• NO

Votes: 42 45.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
wombat said:
Forget gay marriage, I say we ban red head people from getting married. Why?
Come on people, their hair is RED!
And if two red heads get married and have kids then chances are they're kids will be red head too*. That's more people with RED HAIR!
Don't get me started on those damn fireheads!:mad:

kevpun

Likes Bikes
To SIC and the other various people that have trouble understanding things I believe in ...

Marriage is something special to me as it encapsulates love between a amn and a woman and eventually children and children growing and the family extending ... and so it goes.

There is nothing wrong with my view - you're all entitled to your own views.

If you think gay people should be permitted to marry and have exactly the same rights as a hetrosexual married couple, you'll have to live with the fact that I think you are horribly wrong.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
OI I've got red hair, ya want a fight?

They don't call us blueys for nothin'!

(it's actually faded to brown these days, but I still like to fight!);)

kevpun

Likes Bikes
Techno Destructo said:
LOL! Why's that? Less women available on the market? ;) :p
I can only offer this based on the various gay and lesbian people I've known over the years. I've know men that have lived through an early hetro marriage with children and changed their preferences later in life ... and still love their children.

I've known gay me that are great with children.

I've known some absolutely crazy lesbians! - Paranoid, moody, tending violent, addictive, etc.

hence my biased feelings.

kevpun

Likes Bikes
NCR600 said:
OI I've got red hair, ya want a fight?

They don't call us blueys for nothin'!

(it's actually faded to brown these days, but I still like to fight!);)
I've got almost no hair - sure, I'll have a dig :)

Sic

Likes Dirt
Dude not all lesbians are crazy and moody, same as all women arent either.

Im not saying theres anything wrond with marriage being special to you, its pretty special to me too but I cant see how allowing gay couples to marry would undermine the importance and power of your own marriage.

Im assuming you got married because you love your wife and dont want to spend your life with anyone else, a marriage ceremony is an awesome way for you to say that to everyone you know. Its you standing up and saying im commited to this person in a public display of affection. It takes guts and commitment and although its not for everyone I think its admirable. Your marriage (and those of your friends and relatives) wont change if gay people can also have a chance to tell the world how they feel.

kevpun

Likes Bikes
Sic said:
Dude not all lesbians are crazy and moody, same as all women arent either.

Im not saying theres anything wrond with marriage being special to you, its pretty special to me too but I cant see how allowing gay couples to marry would undermine the importance and power of your own marriage.

Im assuming you got married because you love your wife and dont want to spend your life with anyone else, a marriage ceremony is an awesome way for you to say that to everyone you know. Its you standing up and saying im commited to this person in a public display of affection. It takes guts and commitment and although its not for everyone I think its admirable. Your marriage (and those of your friends and relatives) wont change if gay people can also have a chance to tell the world how they feel.
Mostly agree, but still don't believe gay people should "marry". "Pair for life", fine! Similar legal rights (not adoption though) fine!

Marriage is something a man and a woman do when they love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

Gays can go and invent their own thing and call it whatever they like. They can lobby for legal changes to suit their new "thing" - just find their own name for it ....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
kevpun said:
I have a very happy marriage, I love my wife and I love my two beautiful children. I also love my parents (who also love each other and have been married for 60 years). My wife loves her parents (I kinda do too and they've been married for almost 50 years).

Despite the fact that you seem to think marriage is a farce due to ... what is it??? Statistical reasoning? I simply don't.

What am I protecting? My family.
Protecting your family against what? They're not going to attack you or try to convert your kids.

Are you saying that you can base marraige off your imediate experiences? Sorry, I'd rather base mine off what everyone's experiences are. Those experiences are that 30% of marraiges fail You can ignore that if you want, but the world does not end outside of your experiences.

Statistical reasoning is a generalisation drawn from social fact. Fact is that marraige is not sacred. That's the bottom line mate, I'll place my millions of failed marraiges over your three successful ones anyday.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
kevpun said:
Gays can go and invent their own thing and call it whatever they like. They can lobby for legal changes to suit their new "thing" - just find their own name for it ....
So they lobby, call it something like 'gayrraige' and have exactly the same ceremony, honeymoon etc. WTF's the point? Same proceedure, different name...:confused:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
kevpun said:
So it's all about semantics and one single word??!!!

Disregarding the parenthood thing (I haven't ventured into this argument) you seem to only care about what they call it! Seems like a lot of trouble/worry over one little word when the outcome is exactly the same!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ryan said:
Redheads are more likely to be communists too, which is another good reason to stop them spreading.
Ah shit. And here I was with a thing for redheads, well strawberry blondes at least...

Sic

Likes Dirt
Would you guys who are against gays getting married and having children seriously deny your OWN children these things? Come on guys all you fathers know how amazing parenthood is, are you telling me that if one of your kids is gay that you wouldnt think they would deserve the chace to get married and have kids?

John U

MTB Precision
legalise it. percentage wise it would probably have a more positive affect on the community than heterosexual marriages.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kevpun said:
Marriage is something a man and a woman do when they love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together.
OK so that is your value of marriage and your opinoin of what marriage means to you. You are entitled to your opinion. Why should a gay couple not be entitled to their own value of marriage which is their opinion? Everyone is equal, so their opinions should be of equal value.

Seriously there are so many different meanings of marriage in different cultures throughout the world and throughout time. Your definition is yours but it is no more special than anyone elses.

Like "marriage";) ?

kevpun

Likes Bikes
johnny said:
Protecting your family against what? They're not going to attack you or try to convert your kids.

Are you saying that you can base marraige off your imediate experiences? Sorry, I'd rather base mine off what everyone's experiences are. Those experiences are that 30% of marraiges fail You can ignore that if you want, but the world does not end outside of your experiences.

Statistical reasoning is a generalisation drawn from social fact. Fact is that marraige is not sacred. That's the bottom line mate, I'll place my millions of failed marraiges over your three successful ones anyday.
Like it or not, parents typically wish their children to grow up with good values. People, some of them being parents, tend to believe in their own values.

I would like my children to grow up in a world where marriage is something they see as a man and a woman choosing to do when they want to spend the rest of their lives together.

I'll take my one marriage and stack it up against all of your statistics any day. I don't believe for a moment that I'm going to end up 30% divorced. BTW, I'm not stupid enough to extrapolate my marriage and immediate relations to a planet wide model. Never suggested that. Just understand that the inverse also doesn't apply.

kevpun

Likes Bikes
NeBoS said:
So they lobby, call it something like 'gayrraige' and have exactly the same ceremony, honeymoon etc. WTF's the point? Same proceedure, different name...:confused:
WTF? Well the F is that it means something to me and obviously not to you.

It will also be very different - it will be specifically about the intent of staying with and supporting till death - not about having children or adopting them.

Do you get it now?

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kevpun said:
I would like my children to grow up in a world where marriage is something they see as a man and a woman choosing to do when they want to spend the rest of their lives together.
That is fair enough, I'm not questioning your values or your children's values. I will ask how gay marriage will affect your children's values? Even if gay marriage is legal your children will be entitled to their own values.

If you want the right to have your own opinion of what marriage means, you need to respect other peoples opinions of what marriage means to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.