Giant Anthem

JASER

Likes Dirt
Evening guys n gals
I'm itching to buy a giant anthem 29r as soon as i can really.
Firstly,is now a good time to wait or a few weeks/months?
I have seen a brand new one go for as low as $2000 atm,i'm sure they wont drop any lower?
When do the 2013 model enter this year?
Thanks

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I have been told that one of the sizes went out of stock a month ago, and from how many i see around, they must be selling well still - as they should as they are imo the best value proposition on the market right now. they will want to sell them all by end september - if they get cheaper, it ill only need to be $200 or so. but its not the price thats stopping them selling thats for sure.

edit - actually, the 29er 0's seem to be in short supply, the ones are in stock - the 1 was 2300 while the 0 was 2500 when i got my 0 - now the 1 is 2000 - that looks to me like all the 0's are gone or sitting as stcock in shops.

Last edited:

JASER

Likes Dirt
Great info there guys thanks

Whats the difference between the 0 model and the 1?

Ok just googled and seems theres a bit difference!!!

But enough difference for a shit rider?

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
for a shit rider? no

Shock on the 1 and fork is easier to setup than on the 0. Also easier to use.

x5 x7 stuff is fine - lacks a 2 at a time upshift of the xt - elixir brakes 5 or 9? - bit of an adjustability difference, that is all.

tyres, get onto wiggle or crc and order yourself some noby nic snakeskins, stans tubeless valves, tubless tape roll, and a 500ml bottle of stans - ask the bike shop what they will give you for the racing ralphs in brand new condition - hopefully $100. depends on where you ride, but those tyres will get puntured, and I flippin hate getting punctures - they also have crap grip on gravel - hence the nobby nics (they are fast though).

Second option, if you can swap out the elixirs for an slx brake set for say $100 - then do it - you will never get to experience the elixirs bad side that way, and you'll never know how much to thank me ( if you keep them and have a tough time then live with the regret of ignoring the advice - i sure as shit wish i'd had the advice). Oh another easier option to keep it all in house, i s ask the shop if they can put something like ardents on the bike setup tubeless and for how much. But the ralph on the front in gravel for a newish rider is asking for skin off. the RR on the back in evo paceskin format (ie not snakeskin) is a recipe for a near certain flat in the first 300kms.

groupset is all good, wheels are strong but a bit heavy - front bar is much better than its rep online

If you really want to go crazy, get a hope wheelset from wiggle for $400, and for circa $2600, you will have a far better bike than the 0 - streets head for reliability, weight where it counts, and lack of wash out crashes.

thats the sum total of my knowledge on the anthem - have fun whatever you do. ;)

Last edited:

JASER

Likes Dirt
Cheers pharmaboy,very serious points there that i shall consider indeed.

Will defo speak to bike shop about a swap out for the tyres.
Seems as most of our riding is Lysterfield base,this time of year its a tad slippy/muddy.
Again thanks

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Has anyone in the know, ( Im a beginner rider considering an anthem 29 er as my next bike) sussed out the 2013 bikes as a comparison to 2012 stuff?

Do they look like they are a vast improvement ? these are US prices

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/2013.anthem.x.advanced.29er.1/11359/55681/

the top of the line x advanced 0 would be out of my price range , Id be looking at the advanced 1 or 2 2013 , or am i better off with value for buck chasing a 2012 bike , to be truthful im in no hurry at this stage , but just doing some research in advance.

guess my main question is How do the specs on these 2 bikes compare to the 2012 Anthem 29ers ?

Any help appreciated , cheers