Giant Anthem and frame cracking

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meh, moot point now I guess. It's on eBay and the bids are higher than what I was going to offer him for it.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I would pull the trigger on that, but am worried about getting stung with import duties etc. Oh and it's 650b. 26" poor cousin cleverly marketed as the new must have thing.
hahahahaaa :spit: say that a little louder on here, i love the wheel debate, especially from 26 riders that refuse to accept anything else. pretty sure some are in such denial they dont even accept the existance of bigger wheels, lies, lies, lies!

they're supposedly an aussie seller, i know stuff comes from NZ but they must have some aussie operations to call themselves an aussie seller. could shoot them an email and i'm sure theyd set the record straight. how many 26/27.5/29 bikes have you ridden on the trails? dont get me wrong, wheel definately makes a difference, but like anything else, dont knock it till you've tried it ;)

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Have you ridden both? Doesn't the Intense have long stays and high BB?
come on now, you want me to argue rationally about the draw towards an intense?? :crazy: if you asked me why i'm so attracted to boobs i couldn't tell you, i sure as shit am though :p

but i can answer some of your question, the bb is .5" higher and the stays are .55 shorter on the intense than the anthem, which equals exactly half of fuck all because no, i havn't ridden either of them. but put them both in front of me and i'll ride them and give an objective opinion that the intense is better because, in all cases, always, the intense is better :first: (i think i might be a little one eyed)

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahahahaaa :spit: say that a little louder on here, i love the wheel debate, especially from 26 riders that refuse to accept anything else. pretty sure some are in such denial they dont even accept the existance of bigger wheels, lies, lies, lies!

they're supposedly an aussie seller, i know stuff comes from NZ but they must have some aussie operations to call themselves an aussie seller. could shoot them an email and i'm sure theyd set the record straight. how many 26/27.5/29 bikes have you ridden on the trails? dont get me wrong, wheel definately makes a difference, but like anything else, dont knock it till you've tried it ;)
ridden a few very low end 26ers over trails but I consider myself a beginner. I hated 26 though. too twitchy and not great up hill. given I am so green to the sport I don't really want to get a new bike. I would rather get a second hand one. it'sa great deal though.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
come on now, you want me to argue rationally about the draw towards an intense?? :crazy: Obviously.
Brands are pretty trivial in regards to buying a bike IMO. Intense have had their fair share of issues in the past. and maybe it was their 27" bike I was thinking of, but I thought it was real high and long. No sticker on a down tube will make a better bike. Geo and craftsmanship will though. I'm not defending Giant, or totally saying don't buy an Intense, but lets call a spade a spade.

but i can answer some of your question, the bb is .5" higher and the stays are .55 shorter on the intense than the anthem, which equals exactly half of fuck all because no, i havn't ridden either of them. but put them both in front of me and i'll ride them and give an objective opinion that the intense is better because, in all cases, always, the intense is better :first: (i think i might be a little one eyed)
Yeah those numbers don't mean much, and are not all black and white anyway, as the suspension designs may make either bike ride higher or lower than the other. But it still all adds up. Shorter and lower would be my pick, neither of them are both. But for the same coin, you could spec out an Anthem better. Money no option, which it shouldn't be when discussing bikes, I'd pick whatever I liked best from the geo and ride. I'd probably only buy an Anthem new. and I'd possibly consider an Intense with more research and a demo ride. But there's other bikes I'd pick first.
Sorry for the epic ramble.
and Ironically, I have a second hand Anthem. But only cause I got it cheap with warranty, and for the Missus. It does what it does well though when I take it out.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Ive seen 3 large Anthem frames crack at the seat tube, carbon and ally frames. Were replaced under warranty by Giant no problems but still a pain in the arse none the less

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
ok, so you've tried the brown love, then? What's that? Oh, you just KNOW it's not your thing.
Ever stuck a burning match up your japs eye? No? Tell me more...
Both are much like riding a 29er awkward and uncomfortable at first, but eventually it grows on you and you realize your life is so much richer now that you've discovered matches

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

moorey

call me Mia
Both are much like riding a 29er awkward and uncomfortable at first, but eventually it grows on you and you realize your life is so much richer now that you've discovered matches

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4
All righty then. We are clear.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Its funny how the 2009/2010 Anthem X frames didn't have any (as many?) issues with cracking at the top tube/seat tube junction. A local engineering student did a FEA on a mock-up of his X 29 that cracked and his analysis suggested that it was due to the S-curve in the downtube acting like a spring (as well as the reduced diameter of the top-tube where it meets the seat-tube. Interestingly, those s-curved downtubes significantly reduce the fore/aft stiffness of the front end. You can sort of get an idea when looking at how the older frames were made and the newer ones:

It's understandable why they need to curve the downtube on the 29er, but doing it on the 26er is just dumb. Nothing is stronger than a straight tube (if space and packing requirements let you get away with it), and the closer you get the angle of that tube to the direction of the force then the stiffer it will be (all things equal). So in 2011 they gave the 26er a tapered head tube to stiffen the front, but probably went backwards on front end stiffness because the downtube now has a curve and a greater angle front to rear.

Last edited:

Likes Bikes
i'm on the verge of buying a SH reign 2010 and it has the same bend in the seat tube, would similar cracking/breaking issues be expected there?

moorey

call me Mia
i'm on the verge of buying a SH reign 2010 and it has the same bend in the seat tube, would similar cracking/breaking issues be expected there?
I'm bound to be wrong by numerous, but I haven't heard of this happening to reigns. Surely they will have thicker tubing on an AM bike than a weight conscious XC bike? :noidea:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 mates both with reign X, 2010 I think. Both broke suspension linkage.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's understandable why they need to curve the downtube on the 29er, but doing it on the 26er is just dumb. Nothing is stronger than a straight tube (if space and packing requirements let you get away with it), and the closer you get the angle of that tube to the direction of the force then the stiffer it will be (all things equal). So in 2011 they gave the 26er a tapered head tube to stiffen the front, but probably went backwards on front end stiffness because the downtube now has a curve and a greater angle front to rear.
Is the bent tube also to help single crown forks clear with the zero stack headsets?

Likes Bikes
This is common on the reign X, but not on the reign.
really, would have thought the reign X was a stronger build, possible that the frame is exact same as the reign but riders on reign X doing more DH?

ChopSticks

Banned
really, would have thought the reign X was a stronger build, possible that the frame is exact same as the reign but riders on reign X doing more DH?
cant remember exact year/s but apart from (09?) Reign X....all reigns have the exact same frame/linkage

only difference was a longer stroke length of (.25") to take the 6"-> 6.75~" ...... Eye to Eye remained at 200mm

Ivan

Eats Squid

There's a whole thread on mtbr dedicated to the failures of the lower link on the Reign X.

http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/official-i-broke-my-lower-link-my-2010-reign-x-thread-617291.html

ChopSticks said:
cant remember exact year/s but apart from (09?) Reign X....all reigns have the exact same frame/linkage

only difference was a longer stroke length of (.25") to take the 6"-> 6.75~" ...... Eye to Eye remained at 200mm

From the above thread:

"
The links on the Reign have no opening to clear ISCG tab's and that is where they are failing so I would say the links on the two bikes are totally different. "

Not sure how accurate this is though.

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a 2012 anthem 29er and have no cracking issues, perhaps I don't ride it hard enough? I'm 100 kegs wringing wet..

Possibly silly question buy why couldn't you get a gusset tight welded at the seat stay upright to provide extra support at that point, which seems to be the weak link..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4