Giant Bike...

Jordy

RYD4LF
there no good for DH or 4X so im guessin he means XC.... for xc thats a sweet bike and i dont see how you can brake much stuff racing xc on a solid looking bike like that

Adi

It's my birthday!
Yeah mate, you should PM Stooge, he knows quite a bit about XC bikes and what would/would nto suit you on it.

I say it is definately a good biek for XC, don't know about thrashing it but it should hold up to some of the smaller stuff quite well :)

Az

Likes Dirt
Yeah good buy for that price if your into xc, if not I'd look else where.

Good soild xc bike

Aman

Likes Bikes
I'm kind of your freeriding / xc rider. I don't get of the ground that much but i do ride hard when going downhill.

I currently have a Giant Iguana and the bikes starting to die. My crank and rims are hurting but there still working well.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for a free riding XC rider, you might be better off looking at one of the norco HT's, something like a sasquatch maybe.
around the same price, but stronger than the giant.
reason for saying that is that the specs on the giant are more geared towards XC and less towards freeride.
you can always work a little harder to get a freeride rig round a XC track, but if you break a bike, you just broke it.

Adski

Squid
Why are you looking for a hardtail? For two grand you can get yourself an LX duallie, some spooge in the rear end will give you alot more utility than just XT components.

Check out the Giant VT3, for around $2500.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
The geometry looks pretty laid back.

I'd have a ride before you bought it... Personally I prefer steeper angles for racing.

VT3 is definitely a good option IMHO.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Adski said:
Why are you looking for a hardtail? For two grand you can get yourself an LX duallie, some spooge in the rear end will give you alot more utility than just XT components.

Check out the Giant VT3, for around $2500.
Yeah, but horses for courses. If he wants something durable, but still light enough to do all day rides on, then a HT is probably a better shot. Plus they're simpler, less maitenance, more responsive etc.

500 bucks is 500 bucks too.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
Raceline have a pretty good line of XC bikes, and i got which i have thrashed the hell out of, and the only probs were the cheap forks that came with it. i got he lowest end model, but the two higher ends have triple gussets and nice big, light tubing....check em out!

Aman

Likes Bikes
Keep in mind I do a lot of steep climbs and so the VT wouldn't be great for big climbs......

Keep it real......

ellemenophee

Likes Bikes
Yeah....i can second that opinion on RACELINE XC frames. I had a fantastic bike life on the hardtail i owned. True i also had to get a new fork- but other than that -it served my xc purpose really well .

I just haven't looked at that particular style of bikes for a while now, so i am not sure how the Raceline's have developed further.

Adski

Squid
bighitter said:
i was gonna ask the same thing.
the avatar photo is of a friend's hand, it was a pool of pus for a few weeks, it'd dry then crack and you'd get a peek inside. eeew.

bighitter said:
where in newcastle you at ?
I'm in newie near uni at Jesmond, but i'd rather be closer to glenrock.. :p Any other glenrock riders know what's the go with all the gaps being destroyed? my bet it's just one angry bushwalker but it's getting fucking repetitive. :?

G

Keep it on topic..

Te VT3 is a very good choice because it is designed to be a xc/fr sort of hybrid that can take the hill climbs and the all day xc rides and can also take a bit of abuse

The VT's can climb very well for a Dualie ..(they were designed for it after all and having ridden a VT one and Three they are pretty light and theres not much between them except the forks and a bit of the running gear the VT 3 would be a good buy i rekon.