Gear Combinations

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
What front chainring size, in general, is everyone using on their DH race bikes?

Would you run different sizes for different courses?

Would you run different sizes for road or mtb cassettes?

Cheers

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I run a dual slalom 38 tooth guide for more clearance. I never find i run out of gears but i am yet to ride on a fast open DH track.

RCOH

Eats Squid
I have been using a 32, no chain guide...i always run out of gears & my chain always comes off :(

But everytime i get the money to upgrade, something else comes up

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
i run a 42T ring- and the biggest the evil fits is a 44... to be honest i wouldn't want much smaller as i would spin it out... also, the clearance between a 44bash and a 38 bash isn't that much, especially when the guide has a boomerang

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
I use a 38T for general FreeRiding. Works well for most non-competitive DH, tight techy stuff and moderate climbs (I have a granny ring for the steep climbs). But I have a 42T sitting in the kit for racing fast open DH tracks.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Daver said:
i run a 42T ring- and the biggest the evil fits is a 44... to be honest i wouldn't want much smaller as i would spin it out... also, the clearance between a 44bash and a 38 bash isn't that much, especially when the guide has a boomerang

exactlt what i found i run a 44T most of the time but if run anything smaller
the main problem is the boomerang hitting stuff not the actually bashguard