Getting Started...Trying to Choose (Malvern Star Mockery Within)

metrics

Likes Bikes
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting into some XC riding and some basic single trail type stuff. Looking originally to spend about $800 but now I've "adjusted" this to about $1200.

I've been trawling these forums for advice and recommendations etc. on bike choice. Here are some of my choices:

1. Giant Yukon 09 - $1079
Specs:

Front Susp: Rockshox Dart 2 100mm w/Turnkey Lockout & custom spring
Derailleurs: Rear: Shimano Deore high normal 8 speed. Front: Shimano Alivio 34.9. Shifters: Shimano Alivio Rapid Fire 24 speed
Brakes: Shimano Deore M486 hydraulic disc w/6” centre-lock rotors
Pros: Decent Price/Brand, Decent Hydraulic Brakes
Cons: Possibly Ordinary Forks, 8-Speed (Not that its much of a diff.)

2. Giant Alias 09 - $1399
Specs:

Front Susp: Rockshox Tora 302 coil 100mm w/PopLoc
Derailleurs: Rear: Shimano SLX shadow 9 speed. Front: Shimano Deore 34.9. Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire 27 speed
Brakes: Shimano Deore M486 hydraulic disc w/6” centre-lock rotors
Pros: Decent Brand, Decent Hydraulic Brakes
Cons: Over Price Range

3. Malvern Star XCS 7.0 - $999
Before you discount straight away, check these specs:
Specs:

Front Susp: Rockshox Tora SL Coil 100mm Travel
Gears: S-RAM X-7 (27-speed), Truvatic FireX 3.3 Crank
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Brakes
Wheels: Alex ACE 17 Rims with Shimano Deore Hubs and Hutchinsons Python Tyres
Pros: Excellent Kit for the Price
Cons: Frame Quality Unproven, "Excellent Kit for the Price"

4. Giant Strata 09 - $895
Specs:

Front Susp: SR XCM-HLO 100mm w/Hydraulic Lockout & custom spring
Derailleurs: Rear: Shimano Alivio 8 speed. Front: Shimano C050 34.9. Shifters: Shimano Altus EF60 24 speed EZ FIRE+
Brakes: Shimano M415 mechanical disc w/6” centre-lock rotors
Pros: Cheaper than the rest
Cons: Mechanical Brakes, Significantly Lower Quality Kit

Of course, theres more, but I'm trying to reduce the options. I'm going to have a ride of an XCS 9.0 on Friday to see how it feels. The XCS range comes from the new legend range of Malvern Star, and the road bikes are meant to be fairly good. For more info, www,thelegendisback,com,au. (Bah, I feel like I'm advertising them).

I'm interested in any advice people have for me. Also any other suggestions. Feel free to mock or ridicule if required.

Thanks in advance.

Lard

Likes Dirt
I'm recently got a Malvern Star XCS 5.0. It's the cheaper version with all deore running gear and juicy 3 brakes. I love it! I've done ~500k's on it so far with a fair bit of off road and single track and haven't had any problems other than a few squeaks that sorted themselves out.

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind about the bike you want, and you're just trying to justify it :) Ignore the bashing and mockery, go for the MS!

im about to buy an XCS 2.0 as a cheap good bike for a year or two... just took one for a quick lap, bloody awesome feeling bike and felt miles ahead of my mates Giant Boulder SE.. but then again i know SFA about brands and components and all that stuff, i just go on how the bike felt to me..

cant complain about the price either really.. $499 for a 2.0 or $840 for a Giant Strata ??

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Defiantly go for the malven star it's so much bang for buck if you don't like the frame in the long run it will still be economical to swap out a the frame at a later date

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The malvern star deffinitely looks like the best option there. Pretty awesome spec for the price.

Also if you havent already, check out 2nd hand bikes round here and on ebay.

CptStrong

Cannon Fodder
Buying second hand or new?

Hi all,

I'm as green as they come when it comes to downhill. I rode a pushbike in China amongst the masses so i'm extreme but no idea about mountain biking.

I've read the threads and I'm starting with a hard tail but should I be investing a new bike or second hand?

Any other ideas you want to throw at me are welcome!

Hey

I'm also very new to this mate, and I went with a Giant Yukon due to the specs.

I had a budget of the same, and when it came down to it basically spend as much as you can now to avoid having to buy another whole bike sooner then later down the track.

I compared the specs of the Yukon with the DB Zetec Deore, Optima FS400 and a GT oh and the Strata (didn't like the look in shop) and went with this after my manager who has a giant as well pointed out the quality and decency of the parts.

maybe i'm wrong, I've put mine down a few trails now and even though i think this was aimed at recreational use its put up wiht the lot so far! uphill/downhill/few jumps etc....

My choice is the Yukon great XC bike :)

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I'm actually liking the spec on the yukon better. Shimano brakes > Avid.
I'm(not) with Plow King on this, try and stretch it to get the Alias, far better spec, i have had bad experiences with truvativ cranksets, the Yukon kills it for spec!..corrected, i'm going for the alias!
Just my opinion!

Last edited:
i can agree with that, stretch it to the Alias if you can but if it stops around the $1100 mark as mine did........

Yukon ;)

as for the shocks, Mine are fine so far and its been off jumps, downhills etc... and holding up fine. I was warned that as long as i wasn't dropping like 5-6ft every ride i went out on. I had a look and they are for sale for $230.....obviously being lower end rock shox they will die eventually. luckily replacements aren't that much :)

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In regards to the Yukon and Alias... In july I was looking at these two, wanting to upgrade from my 1996 Giant Boulder. I ended up getting a Giant Alias on the 1/8/08. It was an 09 model. It was terrible for the first 200km. I then changed a few things like the tyres and pedals. It was really heavy, but it did the job. At about 800km it started disintergrating. By November I ended up having to spend something like $800 fixing it. In December (1100km) the entire thing decided to have the shits and completely fuck itself while I was riding on a road. That repair job alone cost $500. Sold the bike (once fixed) in early January. I couldn't be happier its gone.

Both Giant and Shimano have been completely inconsiderate and entirely unhelpful and ungrateful (no customer respect). In the end it was a downgrade from the Boulder (go figure). I'm not sure I'd ever buy Giant again after the way I was treated by their warranty and customer service department.

For the record, all I ever did is light XC. At most that entire period I must have gotten 2ft air.

Go the Malvern Star ;)

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shoulda added this:

Frame - Cracked around the brakeside dropouts
Front shock/fork - Started Weeping and creaking
Handlebars - fine
Stem - Fine
Headset - Bearings died at 800km
Grips - wore too bloody quick
Saddle - :mad::mad::mad: 15kgs landed on it (bike fell of a rack) and it broke
Seatpost - fine
Front brake - fine
Rear brake - fine
Cranks - pedal threads died
Chain - Broke 6 TIMES!!!! (differnt chains, same model - HG-73) I know about chainline and right gearing too
Pedals - just crap, I got rid of them pronto
Front derailleur - fine
Rear derailleur - shat itself and then embedded itself into the wheel and took out the hanger, chain, itself, and two spokes. This is on a road
Front shifter - fine
Rear shifter - fine
Cassette - wore at like 300km :confused:
Front hub - died
Rear hub - fine
Front rim - fine, actually quite impressed with the rims
Rear rim - fine
Spokes - fine
Tyres - crap, to slippery and somehow seems like they cause puntures
Tubes - crap

Have fun with it

Shoulda added this:

Frame - Cracked around the brakeside dropouts
Front shock/fork - Started Weeping and creaking
Handlebars - fine
Stem - Fine
Headset - Bearings died at 800km
Grips - wore too bloody quick
Saddle - :mad::mad::mad: 15kgs landed on it (bike fell of a rack) and it broke
Seatpost - fine
Front brake - fine
Rear brake - fine
Cranks - pedal threads died
Chain - Broke 6 TIMES!!!! (differnt chains, same model - HG-73) I know about chainline and right gearing too
Pedals - just crap, I got rid of them pronto
Front derailleur - fine
Rear derailleur - shat itself and then embedded itself into the wheel and took out the hanger, chain, itself, and two spokes. This is on a road
Front shifter - fine
Rear shifter - fine
Cassette - wore at like 300km :confused:
Front hub - died
Rear hub - fine
Front rim - fine, actually quite impressed with the rims
Rear rim - fine
Spokes - fine
Tyres - crap, to slippery and somehow seems like they cause puntures
Tubes - crap

Have fun with it
Damn......are you sure it just wasn't a defective bike? Cause i've given mine a thrashing so far and all that its needed was first service to tighten the gearing up.....although i haven't hit the kms you had yet.

Hey mate,

the alias is a good buy (Man that sucks about the experience someone was reporting on this, I haven't heard of this before) but I have a norco charger from last year I'm looking at selling, almost spec for spec on the Alias, and a really nice HT. Only been ridden once a week for about 12 months

Bo

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate,

the alias is a good buy Did you read my post? (Man that sucks about the experience someone was reporting on this, I haven't heard of this before) but I have a norco charger from last year I'm looking at selling, almost spec for spec on the Alias Everything on my Alias was pretty terrible except the RaceFace stuff, the brakes and the rims, and a really nice HT. Only been ridden once a week for about 12 months

Bo
See red

Damn......are you sure it just wasn't a defective bike? Cause i've given mine a thrashing so far and all that its needed was first service to tighten the gearing up.....although i haven't hit the kms you had yet.

If it was a defective bike, Giant and Shimano actually couldn't give half a damn. I haven't seen anyone else on an 09 Alias so I can't really compare it. But I know heaps of people who roll around on an early Alias (for the most part 06 and 07 models) and they seem to work.

If I were you, I'd still be leaning towards the Malvern Star, but I'd also check Kona and Norco's offerings. Have you looked at a 29er? There are some decent ones floating around in that price range.

Specialized Hardrock 29er
Avanti Scratch
etc - there are a lot, but I don't really know the geared/front suspension models, personally a rigid 29er SS interestes me for my next XC bike.

Mate, are you getting into XC from another area of the sport, or are you getting into mountain biking, starting in the XC area?

Yeah man I read your post hence the reason I said.

"Man that sucks about the experience someone was reporting on this, I haven't heard of this before" - that was a reference to your post

and when I mentioned
"I have a norco charger from last year I'm looking at selling, almost spec for spec on the Alias"

Look at the type of gear on the Charger and they pretty much line up. I was offering the Charger as an option if they were to take your advice and avoid the Alias.

I tend to agree with yukon rider here, perhaps defective, but I agree with you too man if the companies aren't backing up their gear then why support them?

It's a shame you had that experience did your LBS help out at all?

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah man I read your post hence the reason I said.

"Man that sucks about the experience someone was reporting on this, I haven't heard of this before" - that was a reference to your post

and when I mentioned
"I have a norco charger from last year I'm looking at selling, almost spec for spec on the Alias"

Look at the type of gear on the Charger and they pretty much line up. I was offering the Charger as an option if they were to take your advice and avoid the Alias.

I tend to agree with yukon rider here, perhaps defective, but I agree with you too man if the companies aren't backing up their gear then why support them?

It's a shame you had that experience did your LBS help out at all?
They tried at the start, then they got sick of it. They seem to be pretty half arsed at the moment. They did fix it, but they took their bloody time (1 month). Also I have tried to file a warrantly claim, Giant said go to the shop that sold it to me and get them to communicate the situation with Giant. I did this and from then on Giant never said a thing. Same deal with Shimano as they had a huge part of it. It's not like I'm even trying to get the whole bike replaced, just the deraillier. But I guess thats what most companies do, they try to lay as much shit as possible on you so that you decide not to bother and they don't have to fork out money for their mistakes. Peurgot is a classic example.

yeah that totally sucks dude, it's a shame that there's such crappy follow up. hope it all works out better than this for you.