Garmin heart rate monitors

ronster44

Likes Dirt
HI I`ve had my Garmin edge 500 for one week and on the 4th ride no heart rate would register on the unit,it seams the heart rate monitor stop working. Ive replaced the battery no go still not working but out of the blue it start working again all but irregular one minute its OK then it stops again has any one else had a problem with garmin heart rate monitors? I had a cat-eye computer before the garmin and the same thing happened only after 2 years use.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Ronnster, welcome to the Garmin club. I expect to see training profiles from your various rides posted soon.

I replaced the batteries in my monitor as they had been sitting on the shelf of the LBS for god-knows-how-long. I have only had intermittent trouble with my heart rate. I put it down to two things.
Firstly, poor contact between the chest wall and the electrodes. They have to be wet, with a solution that conducts electricity (sweat works nicely). They have to be in good contact with the skin. Might be a good excuse to get that uber-metro chest wax...
Secondly, if it happens in a particular geographic area, it may be interference, although I would have thought this to be unliekly with modern HRMs. I have noticed on my ragular rides that on a certain section of the Fernleigh track my HR climbs into the 170s despite the fact that I am rolling downhill. I doubt it's a bona-fide arrythmia (and you'd think I'd know), so I put it down to interference from ?overhead wires ?wi-fi ?who knows.

If it's neither of these, then yeah it may be a warranty job.

dresch

Likes Bikes
We need to start an official Garmin geeks thread.

I've had faultless HR recording with the 705, but the calorie count is WAY out.

fezi

Likes Dirt

Garmins algorithm for calculating calorie expenditure is garbage. There is a fix for it out there but it escapes me where it lives... one of the other geeks will more than likely know where it is on the net.

HR strap needs a bit of moisture to work better. As Dr Rob said. Don't forget to pair it up with your head unit as its Ant+ and they are a paired device.

quiggs

Likes Dirt

The calorie calculation is waaaay off on the garmin, and have found the polar calculation to be consistently most accurate. I have a 705 also and have only had one heartrate issue, but used to have countless issues heart rate when using the cadence sensor, have since taken it off the bike and the heartrate accuracy has been perfect.

quiggs

akashra

Eats Squid
Of all devices on the market, Polars is the only calorie count that even remotely accurate - this being due to the fact that Polar own all the patents that allow anyone to use a calculation that comes anywhere close. The result is everyone else has to deliberately use a BS formula.

Welcome to my world, where software patents kill products and competitors.

John U

MTB Precision
HI I`ve had my Garmin edge 500 for one week and on the 4th ride no heart rate would register on the unit,it seams the heart rate monitor stop working. Ive replaced the battery no go still not working but out of the blue it start working again all but irregular one minute its OK then it stops again has any one else had a problem with garmin heart rate monitors? I had a cat-eye computer before the garmin and the same thing happened only after 2 years use.
I have had an edge 305 since mid 2007 and only recently changed the battery in the sensor strap. I always give the sensors a lick before I put it on to make sure the contact is right, and make sure the strap is tight. I very rarely have an issue in getting a heart rate reading. Just make sure its reasonably clean before giving it a lick.

Rookie

Likes Dirt
I have changed over to Garmin after being an avid Polar user for years. I became dissapointed with
a. the price of Polar products
b. the long term usability of the newer products
c. Polar's inability to use Ant technology thereby keeping you limited to their proprietry products.

If you haven't already, I would suggest running the sensor ends (on the straps) under the tap before putting it on (warm water if its winter). If you stop riding (latte time) and it dries out HR data will be random or non existent. If that doesn't correct it make sure the strap is contacting the chest properly.

Warranty: Garmin are excellent with their warranty policy and if your product isn't working will replace it no questions. Contact the place of purchase, if they stuff you around contact the Australian distributor via the Aust website. I bought my Garmins through firstendurance.com.au and they have been very good if required to replace any faulty products for me and my friends. These problems have been minimal though.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Ronnster, welcome to the Garmin club. I expect to see training profiles from your various rides posted soon.
Except Garmin Connect won't let me post my 12-13hrs from the port macq race for some reason.

Cheers
Spoonie

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Except Garmin Connect won't let me post my 12-13hrs from the port macq race for some reason.

Cheers
Spoonie
Yeah, every now and again there is random weirdness with Garmin online loading / displaying large files. My file for the Kona 24 only just displays (and I got a message that it didn't load even though it did). Weirdness.

Yes Garmin software on the PC and internet is pretty pedestrian particularly after using the SRM on the roadie. Maybe I haven't discovered all the functionality yet as I seem to have an irrational phobia of instruction manuals. Does anyone use the Training Peaks software?

Pizzaz out of curiosity did you get your battery to last for 24hrs or do you have to change it part way through? I haven't tested it out for a solo 24 yet, but wasn't going to bother as manufacturers' predicted run time is c. 15hrs.

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Yes Garmin software on the PC and internet is pretty pedestrian particularly after using the SRM on the roadie. Maybe I haven't discovered all the functionality yet as I seem to have an irrational phobia of instruction manuals. Does anyone use the Training Peaks software?

Pizzaz out of curiosity did you get your battery to last for 24hrs or do you have to change it part way through? I haven't tested it out for a solo 24 yet, but wasn't going to bother as manufacturers' predicted run time is c. 15hrs.
I'm on a Mac, and I'm using iSMARTtrain, which is really useful. I found the Training Peaks site was laggy and buggy with OSX. I also don't have a power meter, so I don't use WKO+ (which looks very useful - but doesn't work on a mac without emulators).

I'm taking Norm's advice from a previous thread and running the Energiser Energi To Go strapped under the bars. Supposedly gets you the 24 hours you need. Shame there's not one for our legs.

fezi

Likes Dirt

I use the WKO+ training peaks software and its great but no real use if you don't have a power meter. Sport Tracks is better than the garmin software by a mile and dead easy to use.

If you want your garmin for a 24hr, grab a usb charger that plugs in while you ride. Energiser do 1 that works well ($30 odd) and not so heavy.

Thanks for the tip on the charger that's awesome :)

I haven't used the training peaks software as I just built a "performance management chart" in excel from formulas I found on the web. I must be an uber geek but I was taking some time off the bike after over training last year and was bored. I only have a power meter on the roadie, so have filled in training stress score for mtb rides based on duration and perceived intensity. If you're training seriously and don't have a coach it is gold.

Oops this isn't the wattage forum is it

I'm not a fan of the Garmin heart rate strap that came with mine, it's too plastic for comfort and slips on my skinny frame especially with a camel back jumping up and down on it. The Suunto bands are much better. You definitely have to wet the pads properly on the Garmin strap and make sure it's firmly in place.

The entire San Francisco Garmin Connect software development team has resigned as they did not want to move to the headquarters of Garmin in Kansas. Will be interesting to see if they are going to improve the internet software or even maintain an online presence for garmin connect? You can read more at thegcteam.com or search the garmin forums.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I have a 705 and just bought a 405Cx. I love them both and haven't had issues with either.
I think the strap is not as comfortable as the Polar but it doesn't get interference from electrical lines etc like the Polar did.
I agree that the calorie data is innaccurate but there is not much difference with the Polar figures.
We did an experiment one day where we wore both devices and went for a 2 hr MTB ride. The difference was marginal - less than 50 Cal.
I can go for a lazy 20 km ride on cycleways around town for an hour and it records around 1000Cal.
I can do a similar length ride in the hills on my MTB at really high intensity and I record similar values.
I don't get it.
Don't want to vear off topic but what PC software is good for analysing the data other than Garmin Training Centre and Sporttracks?
I don't like web apps.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I agree that the calorie data is innaccurate but there is not much difference with the Polar figures.
We did an experiment one day where we wore both devices and went for a 2 hr MTB ride. The difference was marginal - less than 50 Cal.
Yes Hugor, my findings are the same with a CS200, Edge 305 and Edge 705. All deliver pretty much the same calorie figures and they do it consistently.

As far as I'm concerned, the accuracy of one brand over another is a bit of internet urban legend that is not based upon real data.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
I'm on a Mac, and I'm using iSMARTtrain, which is really useful. I found the Training Peaks site was laggy and buggy with OSX. I also don't have a power meter, so I don't use WKO+ (which looks very useful - but doesn't work on a mac without emulators).
On OS X too, used to use iSmartTrain but now using Ascent, which I am very happy with. Don't remember why I gave up on iSmartTrain. Probably no maps, does it have maps now?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Yeah, every now and again there is random weirdness with Garmin online loading / displaying large files. My file for the Kona 24 only just displays (and I got a message that it didn't load even though it did). Weirdness.
Energiser Energi-to-go mobile phone charger. Zip tied it to the underside of the stem. Plugged it in at about hour 7 or so (apparently good to let a little charge go out of it). Still had full bars at the end of the race.

Its the shizz... and cheap :)