Gear Ratio?

Aidan's Bikes

Likes Dirt
Hey guy, at the moment i am running a single speed 36t to 16t gear ratio and it is perfect for me (i like a harder ratio).
but...
I am building up new wheelset and i getting BMX cranks. I am also getting Hope pro 2 hubs, which on the back can have at the smallest and 11t so i was wondering what sized front sproket would be suitable for an 11t back?

thanks, Aidan

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Going off my table I'd go for a 24 or 26 tooth ring if you'll be running an 11 on the rear.
That is assuming you want a similar ratio to what you already have, of course.

EDIT: might need to save the pic and then view it on your computer as it seems really small and I can't enlarge it by simply clicking on it....

Attachments

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll have to settle for 12t or higher on a cassette hub. A chain simply won't engage an 11t gear well enough without damaging both parts. And you will have to grind down some spacers if you want it to run 12 smoothly also.
I have just finished installing a new sprocket/chain/12t cog on my bike, and have had to grind down the spacers either side of the cog so the chain engages the gear, instead of riding on the spacers. I previously had a kmc 710sl, and had to grind the spacers to wafer thin so the chain didn't ride the spacers. (I got a new standard chain thinking it would combat this because the links aren't as tall, but it was just less of a problem)
It takes a while to do this, but essential for proper performance and chain/gear lifespan.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
RangaRMX added this table, this may be easier to view.

If you want any 11 tooth cogs I have bags of new ones. You can have some, or some 13t or 15t cogs for free if you wanna test a few out.

Aidan's Bikes

Likes Dirt
RangaRMX added this table, this may be easier to view.

If you want any 11 tooth cogs I have bags of new ones. You can have some, or some 13t or 15t cogs for free if you wanna test a few out.

that would be great, so are they cogs off a cassette or are they single ones?