Getting back into gravity fed riding

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fuck me. It's been a while since I've been on this site.

So. It's been 3 years now since I've ridden a Downhill bike, and I'm rather keen to get back into it. I've spent the last 3 years in the car scene, and have had that itch in the back of my head to get back into downhill for a while now.

Last bike was a 08 morewood izumu. Boxxer teams, dhx5 w/ T.I spring, saint brakes and cranks. Mavic 721 wheels set. Was a good bike.

Anyways more to the direct point. At the moment I can't exactly afford to buy a bike outright, even though I'd love to continue to have 0 debt at all hanging over my head, so I was wondering what bike shops on the GC or Brisbane area do a flexiway payment scheme? ( I think that's what it's called? ).

I was looking at trek session, transition tr450, demo8 etc. any places in QLD do payment plans on them? As I said, I'd much rather prefer to buy a second bike outright,, but I would be pushing the bank account to far st the moment.

If mods/ admins deem this to be in the wrong section, please move accordingly.

Thanks mangs! Any info is greatly appreciated!

Yours sincerely,
Nathan
xoxo

jrewing

Eats Squid
Fuck me. It's been a while since I've been on this site.

So. It's been 3 years now since I've ridden a Downhill bike, and I'm rather keen to get back into it. I've spent the last 3 years in the car scene, and have had that itch in the back of my head to get back into downhill for a while now.

Last bike was a 08 morewood izumu. Boxxer teams, dhx5 w/ T.I spring, saint brakes and cranks. Mavic 721 wheels set. Was a good bike.

Anyways more to the direct point. At the moment I can't exactly afford to buy a bike outright, even though I'd love to continue to have 0 debt at all hanging over my head, so I was wondering what bike shops on the GC or Brisbane area do a flexiway payment scheme? ( I think that's what it's called? ).

I was looking at trek session, transition tr450, demo8 etc. any places in QLD do payment plans on them? As I said, I'd much rather prefer to buy a second bike outright,, but I would be pushing the bank account to far st the moment.

If mods/ admins deem this to be in the wrong section, please move accordingly.

Thanks mangs! Any info is greatly appreciated!

Yours sincerely,
Nathan
xoxo
What about a neat 2nd hander? Downhill bikes go real cheap since All-Mountain/enduro took over. That's where I'd look

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt

Not something I would do, but Certigy Payment scheme...I've only heard good about it.

GC:
Demo/Lapi/Scott> Just Ride Nerang do Certigy
Norco> 99 Bikes also do Certigy

Dont know for Brisbane but definitely check with For The Rider or Ashgrove Cycles

Welcome back.

After a few years of riding XC only, I have also decided it's time to give DH riding another crack. After spending a week in Queenstown doing downhill runs it's safe to say that my interest has been reignited.

Also, on the topic of bike finance I actually used Certegy at For The Riders for my last bike. I didn't experience any hassles and once I paid off my bike I just cancelled the account, no questions asked.

haltz

Likes Dirt
I just put a bit of my new trail bike on certegy, simply because it was easier than goin to bank at the time and none of the hassle of explaining where that cash went out of the savings account to the mrs. it literally took about 10 minutes to be walking out the door with my new bike, mind you I had $2000 cash on me for a deposit for a $3500 bike so I only financed $1500 for the minimum term it's costing me something like $25 a week plus an $80 account keeping fee, like I've always done with every loan I've had if you can afford it comfortably choose the minimum term, certegy is interest fee but they make their money in that account keeping few which goes up the long the term

Michae1

Likes Dirt
It's a one off charge that varies based on the amount you finance.

Yellow Jersey (Brissy and Ipswich) use Certegy, also Trek dealers.

If you're like me and struggle to save lump sums of cash, Certegy works.

You'll kind of lose the ability to wheel and deal, but, if you approach the retailer with the right frame of mind, read don't be a tool and be realistic, tell them you understand that massive discounting on finance isn't likely, give them a solution that will benefit them as well and yourself. you should be able to get some sort of discount.

I'm currently paying my Remedy off with Certegy, it was on sale for $3299 from $4299, I got it on Certegy for $3599, paid $900 up front.

On top of the remaining $2699 Certegy added a total of $185, inclusive of a $40 establishment fee, plus 52 x $2.80 payment processing fees (fortnightly for 24 months) on top of this is another $70 in monthly account keeping fees)

So all up the bike will cost me $3854.

Keep in mind though, they'll fuck you in the ass with late fees, just looking at my contract here, $15 for payment not made on due date, $30 is they have to take action to to collect overdue payment.

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It doesn't really sound that bad. It's affordable, easy re payments. I assume they direct debit?

Also do they require a deposit? I've never loaned before. So a noob at all this.

Forgot to add, I'm subcontracting and running off an ABN, would this effect it at all? Would I have to bring in my invoice book as proof of work?

Last edited:

faulko

Likes Dirt
It doesn't really sound that bad. It's affordable, easy re payments. I assume they direct debit?
Yes they direct debit. My $3000 purchase is over 1 yr at $50 week with 10% deposit.

Forgot to add, I'm subcontracting and running off an ABN, would this effect it at all? Would I have to bring in my invoice book as proof of work?
Shouldn't matter but wouldn't hurt to have something handy like last yrs tax information. I think all i needed was last 2 payslips.

Also do they require a deposit? I've never loaned before. So a noob at all this.
As above, cant see it being more then 10%

Once this bike is paid off ill sell it and use that for the deposit on the next bike.

macguffin

Likes Dirt
This (Ezipay) really is the way to go . Painless. Plus it leaves cash for the upgrades !! Bought the last two bikes using them, will probably buy the next bike the same way.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Dude, if you cant buy with cash, dont buy. Rule of thumb, if its not an investment (something that returns you income) then dont finance it. You can get a sick 2nd hand rig in the 1500-2k mark.

mickeytg

Likes Dirt
Dude, if you cant buy with cash, dont buy. Rule of thumb, if its not an investment (something that returns you income) then dont finance it. You can get a sick 2nd hand rig in the 1500-2k mark.
Have to disagree here. If you have the ability to pay fortnightly, weekly or what ever and it suits your circumstances then go for it. While I understand the 'paul clitheroe' view of the world not everyone can do this but if they are able to manage interest free payments like Certegy why wouldn't you. At anytime you can pay it off with a work bonus, tax back cheque or put a little extra away each time and pay it off. I'll be doing it, an easy and affordable way to buy a new bike I reckon. It's how I'll be purchasing my new Bronson.

Postal

Likes Bikes
I have to agree with this, buying anything that isn't an investment with credit is a very bad idea. Personally I'd hold off till you can afford something outright. Will also give you more time to score a bargain 2nd hand.

Edit: didn't realise how old this thread was

Last edited:

glasslike

Likes Dirt
I agree this this entirely. I have always paid for my toys in cash, that includes my cars. If you can't pay cash then in my opinion you cannot afford it.

Again this is my opinion and this is based on ones situation, but I think that saving up ~5k isn't that hard.