Gearing for 29" Commuter?

To commute on mostly flat bikepaths in and around melbourne?

Came with EBB and 33/20 for trails.

Is a 13 or 14 sprocket too small (been told to stay 16+ but then need to change chainring?)

galumay

Likes Bikes
To commute on mostly flat bikepaths in and around melbourne?

Came with EBB and 33/20 for trails.

Is a 13 or 14 sprocket too small (been told to stay 16+ but then need to change chainring?)
I ride mainly flat bike paths and run a 36 front and 11 rear - I reckon I could spin a bigger front with my improved fitness but chainstays wont allow.

Not sure why you have been told to stay 16+.

Even 33/11 you will have no trouble spinning out on the flats.

Was advised on a 16T for 'chainwrap' to prevent slipping. But saw some bmx'x today with tiny 9T sprockets !

Yeah not sure how big I can go chainring. It has an EBB and at the moment only 15mm of clearance with a 33T but not sure if I can adjust that with spacers or the right gears.

Was hoping to go 36/14 but will have to try it to see if it fits first!

Any advice welcome

galumay

Likes Bikes
Was advised on a 16T for 'chainwrap' to prevent slipping. But saw some bmx'x today with tiny 9T sprockets !

Yeah not sure how big I can go chainring. It has an EBB and at the moment only 15mm of clearance with a 33T but not sure if I can adjust that with spacers or the right gears.

Was hoping to go 36/14 but will have to try it to see if it fits first!

Any advice welcome
Ok, well the 'chainwrap' to prevent slipping is BS from my experience, have had no problems since running 11T.

Sounds like you would get a 36T on there is you have 15mm clearance.

The whole chainwrap thing can be a problem if you are using a chain tension device on a frame with vertical dropouts. I had this problem using a 11t cog, fixed it by making the chain shorter so the tension device was at its limit and more chain was wrapped around the cog. If the bike has horizontal dropouts this is not an issue.

galumay

Likes Bikes
The whole chainwrap thing can be a problem if you are using a chain tension device on a frame with vertical dropouts. I had this problem using a 11t cog, fixed it by making the chain shorter so the tension device was at its limit and more chain was wrapped around the cog. If the bike has horizontal dropouts this is not an issue.
Aghh...ok, that makes sense - so using something like the Surly Singleator might cause chainwrqp with a smaller cog?

Tops. Won't have to change chainring! Will probably go 33/13 but atleast i know 11 or 12 is possible.

Do you really think I will still spin with an 11 ?

Tried a few bike stores no one seems to stock sprockets smaller then 15! Will order one

galumay

Likes Bikes
Tops. Won't have to change chainring! Will probably go 33/13 but atleast i know 11 or 12 is possible.

Do you really think I will still spin with an 11 ?

Tried a few bike stores no one seems to stock sprockets smaller then 15! Will order one
Well I can only relate my experience, i am no super rider, nearly 50, probably carrying 10KG extra, havent been riding seriously for long, and I have no trouble riding my 29er with 36/11, I still spin out on the flats and downhill and if I could fit it I would run a 42/11 combination.

But the biggest climb within 100km of here would be 30m so i never need a lower gear to climb - just stand and sweat!

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
Another reason for using a larger sprocket on the back is you decrease the wear of the parts.

A load spread over more teeth reduces the wear. I find a 44/15 combo (2.93) a good bike path commuter gear.