• NO

Votes: 42 45.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevpun

Likes Bikes
johnny said:
So it's all about semantics and one single word??!!!

Disregarding the parenthood thing (I haven't ventured into this argument) you seem to only care about what they call it! Seems like a lot of trouble/worry over one little word when the outcome is exactly the same!
Well here's the next real problem...

Kevin says: semantics and the parenthood issue are important

John says: it's just semantics

hmmm - at least the arguement is now clear for you, problem is that your values seem to allow you to dismiss it and mine do not.

kevpun

Likes Bikes
Carlin said:
That is fair enough, I'm not questioning your values or your children's values. I will ask how gay marriage will affect your children's values? Even if gay marriage is legal your children will be entitled to their own values.

If you want the right to have your own opinion of what marriage means, you need to respect other peoples opinions of what marriage means to them.
I have the right to my own opinion. Is anybody different?

I don't think gay people should be given the right to adopt children. Giving a gay couple all of the rights of a hetro couple in marriage will potentially do this.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
kevpun said:
Like it or not, parents typically wish their children to grow up with good values. People, some of them being parents, tend to believe in their own values.

I would like my children to grow up in a world where marriage is something they see as a man and a woman choosing to do when they want to spend the rest of their lives together.

I'll take my one marriage and stack it up against all of your statistics any day. I don't believe for a moment that I'm going to end up 30% divorced. BTW, I'm not stupid enough to extrapolate my marriage and immediate relations to a planet wide model. Never suggested that. Just understand that the inverse also doesn't apply.
I never once even slightly implied that it did mate. Where on earth did I say that your marraige is one of the 30% that fails. In case you're not aware how stats work, if there are 30% of yes's, that means that by default that there are 70% no's. You obviously fall into the happily married range, I never once disputed that. Geez, talk about twisting my words mate!

All I'm saying is that marraige as a socail institution is not as sacred as you make out. Your marraige might be, but the idea/concept of marraige is not. This is backed up by the FACT that over 30% of marraiges don't last (theirs, not yours) and this rate is growing. It is also backed up by the prevelence of dommestic violence (theirs, not yours), polygamy/extra-marital affairs (theirs, not yours) and so on.

The institution you are defending is crumbling because of the behaviour of heterosexuals. Maybe you might wish to defend your kids against them insterad mate?

Yes, parents do want their kids to grow up with good values. What your values are compared to others will be different. Why should yours be over and above others when their needs and wants don't affect your child's ability to have a healthy and loving hetero marraige. I don't see how gay marraige will affect your child's ability to have their own hetero relationship. I don't see why the value you place on your union is threatened by other people's values on the same matter.

No gay marraige laws = a happy marraige for you and your wife

Gay marraige laws = a happy marraige for you and your wife, if your marraige is as solid as you say it is. What, are you both going to stop loving each other because a bloke married another bloke? It doesn't affect you, unless you think marraige is a club that you want to restrict to people just like you.

WTF? Well the F is that it means something to me and obviously not to you.

It will also be very different - it will be specifically about the intent of staying with and supporting till death - not about having children or adopting them.

Do you get it now?
You don';t seem to have a very coherent argument Kev. Where do current marraige vows involve children? They don't, it's all about the till death do us part bit....which is pretty fucking redundant anyway.

As far as I can extrapolate from your posts, you don't think they should be allowed to raise kids, this is an argument I do not enter into. Secondly you don't mind what they do, as long as they don't use the word "marraige" for what they have but other than parenthood, they can still have all the same legal rights, yeah?

So (other than kids) you're just trying to protect your exclusive hetero club called marraige based on your values alone (in otherwords, forcing your values upon some one else, having gay marraige does not force their values upon you because them being married does not directly affect you. You are arguing that your values should dictate everyone's behaviour when it comes to marraige. Why are your values more important than theirs, we live in a liberal democracy, you know, equality, fair go etc.....)

Last edited:

udi

swiss cheese
DWNHLR01 said:
As least if they are married, they won't flirt with us heterosexuals
Jeez, speak for yourself there buddy.

because you're certainly not speaking for my good friend s.

:D

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
kevpun said:
Well here's the next real problem...

Kevin says: semantics and the parenthood issue are important

John says: it's just semantics

hmmm - at least the arguement is now clear for you, problem is that your values seem to allow you to dismiss it and mine do not.
Damn, wish I'd read this before I posted my last one.

Once again, I do not enter the parenthood debate.

I can dismiss semantics when the outcome is exactly the same. You cannot? Kev, I don't think you are that superficial.

Last edited:

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
I am with johnny here, I would like to know what difference a gay couple getting married would make on you or your childrens relationships?

S.

ex offender
kevpun said:
Let them get married. In fact, stick a great big tattoo of a "G" on their heads too.

Why don't we make it legal to do anything we feel like ... how about a legal and binding marriage with a goat???

Next we'll have gay "married couples" adopting children - that'll be healthy.

I don't hate gay people, I know some that I get along with quite ok. BUT, gay isn't "normal" - there's something wrong with a person that has a same sex attraction. A perosn that's unfortunate enough to be born blind isn't normal ... I don't dislike them for it, there's just something wrong with them.

Now seriously, about marriage - can we please leave at least one value untainted? Why do we have to change everything to become gay compatible?

Soon school kids will be tuning in to mid afternoon programs like "homo and away", "bugs bummy" and "donald f^ck" - that'll get them over to the proper gay way of thinking.

Grrrr!!!
Does it actually affect your life? No? Then what's the problem? Gay marriage isn't demeaning to heterosexual marriage, people (including kids) being exposed to the FACT that there are gay people around isn't going to kill anyone, and in general there is nothing WRONG with homosexuality - it is a natural occurrence. Claiming it's "wrong" or involves a "defect" that constitutes a fair reason to remove a person's right to have their relationships officially recognised is an ignorant argument, and your analogy to blind people is completely irrelevant - I don't see you trying to ban blind people from getting married. If it's "against God's will" or whatever, that's crap - why did God create gay people (and why are there gay animals)? It's not like they can willingly change it; look how many homosexuals have had to deal with severe depression and whatnot because they've tried - due to social pressures - to "renounce" their homosexuality.

As for gay people adopting children, I'm still sitting on the fence. On one hand, there are plenty of examples of other less-than-ideal parental situations (but that said, we still try to avoid them) like alcoholic/abusive/widowed parents that still manage to bring kids up (mostly) healthy. On the other however, it is quite clear that most people regard their mother and father in different roles and have different relationships with them, and in that respect it may cause children to be brought up kind of one-sided (I can't think of a better term for that, but that's poorly worded as is). Without a full understanding of the psychological stuff going on there, I would say it's safer for all of us not to say it's specifically acceptable/unacceptable.

Edit: woops, kind of missed 4 pages of that thread. Oh well.

Last edited:

turtle muncha

Likes Dirt
i think gay marriage is fine... and i also gays addopting children is fine.
ive got some very good friends which happen to be gay, they are just like you and me but happen to like other things.

just like i like bikes and 1 of my friends likes motor bikes.

i really dont see why ppl find it a big deal!!!!

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Arete made the most valid point so far on page 3 or 4.
There are alot of children out there that have junkie parents, abusive parents and neglectful parents. If a couple (of any description) are willing to love and raise a child, then it should be allowed.

Mrs R33F and I have a fantastic marriage, and close friends of ours have a "same sex" relationship. Why should they not recieve the same benefits as a hetro couple if anything happens to either one of them ?

Ryan said:
Redheads are more likely to be communists too, which is another good reason to stop them spreading.
Mrs R33F is 5ft something, red hair, and comes 17 miles from the Nth Ireland border - with temper to match ;) I'll let you take this one up with her. :D :p

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Those who argue that laws should be their to protect values are misguided - nature conservation laws excepted.

Laws are there to protect individuals and society from harm (amongst other things). It's merely a historical fact that they have been created to enforce societial norms and the prevailing norms have been based in Christian ideas and morals. Society has move on since then.

wombat

Lives in a hole
R33F said:
Mrs R33F is 5ft something, red hair, and comes 17 miles from the Nth Ireland border - with temper to match ;) I'll let you take this one up with her. :D :p
Whoa, back it up, you're married to a leprechaun?:D

demo man

Used to be cool.
turtle muncha said:
i think gay marriage is fine... and i also gays addopting children is fine.
ive got some very good friends which happen to be gay, they are just like you and me but happen to like other things.

just like i like bikes and 1 of my friends likes motor bikes.

i really dont see why people find it a big deal!!!!

amen to that brother!

full rights to gays and lesbians! if they can proove that they are all that they need to be to have children etc. then hell yes they should be alowed to have them!

and marriage, well i think that it is ridiculously unfair to not allow it. it is a deprivation of rights!

kevpun

Likes Bikes
johnny said:
I never once even slightly implied that it did mate. Where on earth did I say that your marraige is one of the 30% that fails. In case you're not aware how stats work, if there are 30% of yes's, that means that by default that there are 70% no's. You obviously fall into the happily married range, I never once disputed that. Geez, talk about twisting my words mate!

All I'm saying is that marraige as a socail institution is not as sacred as you make out. Your marraige might be, but the idea/concept of marraige is not. This is backed up by the FACT that over 30% of marraiges don't last (theirs, not yours) and this rate is growing. It is also backed up by the prevelence of dommestic violence (theirs, not yours), polygamy/extra-marital affairs (theirs, not yours) and so on.

The institution you are defending is crumbling because of the behaviour of heterosexuals. Maybe you might wish to defend your kids against them insterad mate?

Yes, parents do want their kids to grow up with good values. What your values are compared to others will be different. Why should yours be over and above others when their needs and wants don't affect your child's ability to have a healthy and loving hetero marraige. I don't see how gay marraige will affect your child's ability to have their own hetero relationship. I don't see why the value you place on your union is threatened by other people's values on the same matter.

No gay marraige laws = a happy marraige for you and your wife

Gay marraige laws = a happy marraige for you and your wife, if your marraige is as solid as you say it is. What, are you both going to stop loving each other because a bloke married another bloke? It doesn't affect you, unless you think marraige is a club that you want to restrict to people just like you.

You don';t seem to have a very coherent argument Kev. Where do current marraige vows involve children? They don't, it's all about the till death do us part bit....which is pretty fucking redundant anyway.

As far as I can extrapolate from your posts, you don't think they should be allowed to raise kids, this is an argument I do not enter into. Secondly you don't mind what they do, as long as they don't use the word "marraige" for what they have but other than parenthood, they can still have all the same legal rights, yeah?

So (other than kids) you're just trying to protect your exclusive hetero club called marraige based on your values alone (in otherwords, forcing your values upon some one else, having gay marraige does not force their values upon you because them being married does not directly affect you. You are arguing that your values should dictate everyone's behaviour when it comes to marraige. Why are your values more important than theirs, we live in a liberal democracy, you know, equality, fair go etc.....)

We'll start with the "light hearted" 30% divorced ... meaning I'd be 70% married. Similar to having 2.3 children - understand? Mate?

I'm not defending an institution - I'm defending my view on marriage. Mine!

Johnny, turn gay (if required), get married if you like. I can't stop you if you can convince the powers that be it should be allowed. If it comes to a public vote I'll say don't call it marriage and don't let gay people adopt children.

So "current marriage vows" ... you do get to say whatever you like these days so children in/children out - you can choose if you like.

BTW, as long as you choose to duck and dive from the child adoption aspect of a gay marriage you cannot have an arguement with me as you are avoiding my significant issue.

I feel like shouting so you can understand this instead of reading into my words whatever you feel is necessary to get on your horse with...

To me...

A "marriage" is something a loving man and woman do when they wish to spend their lives together. It also makes them eligible, in some circumstances, to adopt children.

I do not think a gay couple provide the best possible environment for bringing up children.

I am happy for any couple that wish to spend their lives together and feel that they deserve more rights the they probably currently get. But, if they're gay, lesbian, whatever - adopting children and/or calling their relationship a marriage isn't one of them.

Strange how you can state my view clearly in a single paragraph and end it with a "yeah?" then follow with crap like "exclusive hetro club" and "forcing values". It's below you normal standard Johnny. Do you always sink to childish attempts to provoke people when you cannot alter their opinion to mirror yours?

Marriage is sacred to me Johnny - that's why I'm defending it. The fact that you choose to have such a bitter outlook on marriage is entirely your problem. You are the one that gives it so little value. Then your babble on about how you think everyone has the right to marry - why do you even care?

kevpun

Likes Bikes
S. said:
Does it actually affect your life? No?
Good start ... you would know would you? For the rest, I think you're a bit confused.

I'm against same sex "marriages" and their implications. People can do whatever they like as long as they don't harm others in ANY way.

tnankie

Likes Dirt
tell you what gets up my nose, those damn athiests are allowed to get married.

its not right marrige shouldn't be for those that deny god.

Bah!

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
tnankie said:
tell you what gets up my nose, those damn athiests are allowed to get married.

its not right marrige shouldn't be for those that deny god.

Bah!
why the hell not?

Status
Not open for further replies.