Gear stick extention?

dog boy

Likes Dirt
i recently baught a 3 seat holden rodeo, when theres 3 in it its a bit of a squese to cahange into 2nd. my mate has a 3 seat hilux the problem inst as bad on his cause the gear stick is longer in hiluxs. i went to super cheap today in search of a pole to extend the gear stick, i was shocked to find they didnt sell such an item, any ideas on where i could find one if they even exist.
thanks in advance.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
The proximity of your hand + (gear) knob to the center passenger's crotch is enough for them to insist on walking anyways.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could maybe try going for a longer gear knob... like from the smaller in the photo to the longer version? Would that be enough of a change?

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
If you can use tools without self injury, get a tap and die of the same thread as your gear lever. A bit of shed time and you could fabricate an extension of any length you desire. Probably illegal, but do you really care?

Attachments

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when i have three people in my landcruiser ute. it generally means i have to go from 1st to 3rd.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
yea, hopefully i will get time in tec studdies to knock one up even tho i doubt they will have the right tap and die sizes.

also thoes of you with utes, tray back that is, have you found it more economial if you take the tray sides off, and the cage that sicks out around the cab?

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
yea, hopefully i will get time in tec studdies to knock one up even tho i doubt they will have the right tap and die sizes.

also thoes of you with utes, tray back that is, have you found it more economial if you take the tray sides off, and the cage that sicks out around the cab?
Nice work. Take your gear knob off, stick it in your pocket and take it to class. Find the tap to suit, match that to the die, snaffle a bit of bar stock and Bob's your sister's mother's brother.

If you can't find the tap or die to suit, just make the blank and have a local machine shop cut your threads.
If you ask your Tech Studies teacher they'll be able to tell you/point you to a chart that gives you your spigot size on which to put the die and the hole size for the tap to go into.
Save money, get good marks, win win win.