Gear Reviews - Bike Bits

Katdog

Likes Bikes
pinkbike suggested creating some different review threads to separate out things into basic categories like bikes and bike bits separate from clothing. So I thought I'd start one for bike bits.

Sunline Logo Lock-on Grips (Thin)

Grips.jpg

I won a pair of these at a race a while back. I was stoked that the sponsor had thoughtfully donated prizes that would suit the women's category, so I'll give them a proper plug. It was the 2010 Bicycle Superstore Day on the Can, Albury. Grips are something that I honestly hadn't thought much about until then. Before these I had some worn out ODI's that went all slimy in the wet. I think these are great for small hands because:

• I can adjust my brake levers in to be that bit closer, so my finger can rest comfortable on the brake lever like it's supposed to ***
  • I find them more comfortable than bigger grips for XC riding (still getting used to DH riding, too early to tell).
  • It doesn't feel like my hand will bounce off on rough terrain, even if I panic and grab my brakes in a death grip with all my fingers.

Other thoughts

• 4 bolts on each grip means they're nice and secure. You're not going to strip the thread trying to get them tight enough, but they are more fiddly to put on.
  • Comes with nice shiny slimline bar-ends as well which is great if you like bar ends.
  • Compared to other grips I have used (ODI, TLD and Charge), the rubber is not super squishy, so if you like your grips on the harder side then these are good. The pattern is low-profile but grippy enough for my liking too. I like to be able to move my hand around without feeling like my gloves are sticking to the grips. This is probably why these have lasted much longer than other grips I have used before wearing out.
  • I like them enough that I'm constantly rotating them between my bikes. I have just ordered another pair, which is why I thought I'd write this.
  • They only come in black or white. The white looks rad. It gets dirty, but not as easily as other white grips I have used. It cleans off easier than other grips too.

*** Has anyone had a play around with different brakes and can share their experiences here? I've only used Avid Juicy & Elixir which work fine. Would be good if someone could recommend some brakes with enough adjustability to get nice and close to the bar.