Giant Dropper slipping

mapua

Likes Bikes
I'm having an issue with my Giant Contact SL dropper where my seat angle rotates back when I sit hard into my saddle. I have tightened it to the point where I don't want to go any tighter and strip the thread out. I'm considering using some loctite bearing retaining compound on the contact surfaces to get it to lock up tight but am afraid I wont be able to get the parts out when i need to replace the strut or cable.

Anyone else experienced this and got any advice?

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I'm having an issue with my Giant Contact SL dropper where my seat angle rotates back when I sit hard into my saddle. I have tightened it to the point where I don't want to go any tighter and strip the thread out. I'm considering using some loctite bearing retaining compound on the contact surfaces to get it to lock up tight but am afraid I wont be able to get the parts out when i need to replace the strut or cable.

Anyone else experienced this and got any advice?
It happens all the time with the stupid design of the single bolt Giant seat posts. I doubt you will find anyone who has a long term fix. There are lots of supposed solutions but ultimately the only real permanent way to ease the frustration is to ditch Giant posts and get a decent two bolt one.
Having said that I had some success in the past [pre walking away from Giant posts] with taking the head to bits and using sand paper to clean off the anodising or paint from the mating surfaces and then tightening the fuck out of it. It still worked loose eventually.

teK--

Eats Squid
Grease the bolt head and thread. Carbon paste on clamp where it contacts the rails. Torque to 15Nm.

beejay

Likes Dirt
Other than buying a different post, I had great success with carbon paste on the conical mating surfaces and tightening the bolt down hard. Never moved again after this but was relatively easy to get apart when it needed some maintenance.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Grease the bolt head and thread. Carbon paste on clamp where it contacts the rails. Torque to 15Nm.
This. The problem you've described was the bane of my existence while I still had my Giant bike and dropper. Carbon paste on the mating surfaces and tightening the hell out of the bolt (basically as tight as I could get it without stripping out the hex head) was what eventually solved the problem. It did a pretty good job too, but even though the seat didn't move any more it sucked to be riding around and wondering when the next time you were going to hear the dreaded creaking noise...

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Sounds like a job for loctite to me. I'd even think of putting "retaining compound loctite" on the mating surfaces, but never on the threads.

mapua

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try carbon paste and see how it goes. If it still slips will try some loctite.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Another vote here for carbon paste. Mine slipped right from new, hasnt budged in ages with carbon paste.

Crappy design, since updated by Giant on current bikes to a proper two bolt design.