Giant DH comp vs Faith vs Glory

furry forester

Likes Dirt
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about how far off the pace the dh comps are now - have they been completely superceded by the newer offerings. Ive heard plenty of raves about the maestro bikes especially on pedally courses...........but money suggests that a 2nd hand dh comp or (maybe) faith will be the limit of my spend.
Cheers

Minical2233

Banned
I have my own custom built 06 Dh Comp.
Best ride ive ever had myself, feels really awsome, super smooth on Downhill tracks and Freeride wise, i have had no such problem with it.
Dh Comps are good.
Suggest thow to check out your Dh Comp if you purchose one, to service your linkage and rear shock.
Other then that, should be sweet.

Calo

big rozy

Likes Dirt
if ya had the money you can't go past a glory

i see quite a few dh comp and some faiths

try and get a ride of all three see whats best for you

mtb_pimp

Likes Dirt
never rode any myself but i prefer the looks and spec list of the glory.
offcourse you would prefeer the glory over the comp because of the spec list.
i have ridden both bikes bikes (both 06)
the 06 dh comp when setup correctly pedles really well, its turns really well
the glory is a really nice bike to ride, i found it to be a lot more movable in the air compared to the glory. if it was my opnion i would go the 06 dh comp frame with the glory spec.

Last edited:

ryan123

Likes Dirt
i hav a dh comp andthe only problem is the linkage kit, mine always finds a way to unscrew its self whilst riding even though its got thread locker on it!

steve66

Likes Dirt
i have ridin a dh comp and team witch are pritty close to been the same and they are super smooth. im buying a dh team myself cause i think there so awesome!!

jacko69

Likes Dirt
I had an 06 DH Comp for a short while & have upgraded to an 07 Glory.

I really should have gone for a lighter spring on the DH Comp to make the comparison more accurate, but the Glory with the correct spring for my weight is sensational - it's so much smoother & so forgiving. Unfortunately it's also so much more expensive.
I didn't really ride the DH Comp long enough, but it was still a good bike (my 1st DH though) - certainly for the price, when you can pick them up relatively cheaply.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've only had reasonably brief encounters with each of these bike but if you can't afford a Glory then the 06 dh team would be a better option than the Faith. It's got a better geo for racing.

emcgough

Likes Dirt
offcourse you would prefeer the glory over the comp because of the spec list.
i have ridden both bikes bikes (both 06)
the 06 dh comp when setup correctly pedles really well, its turns really well
the glory is a really nice bike to ride, i found it to be a lot more movable in the air compared to the giant. if it was my opnion i would go the 06 dh comp frame with the glory spec.
You do realise they're both Giants don't you?

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I have a 2005 DH Comp with 06 Fox 40's, saint brakes, hadley rear hub etc and it cost me less than $3000 second hand. So as far as value is concerned i think the DH comp is the way to go.
Also technically speaking the dh comp is a far better design then the Glory, very similar geometry but far better suspension design. by that i mean that it has a rising rate linkage (meaning you can run a softer spring and still not bottom out) and a better axle path (when you compress suspension the whell moves backwards as apose to the glory goign up and forward, which causes it to get "stuck" on rocks). However the glory has a better shock (DHX as appose to the comp's swinger.
But as far as competiveness goes I was getting podiums on mine last year (with 02 Shivers) in U17 and top tens this year in U19's, so they are quite competitive bikes, especially if u can make one light(mine weights 22kg, but still pedals really well).
Also if you ride with your knees in close to the bike don't get the glory because they hit you in the back of the legs:eek:
But if you don't try and have a ride of each and see which you like the feel of, as you will always ride faster on something you like the look and feel of.

Good luck with getting your new ride:)

furry forester

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the replies - I cant see me getting a ride on a faith or glory and the desire to get back to racing is overwhelming the desire to save past a dh comp/team. I just didnt want to make a decision that was going to put me miles off the pace and a couple of G poorer! I guess the problem is last time myself or any of my mates raced we had 4" of travel and we were ON IT! We've happily survived on all sorts of bikes in the mean time because when you just ride a second or two doesnt matter - the quick guys beat the slow guys every week. But I know a return to racing will find me chasing somebody whose just a little quicker!:)

cuz81

Likes Dirt
i've had both .and as good as my dh comp was.i feel it dosn't even compare to my glory now.glory feels much more complient and stable over the ruff stuff.
i had 888's on my dh comp too.
all in all i felt my new glory is much better.obviously personal opinions differ.
and i got my glory for a pretty good deal too. much cheaper than specking up my dh comp like i was going to do.

so my opinion is glory all the way.i havent looked back.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have ridden all 3 bikes several times and currently own a 05 DH Comp with 06 888RC2x, 07 Dee Max, Thomson and some other trick bits. I was lucky enough to pick up the complete bike brand new for VERY little and because of this I was able to put some quality suspension and parts on it.

I race Expert class and have found it to be more than cabable of keeping up with all the bike exotica out there, IMO it comes down to the rider a hell of a lot more than the bike they ride although all bikes need to be set up properly and maintained regularly. If your suspension and settings are right for your weight and style the bike will be fast for YOU!

The Faith ( have ridden one with 07 Fox 40 and 06 66RC2x ) feels shorter and taller although they are not much different really. The Glory ( ridden 06, havn't ridden enough to see full potential though ) pedals better IMO but handles pretty similar to the DH Comp, once again it comes down to how you set your suspension up but they both rail corners better than a Faith. I would go with whatever you can get for the best spec and price and if you want to race, leave out the Faith. You will not be unhappy with a well set up DH Comp and so will your pocket probably. For what it's worth I will be on a 08 Glory when available.

Last edited:

furry forester

Likes Dirt
The dh comp/team looks like the thing - the more I hunt the more it seems to be available for stinky/big hit type money for a bike that I would actually want to race. Anyways like all compromises it will come down to money and what I can afford! It'll certainly be a step in the right direction from my current ride - a Foes weasel with Z150's on the front. Its been a great ride that really predated the current 6" All mountain style bikes that are getting about now - 13 years after it was made! Damn I wish I had it downhilling when I started - but it would have been wasted with canti brakes and Judy dh's. Cheers farkers, very helpful.