Giant atx-1

im going to get a atx-1, the 6 inch model and was wondering what they are like, any problems and advantages, they got weakspots to be aware of etc etc.....thanks

j-ro

Likes Dirt
Ive got an ATX-DH team from 2001
its the sickest bike ive ever ridden, it has the best feel ever to it. The only thing to be weary of is that people dont run enough sag on them, in order to get the best outta them, run a little more sag.

Fuzzy - yeah i have a stinky, y?
Chewy - Why-how much would it b?
j-ro - mines not a dh model its an atx 1 with 6 inch, is that still good?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
i was thinking along the lines of puttin all your parts onto the ATX2 frame (which is identical to the ATX1).. i think he wanted 500 or something, maybe less

Rik

logged out
Nah, from what JRo was saying, they were 6inch until 2001... you can tell by the colour of the linkage.

As for comments on the design, it's an awesome frame design, so many people are still using them now, just because they work really well.

Rik said:
Nah, from what JRo was saying, they were 6inch until 2001... you can tell by the colour of the linkage.
yeah they were definitely 6inch until 2001
my mate has a 2000 model (could be 2001) which is going really strong...
only problem is the loos rear linkage but that's because he hasn't maintained it very well
his is a bit too heavy for my liking (as a hardtailer) but you get that when you put a set of Stratos MX-6s on the front of a bike!!!

j-ro

Likes Dirt
Nah the black one was a pretty low-key run at the very end of 2001. was going to be the team bike but didnt get used because of the new fame style.

Yours will be early '01, with the 8inch link plates but the short stroke shock and the steeper head angle.

The black ATX will be quite similar however, and just as strong, and if your planning on racing and big hucks, itl be your bike (the six inch model will still do the job nicely)

its only downfall is the the amount of sag you need to run.

Spectre - the black ATX and the red ATX DH differ only in the black one has its rocker link located slightly higher, and has a longer stroke shock, giving it another 20mm travel.

Big difference huh!

Jordy

RYD4LF
then wouldn't the black one be referred to as a 9 inch travel bike ? its only ever been called an 8 inch travle dh bike and i think that its the lower chain stay pivot that adds the travel.... its got another section put on to the old ones hense the longer travel by just pushing the wheel out further

j-ro

Likes Dirt
Maybe the pivot is dropped aswell, but i know the top pivot is higher.

Its not 9 inches because the original 8inch was 10mm less than 8 and the black one was 10mm more.