this website, one 24hr racer does that on his 705. He turns off the gps (after 1 lap you dont need it) and uses it for HR data and battery life goes from 16hrs to over 24.
Perfect thanks for that. I'm planning to try it with the Edge 500 at the Australian Solo 24hr Champs at Easter - or whatever they call it and if/when they ever announce it! Otherwise might have to wait for the Scott.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I'm happy with mine after owning a 305 for 3 years (I didn't want to upgrade, but the 305 jumped off the handlebars at an inopportune moment).

I never used any sort of mapping function that much with the 305, so the lack of mapping on the 500 doesn't bother me.

I've only used it once offroad, but for commuting, it appears to be just as good as the 305. The handlebar mount is better than my old ones too.