Gaurd recommendations

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I feel the need for knee gaurds but not sure to do elbow as well.
Do people ride with knee and elbow gaurds all the time even in the heat?
Are they really noticeable when doing normal trail riding?
Any recommendations?

Cheers
Michael

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm guessing you call guards what I call pads? If so I wear full knee+shin pads all the time. I've ripped up my legs enough to not want to again. I don't wear elbow pads but do mostly ride in long sleeves.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Yep got to agree the time you don't have em on is when you should have.
Hard to find comfy elbow pads with decent protection and don't slip and are not too hot.

moorey

call me Mia
I wear fox launch enduro knee pads hot or cold. Barely notice them, although not enough protection for real rocky landings.
I can’t stomach wearing elbow padding...even though I should, and suffer the consequences regularly :(

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wear fox launch enduro knee pads hot or cold. Barely notice them, although not enough protection for real rocky landings.
I can’t stomach wearing elbow padding...even though I should, and suffer the consequences regularly :(
Been looking these, so they actually work? They look marginally thicker than my knee warmers. What’s your version of rocky? Cressy rock gardens?

moorey

call me Mia
Been looking these, so they actually work? They look marginally thicker than my knee warmers. What’s your version of rocky? Cressy rock gardens?
I’ve worn them at Maldon, Barjarg and even took them on transNZ. It’s thicker where it counts, but not protective like a hard DH pad....but you can wear them all day. It’s a compromise I deal with....but confess I cussed my knee a few months ago on a Cressy rock garden.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep pads is what I am talking about. I was looking at the fox launch enduro knee pads - the ones with the straps not slip ons but wasnt sure if I should go shin protection too.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep got to agree the time you don't have em on is when you should have.
Hard to find comfy elbow pads with decent protection and don't slip and are not too hot.
I will probably get elbow protection too but just use them on shuttle days.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just tried on some fox launch enduro pads. Too thin. Think the pro ones with straps are a lot thicker

Flow-Rider

Burner
I own a few sets of pads, G-Form, Fox Launch and Fox pro Launch. The G-Form pads are by far the best all rounder pads that I use the most and they surprisingly work better than they look. I find that they're easier to maintain also if you ride 5 times a week because of the way they are constructed, you can just hose them off and ready to go the next day, no need to put on soggy or smelly pads first thing in the cold morning.

Just tried on some fox launch enduro pads. Too thin. Think the pro ones with straps are a lot thicker
The pro's have a really hard plastic like turtle shell on them over your knee cap, they're a pretty hot and bulky pad all round.

I own a few sets of pads, G-Form, Fox Launch and Fox pro Launch. The G-Form pads are by far the best all rounder pads that I use the most and they surprisingly work better than they look. I find that they're easier to maintain also if you ride 5 times a week because of the way they are constructed, you can just hose them off and ready to go the next day, no need to put on soggy or smelly pads first thing in the cold morning.

The pro's have a really hard plastic like turtle shell on them over your knee cap, they're a pretty hot and bulky pad all round.
I have the g banger knee pads, super comfy, not hot at all but I think they would only be good for abrasion protection, not if I ate it on a rock garden. Probs should have elbows.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have the g banger knee pads, super comfy, not hot at all but I think they would only be good for abrasion protection, not if I ate it on a rock garden. Probs should have elbows.
I try to ride well within my ability on rocks and I've only come off on some loose stuff the size of tennis balls and it gave me a little lump on the knee but my arms were bare and it shredded them to pieces. I've seen it twice with the heavier pads were they catch on a rock and pull down off the knee, even stuff with individual straps. It's a bit of a misconception to think you have full protection even with the bulkier pads, it's just luck of the draw a lot of times.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Had an old set of 3DO 661s but haven't worn knee pads in years, about a year ago I bought a set of Raceface Charge which I have worn on many rides but they are not much more than a knee warmer with a kevlar cloth covering, never needed them in anger but not much protection... could wear them all day without even thinking about them, more a scrub pad to stop friction from a slide on the trail, will do nothing for a rock strike.

Just bought a set of the expensive POC system VPD pads, only 2 rides with them but while comfortable, they seem to gather at the back of your knee and nip the skin... might take a ride or two more to break them in and just removed a label from the back that may have been adding to the irritation... hoping the come good as they were $$$.