Gary Fisher X-Caliber - UPDATED

oldbean

NSWMTB
See the latest.

Read the story:
Well, after updating my 10 year old Bontrager steel hardtail, I thought that would be my XC bike for a while. Then I rode a 29r for the first time at last years Scott 24Hr. It was awesome! Aluminium frame was stiff, fast and light. Having disc brakes on an XC bike was great, and the 29" wheels were a revelation! Bigger tire contact patch gripped better in corners and on climbs, climbing up and over rocks was easier, it seemed to float over the braking bumps better and the sweeping singletrack descents were so stable and fun! Read what Gary has to say about why 29ers rockhere and here.

However, I couldn't afford another bike at the time, and I don't ever want to sell my Bontrager, so I left it for then. I got back into DH, DJ and 4X over the summer and enjoyed riding my Bontrager when I wanted to go trail riding.

Then a broken hand in June and a long recovery led me to do more road and XC riding as I was recovering. I had the idea to aim to do an enduro race, and the Highland Fling would be the right timing. I decided to borrow a 29r test bike that we had at work to 'test' it on an XC ride as part of my training. I was hooked again. I needed to find a way to get a 29r for myself.

The 08 Gary Fisher Paragon was the bike I had ridden previously, and the 09 model would have similar spec. Spot on! But it was white! After having 3 other white bikes already, I wanted something different. Then I saw the 09 X-Caliber was going to be red! With the same frame and fork as the Paragon. Awesome! So I decided I could bring the drivetrain and some other parts across from the Bontrager, and have a unique bike. And red is always faster!

Unfortuneatly production was delayed etc etc, so it didn't get here in time for the Fling. Luckily I was able to use the Paragon test bike from work for training and the race. Riding around Lake Parramatta, Manly Dam, Yarramundi and the Fling has only convinced me further that a 29r is such a fantastic all-round XC bike.

So, it finally arrived last week on the boat from Taiwan, and I even got to help unload it from the container! Here it is, my 2009 Gary Fisher X-Caliber! (with custom spec)

Spec:
Frame: 2009 Gary Fisher X-Caliber
Fork: Fox F80RL 29, 80mm travel, custom G2 offset (trust me, the G2 thing makes a huge difference!)
Headset: Cane Creek semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Stem: Bontrager Race X Lite, 100mm
Handlebar: Bontrager Race Lite Big Sweep, Alloy flat bar
Grips: Bontrager Lock-On RL-T
Seatpost: Bontrager SSR (soon to be Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon)
Seat: Bontrager Inform Race Lite
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7, 160mm discs
Bottom Bracket: Truvative
Cranks: Bontrager Race X Lite carbon
Chain Rings; Truvative (42-32-22)
Shifters: SRAM X.9 triggers
Front Derailleur: SRAM X.9
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 long cage
Cassette: SRAM PG-980 (11-32)
Chain: SRAM PC-911
Pedals: Shimano XT SPD
QR’s: Bontrager Ti
Hubs: Bontrager Race
Spokes: DT Double butted
Rims: Bontrager Rhythm
Tubes: Bontrager Race X Lite, 29" x 1.9-2.2
Tires: Bontrager XDX, 29" x 2.2
Extras: Bontrager Race Lite bottle cages
(Got to fit a computer soon too)

Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched to get out for plenty of riding this summer! See you on the trail!

And if you're interested in seeing what it looked like stock:

Feel free to PM me if you want to buy any of the parts I've replaced!

Last edited:

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very sexy, I should probably get around to riding a 29'r one of these days. From what I've heard, there a lot more fun!

wavike

Likes Dirt
Looks great. what mad e you choose the X-Caliber over the ferrous (sort of interested in one).

Who did you buy it through (shipped direct from Tiawan)

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks so good. The colour scheme Gary Fisher have produced for that bike look amazing and the white F80 RL's, just set it off.

With all the upgrades too looks even more bling and I bet it saved a fair amount of weight.

Just curious, are the 29er's much different to ride then the 26er's? Never ridden one before, but wouldn't mind too. To what I can gather they would be a lot better for tech situations because the wheels would roll over things a lot easier, e.g. rocks etc?

krisko

Likes Dirt
OK Oldbean we need to know, that is I need to know where you picked it up from and how much?

At 6.2" it just makes sence!
The cheapest I can get a stock one for is $2600 locally. Being that the stock parts are plain crap however except for the bits that matter, I can't justify the expense. At least the frame fork and wheels are decent!

oldbean

NSWMTB
Looks great. what mad e you choose the X-Caliber over the ferrous (sort of interested in one).
The colour! No, just kidding. Because the Ferrous is special order only from the US and more expensive, and doesn't have G2 geometry, and has an eccentric BB for SSing, which I'm not interested in for this bike.

Who did you buy it through (shipped direct from Tiawan)
OK Oldbean we need to know, that is I need to know where you picked it up from and how much?

The cheapest I can get a stock one for is $2600 locally. Being that the stock parts are plain crap however except for the bits that matter, I can't justify the expense. At least the frame fork and wheels are decent!
I work for Trek Bicycles Australia, the importer, so I bought it direct from them.

As for the price, well the dropping dollar has increased that a little, but it is a fantastic bike with a quality frame and fork. I've always been told to buy the bike with the best frame you can afford, cause that is the most important thing, then the components can be upgraded as they wear out or are damaged. Most of the stock parts are pretty good, just a bit heavy. The riding experience on a stock bike would still be fantastic. Fisher dealers around the country have access to our test bikes, so you should be able to test ride one if you're interested.

That looks so good. The colour scheme Gary Fisher have produced for that bike look amazing and the white F80 RL's, just set it off.

With all the upgrades too looks even more bling and I bet it saved a fair amount of weight.
At 6.2" it just makes sence!
Thanks! I agree 100%

Just curious, are the 29er's much different to ride then the 26er's? Never ridden one before, but wouldn't mind too. To what I can gather they would be a lot better for tech situations because the wheels would roll over things a lot easier, e.g. rocks etc?
I love the 29r's for a number of reasons listed in my first post:
Bigger tire contact patch gripped better in corners and on climbs, climbing up and over rocks was easier, it seemed to float over the braking bumps better and the sweeping singletrack descents were so stable and fun!
Check the links to the Fisher website for more info.

Thanks for the feedback!

oldbean

NSWMTB
Update!

Well after a few months of riding this bike everywhere I can, I can definitely say that it rocks! From Wingello to Lucas Heights to Ourimbah to the mud of the Sydney 24Hour, it's seen a lot of kms and it's killed it everywhere. Fast fire road and awesome single track in Wingello. Fantastic flowing singletrack, loose climbs and freeride obstacles at Lucas Heights. The sweet single track at Ourimbah that begs you to attack the whole lap. It's surprising how many different places you ride on a 29r and then think, "Man, a 29r is perfect for riding here!"

After the brake pad eating mud bath that was the Sydney 24hr (although I must admit to having a WHOLE lotta fun on the downhill in the mud) it was time for a strip down and re-build and the addition of a few new parts.

Seatpost upgraded:
Bontrager SSR changed to Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon

Drivetrain changed to 1x9:
Bottom Bracket: Truvative (same)
Cranks: Bontrager Race X Lite carbon (same)
Chain Ring: E-13 (32t) This may be a bit small, so I may change to a 34t soon.
Shifters: SRAM X.9 triggers (same)
Front Derailleur: GONE!
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9, but now short cage
Cassette: SRAM PG-990 (11-34)
Chain: SRAM PC-991
Chain Guide: Gamut P-20 bash guard on the outside, Jump Stop guide on the inside
Extras: Trek Incite 8i wireless computer

Been wanting to do the 1x9 for a while, as I never use the granny ring in most of my riding, and mostly only change into the big ring to avoid bad chain lines and chain slap on the downhills. It does look a bit funny with such a small chain ring and big wheels! We'll see how it goes. I actually had to file the bash guard down a little to get it to fit behind the cranks, but it's all good now.

After a quick spin around the street it seems good. Will go offroad on the way home from work tomorrow if the rain holds off!

And, no, I haven't weighed it accurately yet. Will try to soon. It's nice and light though!

Last edited: