Giant 09 comparison: TCR Alliance 2 vs. Defy Alliance Comp

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Well im in the market for a new roadie, looking at around the 2k mark, and have been playing close attention to the new 2009 Giants.

The new range came online in the last week or 2, and 2 models have my attention:

1. TCR Alliance 2 - RRP AU$2195*
  2. Defy Alliance Comp - RRP AU$1995*
TCR Alliance 2

Defy Alliance Comp

Now my main questions, not being very knowledgeable about roadie gear (aside from the shimano progression of groupsets, 105, Ultegra, Dura-ace etc.) are:

• Wheels? Mavics vs. Shimano, id assume the Mavics would be the better wheel here?
  • Groupset spec - the TCR has a complete 105 spec, where as the Defy has Sora brakes and R600 cranks. I'd assume the 105 gear is better than both of them?
  • Frame differences - both are branded as 'T-700 3k Composite / ALUXX SL Alloy Blend Frame & Fork', but the TCR has 'Formula One' branding as well, which seems a bit confusing even on reading up on what its all about here
  • Frame/fit style - from what I read, even tho theyre very similarly speced bikes, the intentional use is a bit different. The TCR is the race bike, and the Defy is the more comfortable enduro ride, but aside from a higher from end on the Defy, they do look pretty damn similar.

I know i could get most of this answered at the LBS, but they aren't in stock yet, and chances are you guys are nicer to talk to :D Oh and at the moment im leaning toward the TCR mainly because i think it looks a lot hoter, and because a full groupset of 105 would be awesome.

scblack

Leucocholic
The Defy models were in stock at my local bike shop a few weeks ago. the 2009 Giant models have been around the shops for at least a month.

Thats Castle Hill bike shop (Sydney).

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
The Defy models were in stock at my local bike shop a few weeks ago. the 2009 Giant models have been around the shops for at least a month.

Thats Castle Hill bike shop (Sydney).
Right, my LBS is behind the curve obviously, thanks for the info. I know a lot of the MTB 09 stuff has been around for a while, but I just hadn't seen any of the road gear.

akashra

Eats Squid
Arent Defy the Womens specific geometry version of the OCR/TCR, the same way as they now have the Arete as the Womens geometry XTC?

akashra

Eats Squid
Okay, just to clarify:

TCR Advanced W = TCR on Womens Geometry
Avail = Defy for Women
Aeryn = Trinity for Women

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Tcr

definrwlylooks cooler, and I like the 105 spec. However, maybe the racier geometry of the TCR will be a problem for someone who is not used to riding road bikes.

akashra

Eats Squid
I gotta admit, from what you said I can back up the 'race geometry' feel of the TCR. The TCR was my first road bike and now that I think about it, it certainly feels a lot more at home when I'm racing crits than when I'm doing bunch rides down Beach Road or up the 1/20 or Arthurs Seat.

You may want to check whether they're both compact - I've found myself running out of gears pretty often on the TCR, which is a compact double.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
I gotta admit, from what you said I can back up the 'race geometry' feel of the TCR. The TCR was my first road bike and now that I think about it, it certainly feels a lot more at home when I'm racing crits than when I'm doing bunch rides down Beach Road or up the 1/20 or Arthurs Seat.

You may want to check whether they're both compact - I've found myself running out of gears pretty often on the TCR, which is a compact double.
Interesting, I believe they're both compact, well from what it says on the Giant site.

Any opinions on the wheelsets; Shimano WH-RS10 Wheelset vs. Mavic Aksium ?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if the mavics are aksiums, then yes they are a better wheel. all other mavics explode and you'd probably rather go for shimano (waits for abusive comments from mavic riders) and yes 105 is better. they arent bad bikes, but they seem quite expensive. my old avanti only cost $1800 with full 105.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
if the mavics are aksiums, then yes they are a better wheel. all other mavics explode and you'd probably rather go for shimano (waits for abusive comments from mavic riders) and yes 105 is better. they arent bad bikes, but they seem quite expensive. my old avanti only cost $1800 with full 105.
Cheers thats the kind of info i was after. And yeah I realise there are some other cheaper options out there for the same or similar spec.

krisko

Likes Dirt
I bought my Defy alliance a week ago and have already done 220km on it.

I went this way as I knew the geometry suited me well as a xc mtber. For the money they are a good buy. The Sora brakes are fine also IMHO their isn't that much difference in V brakes besides weight. They pull up well. What else can you say.

The frame is very comfortable Im riding a large and with the Carbon in the right places it smoothes out the ride just nicely. I also demoed the all alloy Defy that rode noticeably harsher and with the lower parts spec it was an easy decesion for me.

I bought it to supplement my XC training with long weekend rides. So far doing two century rides I have noticed that the heart rate is far more consistant compared to the usual long XC rides.

The only other bike I looked at but didn't test ride was the Felt Z65 with Ultegra but only carbon chain stays the price is right at $1699 from Cell bikes though.....

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
Have you seen the new Malvern Star Oppy range - they have a bike called the Bol D'or - $1995, full carbon frame (same frame as Colnago SLX), full 105 and Mavic Aksiums. Have a look at http://www.thelegendisback.com.au/

I'm in a similar boat to you, and have been looking at the Giants and this bike pretty closely...

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Have you seen the new Malvern Star Oppy range - they have a bike called the Bol D'or - $1995, full carbon frame (same frame as Colnago SLX), full 105 and Mavic Aksiums. Have a look at http://www.thelegendisback.com.au/

I'm in a similar boat to you, and have been looking at the Giants and this bike pretty closely...
Was waiting for someone to mention the new Malvern Stars ;) And yeah, this sound arrogant as hell, but im sure I'm willing to ride a bike with Malvern Star written on it anymore, maybe 10 yrs ago when thats all my parents bought me, but yeah, I dont know. Dont get me wrong at all tho, it is an EXCEPTIONAL spec for the price. And yeah I've seen some in person, and they do look nice (aside from that one aspect :p)

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Malvern Star

I reckon the Malvern Star range looks pretty good. I had one as a kid, and would be happy to get one of the new range. Definitely cooler than Cell. Awesome spec.

There are about a billion giant road and mountain bikes around. (I have two). Malvern Star seem like a big up and comer this year.

Brunchman

Likes Bikes
Iscarrr, the Mavic Aksium wheelsets are a great wheelset, i mean, my dad has them and they have stayed straight for him (he aint exactly a leightweight). I ride Ksyrium Elites, and havnt had any issues with them, although there are definitely better wheels out there (as there always seems to be).

I can recommend the Defy, having ridden the OCR which the Defy is now replacing (although the Defy is a new frame) they are still fairly similar. IMO id go for the TCR however, because of the full 105 spec, which you will notice the difference between compared with the Sora, however, it depends how you feel and your preference in the end.

Good luck with your search, and enjoy!

krisko

Likes Dirt
What do you want the bike for? If you ride predominately XC like me and want to supplement your training with road rides go for the Defy, you will be more comfortable.
If you waqnt to race get the TCR, simple really.
I wouldn't chase specs just to say my bike is full 105 etc at the compromise of comfort.

I have done alot of Km's in the last few months on my Defy alliance and it hasn't missed a beat and I am very comfortable on it.
I am using the bike to commute to work and back now as it saves me just under 10 mins each direction(20k ride mostly cycle paths) I have also been doing long road rides predominately 100ks every 2nd week.....

I can definately say that supplementing my training with a road bike has been worth while. I was sceptical at first but it gets you more comfortable at higher speeds and you generally hold a steadiar heart rate......

My 2cents....

csd

Likes Dirt
I've got a Specialized Allez Comp, which is pretty close in spec to the TCR, as it has the 105 groupset and Aksium race wheelset. Apart from when I tried to 'tune' my rear derailleur, it's been faultless - much less so than other Shimano gear I've owned. I occassionaly ride my mates roadie with a full Ultegra set and honestly can't tell much difference between the two, and neither can he. The wheels are the basic Mavic road set, but have been fine for me, plus they look the goods which always helps ;)

Honestly, I'd spend the extra cash and go for the TCR.

klu

Squid
I'd go with the new TCR. It looks awesome. I used to have the old TCR from 2006. I liked the geometry on it; compact frame but longish top tube. Very racy but still quite comfortable. The old OCR was marketed at recreational riders, with a more upright seating position and relaxed steering. Apparently the new OCR is even more relaxed in it's geometry.