• NO

Votes: 42 45.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooks

Banned
DHDozer said:
I voted No. Like it has been said, what is the point? Reproduction is a purpose in life that we have all been blessed with and the fact that gay people ignore this fact directly, in my opinion, is wrong. I have very strong thoughts about this subject and I've debated it numerous times.
Times are changing but the purpose of life is to re create and give life. I know some couples adopt blah blah blah but that kid will get to a stage in his / her life where people will abuse and assault them because of their upbringing. Would you want your kids to be raised that way?
No, gay marriage shouldn't be leaglised for more reasons than anyone could convince me off.
So you would look down on a straight couple that choose not to have kids becasue as you did say "Reproduction is a purpose in life" "that gay people ignore this fact directly"
would straight people be ignoring this fact directly?,do you sudenly hate a straight couple?

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Yes I agree with gay marriage. People should be free to choose their lifestyle how they choose and enjoy the same rights and privleges as everyone else - they are still human beings after all.

The liberal idea that people should be allowed to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt me is wrong according to our legal system. The typical question is how can the actions of others in their private spheres of existence hurt you (in the public sphere)? The problem is our legal system is founded on judeo-christian ideas of civil enforcement of morals. Why is beastiality a crime, for example? Or blasphemy?

The problem with people who oppose gay marriage is they usually point to their religious beliefs and say that the private acts of others harms them, against their beliefs. Thats pretty medieval idea of the role of the legal system.

MrPlow

TMBC
I don't really mind what they homosexual community do.
But: Marriage is a matramony between a man and a women!
Have a ceremony, move in together, whatever. But call it something different, because it is something different.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
TBH, I don't think they give a toss what it's called, they just want equal rights.

My two mates that have been living together for 25 years, can't even claim each others superannuation when one dies, just like a married couple can. Why not?

kevpun

Likes Bikes
johnny said:
All we've heard from you is a dogmatic "It's wrong, it's soo un-natural" without a shred of reasoning or rationale. And now when some people disagree (the polite ones I'm talking about) you act like it's YOU being denied rights. Are you an eternal victim? I don't see how giving gays the legal right to be married changes your life in any adverse way.
I see marriage as something very special between a man and a woman. Grow in your ability to comprehend the feelings and emotions of others and you'll be a better person for it. This is MY opinion!

Read my posts completely and you will see that I have NOTHING against gay people being awarded similar rights to married hetrosexual couples. BUT I DO NOT BELIEVE THEY SHOULD BE PERMITTED TO ADOPT CHILDREN.

Is is too hard for people to understand this distinction?

Binaural, do you find it too hard to understand that there are degrees of pervision? Do you also think that 2 is a fair sampling to determine the future of planet earth?

kevpun

Likes Bikes
johnny said:
TBH, I don't think they give a toss what it's called, they just want equal rights.

My two mates that have been living together for 25 years, can't even claim each others superannuation when one dies, just like a married couple can. Why not?
I have no aguement with this, what's wrong with a will?

RCOH

Eats Squid
kevpun said:
I have no aguement with this, what's wrong with a will?
Because gay partenrships are not recognised legally, family members who may oppose such union can contest a will with a lot more success than a conventional (hetero) marriage.

kevpun

Likes Bikes
RCOH said:
Because gay partenrships are not recognised legally, family members who may oppose such union can contest a will with a lot more success than a conventional (hetero) marriage.
Fine, that's valid. But like I've said, come up with something different in terms of a legal relationship that meets the needs of the gay community. Just don't call it a marriage and don't let them adopt children and I'll be perfectly happy.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
If it doesn't negatively affect you, then why should you prevent it?

Gay people deserve all the same rights that normal people do. People are people.

If there is another way to achieve all the legal ramifications of marriage, such as wills, property, etc... then personally I don't know why people pursue marriage in the first place... it's really just a piece of paper. Does it make two people's love for each other any more real?

However, I am married myself. Why did I do it? Because the immigration procedure for staying in Australia with your significant other becomes MUCH easier. So I guess there are compelling reasons for actual "marriage".

Don't deny people of their rights (or what *should* be a right), especially when it doesn't negatively impact you.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Kevpun said:
Just don't call it a marriage
Why not? Are you aware that the divorce rate is about 30% and climbing? It's not as if the institution of marraige has any dignity to start with. Hetero couples have been seeing to that for years.

Marraige is a bloody joke altogether. Want to speak of something being un-natural? Let's talk about monogamy and the pathetic religious ideals of maraige.

It always raises a laconic smile on my dial when people try to defend and uphold the virtues of something as pathetic as marraige in the first place.

"Oh Noes!!11!! all that is good and right in the world has been soiled because two men are married!! Allz iz lozt!!11!!" I can't believe that people think marraige is so special anyway. I'm thinking of divorce, domestic violence, polygamy, polyamoury, arranged marraiges, shotgun weddings, single parants, unequal divorce settlements, etc.

What on earth is it that you're protecting here?? Is it really worth it?

Last edited:

MrPlow

TMBC
If a man and a man were meant to have a child, they would be given the body bits to do so.
Same with lesbians.

Humans stuff with themselves enough already, sorry, it just isn't right!
I don't have a problem with same sex cpls, personally I don't think it is normal, but I don't knock them, what is normal??
But some things require sacrafice, if you are homo, then you can't have kids.

Last edited:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
kevpun said:
BUT I DO NOT BELIEVE THEY SHOULD BE PERMITTED TO ADOPT CHILDREN.

I have mixed feelings on this one, being that it's not exactly a "normal" family structure for children to be raised in.

However, I do feel strongly about a few things:
1. The two gay parents can be just as, or even more loving than normal parents.
2. "Normal" families can be just as dysfunctional/abysmal as any family structure.
3. Kids with parents who want them are FAR better off than having no parents at all. If I was in an orphanage with no family/parents and I got offered two gay parents who wanted me? I know what decision I'd be making!:cool:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
johnny said:
Why not? Are you aware that the divorce rate is about 30% and climbing? It's not as if the institution of marraige has any dignity to start with. Hetero couples have been seeing to that for years.

Marraige is a bloody joke altogether. Want to speak of something being un-natural? Let's talk about monogamy and the pathetic religious ideals of maraige.

It always raises a laconic smile on my dial when people try to defend and uphold the virtues of something as pathetic as marraige in the first place.

"Oh Noes!!11!! all that is good and right in the world has been soiled because two men are married!! Allz iz lozt!!11!!" I can't believe that people think marraige is so special anyway. I'm thinking of divorce, domestic violence, polygamy, polyamoury, arranged marraiges, shotgun weddings, single parants, unequal divorce settlements, etc.

What on earth is it that you're protecting here?? Is it really worth it?
I'd vote for you.:cool:

kizza01

Likes Dirt
I completely agree that gay couples should be allowed to marry. I am however opposed to the adoption or raising of children in the said relationship. Sure, it is a loving family, something many straight-parented kids dont have, but i think the psycological effects on the child could be very damaging. No matter how loving, caring, supportive, nurturing the relationship is, there willl never be two sides to the relationship i.e male perspective/female perspective. How often have you heard that a troubled child needs a father/mother figure in their life? The majority of society were brought up in a male/female parenting environment and this has no doubt had a certain social engineering effect, meaning that people are in some ways the way they are because they have had a mum and dad (not necessairily living together). I just think that it could produce a confused child. I.e a teenage girl with two dad's gets her first period, who is in a position to explain/sympathise/ offer a sense of belonging because "i get it to honey". Or a young boy having problems with the big whack of testosterone, only the "mothers" cant explain it or sympathise (though some chicks are pretty manly)!

PS im not gay bashing and i thinki have outlined my rationale quite well, dont abuse me coz i havent been abusive either

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Maybe I worded it incorrectly, reproduction isn't the only purpose in life but it is a big thing....der.
Like I said, IN MY OPINION gay marriage is wrong.
Men and woman are born with sexual organs, a penis or a vagina. These organs are used for creating life. If a straight couple can't have kids through natural means they seek alternatives (adoption etc). I know people will say "how is that any different for gay couples?". If men were supposed to recreate with each other than why weren't they given the organs to do so? Same goes for women? A major part of marriage is to have kids of your own and raise them together. Gay couples can't have a child bearing only their genes, it is a fact of life. Don't read between the lines and make anything else out of it.
To the post that said I need to get more out of my life - this thread was raised to get opinions on gay marriage from farkin members, not you telling me what I should do with my life. I'm a very happy man. . PM me if you want to have a dig at me, you know who you are. ..I..

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
tnankie said:
but its fine for lesbians if they can find a sperm doner?
That becomes a complex issue.

People should have control over their own bodies and what they do with them.

But there are a lot of kids who need parents out there too. (in regards to the adoption angle)

I'm probably leaning towards the side of it being acceptable... but I'd have to contemplate the situation more.

BTW... it's "donor", not "doner".

Last edited:

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
kizza01 said:
I completely agree that gay couples should be allowed to marry. I am however opposed to the adoption or raising of children in the said relationship. Sure, it is a loving family, something many straight-parented kids dont have, but i think the psycological effects on the child could be very damaging. No matter how loving, caring, supportive, nurturing the relationship is, there willl never be two sides to the relationship i.e male perspective/female perspective. How often have you heard that a troubled child needs a father/mother figure in their life? The majority of society were brought up in a male/female parenting environment and this has no doubt had a certain social engineering effect, meaning that people are in some ways the way they are because they have had a mum and dad (not necessairily living together). I just think that it could produce a confused child. I.e a teenage girl with two dad's gets her first period, who is in a position to explain/sympathise/ offer a sense of belonging because "i get it to honey". Or a young boy having problems with the big whack of testosterone, only the "mothers" cant explain it or sympathise (though some chicks are pretty manly)!
Would that mean you are against a single dad raising his daughter? or a single mum raising her son?

kizza01 said:
PS im not gay bashing and i thinki have outlined my rationale quite well, dont abuse me coz i havent been abusive either
I reply in a mellow tone.

RCOH

Eats Squid
kizza01 said:

Single mothers & fathers raise children without a complementary mother/father figure. Children are not raised in isolation. I am learning 1st hand how fuckin' rewarding, frustrating & difficult it is to raise kids & i am only in the 1st 6 months. If it wasn't for our friends, family & community support we would be finding this job a lot more difficult.

So a girl brought up by 2 men has her 1st period, they call a female friend (gay men have lots of female friends ;) ) to help both them & her. A boy raised by Lesbian going through puberty they call the male friends. It's all good.

Then this girl or boy being raised in a loving, supportive gay family grows up, knows only that gay marriages/parents are fine & spreads the word to her/his friends & eventually their own children (should they choose to have any) & the cycle begins again but on a grander scale. This ultimatley will lead to gay marriages/parents becoming more acceptable in society.

Status
Not open for further replies.