Gear Cable

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Hey,
I just did a search and could'nt find anything on this so yeah.
I'm just wondering what good brands and models of gear cables there are and what you guys would recommend. Also, what price would i be looking around? I'm guessing even the top brand would be fairly cheap? Thanks.

kona4lyf

Likes Dirt
pretty sure there is, "jag wire", "avid flak jacket","clarks",and a few more, ive got the braided clarks comes with the aluminium ferruls etc and the kit retails for around $40,works gr8 imo,i saw a new one out yesterday in a melbourne city bike store and it was $110,so just look around,there is heapz of diff types,all vary in prices,styles and parts, google it you should get a couple hundred thousand diff threads,there is some on here regarding it also.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
are you talking about the casing or the cable itself i run an xtr cable in the stock sram casing and it is very smooth and the cable is pre-stretched andis coated in teflon so its gotta be smooth. i got it for 25$ good price for the reliability imo

Corty

Likes Dirt
Yeah ditto for the XTR, which I've got in regular deore casing. Just take out the old cable and hose WD40 through the casing until squeaky clean. Then install new XTR cable with tons of triflow.

note if your casings aren't in good shape then no cable is gunna work too well:eek:

bushpilot

Likes Dirt
I've been using xtr inners and outers, very very good, but recently needed a new full length inner after a frame change and couldn't get xtr so bought a fibrax teflon coated inner rear (long) for $5 and so far the shifting is just as good but long term durability I couldn't say yet.

xc_machine

Likes Dirt
Alligator cables, XTR, or Jag Wire. Cant go wrong with any.. Jag wire's meant to be the top of the range though.