Giant Glory 09?

Cooper24

Cannon Fodder
Hi

I have resently raced my first downhill event on a hardtail and it was extremely painful

I am thinking about buying a used Giant Glory 09 for the next season is there anything about this bike that I should know or is it a generally good bike to ride

Please comment

Cheers

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
09 Glory is getting a bit dated and probably not worth it. Frame design was updated for 2010 with geo tweaked for 2013. If you have your heart set on a Glory, I'd go 2010 or later. $1-1500 should get you a decent enough one.

EDIT: That being said, I think you should probably stick to the hardtail a bit longer. If it's well set up (good brakes, chain guide and 2.5-7 tyres), you can ride pretty hard and ultimately it'll teach you to be a smoother rider instead of just going straight to a FS bike and plowing everything. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
I agree with what rednightmare is saying.

Depending on what your budget is (and where you are located) you can easily pick up a DH rig thats only a year or 2 old for under $2k. Don't lock yourself into one specific model or brand if you can help it.

However almost anything will better than a HT for racing DH lol

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah I reckon go for it. Only thing dated about the 09 glory is how heavy it is, but it is a seriously unkillable rig.

I'm pretty happy on mine. Sure, for more money you can get something fancier/newer, but there's no reason an 09 one wouldn't be perfect for a beginner. Cheap rig to trash while you're learning is perfect anyway. Spend more money once you've progressed some.

driftking

Wheel size expert
09 Glory is getting a bit dated and probably not worth it. Frame design was updated for 2010 with geo tweaked for 2013. If you have your heart set on a Glory, I'd go 2010 or later. $1-1500 should get you a decent enough.

EDIT: That being said, I think you should probably stick to the hardtail a bit longer. If it's well set up (good brakes, chain guide and 2.5-7 tyres), you can ride pretty hard and ultimately it'll teach you to be a smoother rider instead of just going straight to a FS bike and plowing everything. Just my 2c.
Personally I hated the updated geo, Id pick the older model over the updated one anyday (except a 2013 where its been dramatically fixed).
For me I liked the older one, they are heavish, but its mostly low down and the frames are so solid you don't really need to worry about breaking it too much, they pedal and take the rough like a boss.If its good condition and its the right price (it is getting old so Id make sure you're not spending too much) but if its good price range, give it a good check make sure the frame is in good condition, check all the welds and the frame for any signs of damage.

If its a full build check the parts too.

but I think the older glory is a great bike. I have a mate who still races one and does pretty well in his category I believe.

The newer 2010 (not sure on 2011 onwards) had cracking issue of the frame.

Keep in mind the weight will depend on the build and sizing. Stock from what I have seen ranged from 19-20kg but people have gotten them down into the 17's. Find one that's a good build and find out the weight you might be surprised.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
I happen to have an 09 DHO in excellent condition I may consider selling if the right offer is made. Full Saint, Fox 40's, DT wheels. Bought it with the intention of doing a bit of downhilling again but alas it's just sat there.

crash

Likes Bikes
09 glory.... what a weapon! mine was sick, i still have it actually. i had a 2010 model which was lighter,and i'm on the 2013 model now which is an updated model of the 10.
all 3 are sick bikes. but i have to say the 09 model is a bike you can really give a hard time. go for it.

I just though i'd pretty much re-enforce what's been said about the later model Glory's. I recently purchased a 2011 Glory 00 for under 2K and at the moment I couldn't be happier with it. If you go for the later ones I tend to think they have better parts also, can't go wrong with Fox 40's, RC4 etc. But it mainly depends on your budget. I've seen some of those 09' models selling past $1500, so they are not exactly the cheapest things around. I tend to think you could get more for your money on the recent models.

beardi

Likes Dirt
I just picked up a 2008 norco aline. 2008/9 being dated my arse! The reality is that a 2009 giant is going to be a massive step up from the hardtail. As long as its in good nick and not flogged then go for it! Anyway, i'm confident that it's not the bike making me slow and i'm pretty sure you'll be the same

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
I just picked up a 2008 norco aline. 2008/9 being dated my arse! The reality is that a 2009 giant is going to be a massive step up from the hardtail. As long as its in good nick and not flogged then go for it! Anyway, i'm confident that it's not the bike making me slow and i'm pretty sure you'll be the same
A complete frame redesign and then an update of the geometry does make it dated...

For probably only a few hundred dollars more, the OP may as well get something lighter, with better components and a better resale value.

beardi

Likes Dirt
I guess the point i was trying to make is that a new bike makes SFA difference to where you place in a race....if thats all the cash the OP has then he's still going to have a great time on 2009 model.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
I guess the point i was trying to make is that a new bike makes SFA difference to where you place in a race....if thats all the cash the OP has then he's still going to have a great time on 2009 model.
Yeah, fair enough. I largely agree with you. I do think having a lighter bike does make a pretty big difference but yeah, if he doesn't have the cash for '10 model or later he'll still have fun on an '09 one.