Garmin Vs Magellan

Hi there. Does anyone out there have either the edge 810 or the Cyclo105
looking to buy but cant justify the price of Garmin. I can get a full blown handheld GPS with built in HRM for less than the edge.
What Im really looking for is the trainer partner / ride comparison bit to be able to compare training rides on the MTB

Thanks.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
If you want to compare rides load them to Strava. Any gps that you can export a gpx or fit file from will work, or just use your phone and the strava app until you decide exactly what you want from your bike computer

frensham

Likes Dirt
as above.

You don't need a full blown Garmin 810 to record rides and compare/track progress. Unless you want maps and turn by turn guidance you could look at smaller and less expensive units. Also have a look at those by Bryton. I have the Rider 20+ and it has HRM, cadence etc. I simply upload my rides to the BrytonSport site and track my progress there. I also do this with Strava to keep an eye on my mates...

Thanks for the reply's,
I have no issues with loading to strava etc. I spose what I'm really looking for is something that will record split time or time comparison "on the fly" so to speak without having to do it after the ride (like a ghost rider for want of a better term). Most if not all my rides are over 30+km a pop. I could just use a stopwatch for overall lap but its the areas within the loop that I want to compare.
Thanks.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Ok, the 810 has that capability. I never use it. I'd check the online manuals to see if it gives you the functionality you're after

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the reply's,
I have no issues with loading to strava etc. I spose what I'm really looking for is something that will record split time or time comparison "on the fly" so to speak without having to do it after the ride (like a ghost rider for want of a better term). Most if not all my rides are over 30+km a pop. I could just use a stopwatch for overall lap but its the areas within the loop that I want to compare.
Thanks.
I have the edge 510 and it does the ghost rider..

Hugor

Likes Dirt
On the Garmin this is called virtual partner.
You save your fastest ride as a course then race yourself.
You can see how far ahead or behind you are live.
If you have to stop at a road crossing it can be a bit stressful watching your partner (self) get away!

John U

MTB Precision
Virtual partner is really good feature. A true test of yourself is racing against yourself in real time. I have an edge 305 and used that feature a lot.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The only issue I have on my Garmin 810 is while using the virtual partner on an offroad course it constantly wants to give me route guidance as well. This usually means every time I want to see my virtual partner screen I have to swipe the screen across... aint nobody got time for that.

The one thing that is good with virtual partner is the ability to speed it up, you can load your course and then tell the unit you would like to complete it 20% faster and it will adjust the virtual partner accordingly.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I ran a Magellan alongside my Bryton in the Wombat 100 last year, and to be honest wasn't all that impressed with its accuracy. Or more precisely, lack thereof. Under-read the total distance by 7km, and consistently under-read the speed by a fairly massive margin - up to 30% difference at times. :faint2: I've had the Bryton long enough and cross-checked it against other devices to be confident of its readings. Given Magellan's history with GPS products, I must say the 105 was a disappointment.

Minlak

custom titis
I vote Garmin for no other reason then I love using Garmin Connect (Similar to Strava ish but more for personal use) and I have never had a Garmin fail. We have 3 of them in regular use and they always seem pretty accurate. I even want to get the 510 for no other reason than it is new :)

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just bought a 510. As mentioned it has the virtual partner.

So far I'm pretty impressed, it's easy you use and a bit of extra motivation

ADD

Likes Dirt
Just got a 510 recently myself. The ease of use and reliability over the Magellan is amazing. I'm now convinced any good reviews of the Magellan are because they're paying for advertising space.

Excellent. Garmin it would be then. One of our short loops (22km thereabouts) will give you an overall climb of almost 700 mts.
the 50k one is up around 1830mts of climb. I am trying to beat the climb time and training for a 75k race. I would have thrown the Magellan off the mountain by now :)

Thanks much everyone.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
The a magellan is ok, but just that, ok as it is a bit clunky and in need of an update, so overall the 510 is the go here.

So I pulled the trigger myself on a new 510 for Xmas, excellent form factor and very precise readings. Then on 6th ride, as I have it running on roadie only the screen froze. It would not let me save or discard the 6th ride. So I call my mates who all run Garmin to see if they have had this issue, a couple had and a reset fixed their problem, not mine however.

I spend an hour on the Garmin customer helpline and together we work through! Reset, Reboot, download latest firmware but screen still locked on and won't let if progress one way or the other.

Now I have to say I still like the Garmin form factor I have experienced up until the point it shit itself, but one offs happen, it just happened to be mine, but it is the frustration and dismissive lack of ownership from the retail bike shop in the Melbourne CBD (that's a hint) that has pissed me off, but that is another story on which an outcome is still pending but I have noted every detail of that exchange because I can't believe they just don't give a flying f*** at all.

But for your need I state that I would be happy to have a working unit back so would still say stump up for the 510 above the Magellan, it really is a nice unit.

The a magellan is ok, but just that, ok as it is a bit clunky and in need of an update, so overall the 510 is the go here.

So I pulled the trigger myself on a new 510 for Xmas, excellent form factor and very precise readings. Then on 6th ride, as I have it running on roadie only the screen froze. It would not let me save or discard the 6th ride. So I call my mates who all run Garmin to see if they have had this issue, a couple had and a reset fixed their problem, not mine however.

I spend an hour on the Garmin customer helpline and together we work through! Reset, Reboot, download latest firmware but screen still locked on and won't let if progress one way or the other.

Now I have to say I still like the Garmin form factor I have experienced up until the point it shit itself, but one offs happen, it just happened to be mine, but it is the frustration and dismissive lack of ownership from the retail bike shop in the Melbourne CBD (that's a hint) that has pissed me off, but that is another story on which an outcome is still pending but I have noted every detail of that exchange because I can't believe they just don't give a flying f*** at all.

But for your need I state that I would be happy to have a working unit back so would still say stump up for the 510 above the Magellan, it really is a nice unit.
If the unit is faulty and not performing to expectations then nothing less than a replacement is acceptable. Hit Garmin direct with your complaint about the after sales service from one of their distributors, I would also notify the sales people that you are looking at sending the issue through the Office of Fair Trading. You might be surprised at how fast the reaction will be. We pay too much for products in this country, we need to start demanding value for that dollar.