Gay/lesbians adopting kids - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Type Asexual reproduction into wikipedia. Tis all explained.

There are examples in animals at the bottom of the page
Yeah pretty much what he said. I was especially referring to parthenogenesis as its a bit more applicable to what we are talking about (since some vertebrate organisms do it) but there are a mass of organisms out there that reproduce asexually.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
reinforce that family structure and marriage are the only two things I can think of that have not been adjusted as yet to be politically correct.
Yeah but that's in your opinion and according to your morals. Others have different opinions and morals and wish to have a different type of marriage or family structure.

Their view could well be "who are you to impose your beliefs on me?"

treggs

Treggs Tuned
Yeah but that's in your opinion and according to your morals. Others have different opinions and morals and wish to have a different type of marriage or family structure.

Their view could well be "who are you to impose your beliefs on me?"
and it would be fair if Elbo had the same opinion. He believes in family structure and something different shouldn't be forced on him either.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
and it would be fair if Elbo had the same opinion. He believes in family structure and something different shouldn't be forced on him either.
Oh absolutely. I completely agree. He should be able to chose the kind of family structure/ marital arrangement that he wants to be involved in.

As should we all, and I think we also need to understand that others might want to be involved in different relationships/families and not judge them for it according to our own morals/values.

treggs

Treggs Tuned
Oh absolutely. I completely agree. He should be able to chose the kind of family structure/ marital arrangement that he wants to be involved in.

As should we all, and I think we also need to understand that others might want to be involved in different relationships/families and not judge them for it according to our own morals/values.
Exactly. Although that brings up another point. If we should all be able to chose the marital/family structure we are involved in, are kids with gay parents getting a choice? Hmm.. hadn't thought of that one til then.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Exactly. Although that brings up another point. If we should all be able to chose the marital/family structure we are involved in, are kids with gay parents getting a choice? Hmm.. hadn't thought of that one til then.
I think the statement "you can't chose your parents*" fits just about everyone here regardless of orientation.

*Biological of course:)

RCOH

Eats Squid
You can, when you come of age. There have been numerous cases of kids divorcing their parents or seeking guardianship from different people other than their biological parents or adoptive parents.

No child really gets a choice (unless they are adopted at an older age, then they do get a choice & will not be placed where they don't want to go) as to which family they are born to or get adopted out to. The screening test for adoption is so rigourous as to (hopefully) weed out any unsavoury adopters.

treggs

Treggs Tuned
I think the statement "you can't chose your parents*" fits just about everyone here regardless of orientation.

*Biological of course:)
Fair call. Didn't give it much thought before posting the question. I guess "Who raises you?" is a more valid question, again regardless of the situation. If gay people want equality then they should be subject to the same rules as hetro parents. i.e. abuse your kid and get your ass kicked. Child abuse is wrong.

EDIT: good point RCOH

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
On topic though. Gay couples as a socio economic group have some of the highest mean income and education levels. So although gay parenting hasn't been shown to cause any more social dysfunction amongst kids, wealthy and smart parents are strongly correlated with well adjusted and smart kids. So from an objective point of view it's pretty hard to argue against gay parents.

If you want to take a moral standpoint: if kids can actually be shown to be better off with the average gay couple as opposed to the average heterosexual couple, then on what basis can you actually oppose gay parenting other than homophobia?

Last edited:

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
Are his parents gay ? Is this about one's own parents being gay or the fact that gay couples as parents exist ? If the latter, how does this affect you ? Does it make your own relationship/parenthood any less ?

Another point is, why can't a lesbian just go and get knocked up the usual way? Is there something inherantly wrong with that ? How would this be different from a hetero single mum ? If it's 2 women raising a baby then I know a few single mums who get alot of help from their mums to raise the child. Is this the same as 2 female parents ?

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So far no one has provided a rational argument as to why same-sex couple shouldn't be able to adopt and/or raise children.
That's because as soon as you try to rationalise an opinion against homosexual parenting you end up defeating yourself when other examples of "non nuclear" parenting are broken down. Though it's quite funny watching people try :)

In the end the only reason to say no to it is "my moral upbringing says it's so", and noone can argue against ignorance, it's just not worth it ;)

'Ross

Eats Squid
Who here on this forum has been brought up by same sex parents? Anyone? I doubt it, therefore nobody can comment on it according to the logic that some are applying.

If you had a choice of whether you would like to be brought up by a mother and father, or two non biologically-connected same sex partners...which would you choose? It doesn't matter if you have prejudice or not, I don't think there would be any takers for my second option.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who here on this forum has been brought up by same sex parents? Anyone? I doubt it, therefore nobody can comment on it according to the logic that some are applying.
Exactly, so why are you posting about it?

RCOH

Eats Squid
Who would you rather be brought up by: A gay couple that loved you or a straight couple that hated you?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Who would you rather be brought up by: A gay couple that loved you or a straight couple that hated you?
Would they love me... "all night long"?

Sorry had to drop that one in. (still humming tune in my head.)

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
On topic though. Gay couples as a socio economic group have some of the highest mean income and education levels.
This is because they don't have a girlfriend. Gay male couples will bring up a child with twice the money, and twice the manliness. Sounds good to me. What if they have a girl you say? Who cares - twice as manly.

Blatantly stolen from a stand up comic

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Im going to throw a question out there. There has been banter with the words moral and natural thrown around. Comming from a news article i read a few weeks ago, scientists implanted human DNA into a non human embryo.

This is unnatural and relies heavily on science (much the same as IVF). If possible, is it acceptable for a child to be born/exist of this hybrid-embryo into a loving family (gay or straight, i think both are entitled to children)?

I know this is future science, but not long ago so was IVF. I guess what im getting at is where are moral boundaries, and are they influenced by technology and renegade members of society?

Status
Not open for further replies.