Getting started in racing

Jazz

Likes Bikes
Hey All,

I'm new here and pretty new to mountain biking and was looking at competing in this years VDHS, although I was wondering if there is anywhere I can get the minimum requirements on gear etc.

My main concern is that I really want to race (Sports category) but I only own a hardtail at the moment (STP1).

Any help would be awesome!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey man,

Have a look at the Eildon Ride Day thread in the DH section, there's some new restrictions which they are thinking about bringing in for this series. At the moment, it's basically that you need to have a full face helmet, and bar ends on your bike. They're thinking about bringing in mandatory shin/knee pads, googles, and gloves as well.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep, just full face on and plug your bars and your sweet :)

hardtail in sport is no worries, its a pretty chilled catergory.

the ride day may be a good idea to come along to aswell.

Jazz

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, I was planning on going to the ride day, now I will go for sure.

Sounds like I have all the gear I need to get started already.

juzz

Likes Dirt
You can't have too much armour when starting out, the ftf recommend atleast knee pads and gloves with your full face but as I said you can't have too much

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, and if you're going to be attending a lot of races and ride days, invest in an MTBA licence, which means you won't have to pay for MTBA day licences every race. Easier, and can work out cheaper.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
frame

hi mate,
good luck with your choice, i run a hardtail sometimes it can be a good laugh but its kinda slow. definately go the armour, ebay has some good deals, dont blow it all on 661 or dianese, you may not enjoy.

in about 6 weeks i will have a stab primo frame for sale, cheap and i mean cheap, its a decent frame to start on if you wanna go full dh mode.

pm me if your interested

and good luck

saikocow

Likes Bikes
Man ... I would not worry too much about being on a hard-tail. I did my first race last weekend and got whipped-ass by a few guys on hard-tails. Also noticed that those guys on hard-tails were in the top 20% of the pack when it comes to their times. Of course, some tracks - you will have to be an Atherton to do well on a HT. Good Luck.