Giant Glory Mods

cappa

Likes Bikes
hey i have a giant glory DH and i was interested in how it can be modified. so can anyone that has a glory share there mods, tips or tweeks that they do to there bike or on any of the stock components on it?

for example i run a low fork ride hight. what do you do.

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A good old search would have come up with some examples.If you're going to go dh style with your glory you're obviously going to be going to cut weight.Freeride scene.you'd only change things as they break,unless you feel like splashing money out just because you can.They key is to make it stand out from the rest.

Ozza

Eats Squid
Well firstly mate id just like to tell you youve mad the best decision by getting a glory! With the bike on the other hand make sure the suspension is setup best for your weight and likings, the difference is amazing.

Ditch your bar and stem, the race face bars have to much rise and are fairly heavy and same goes with the stem. Look into Easton and Funn products for some one inch rise bars that suit you best, I have some Funn Fatboys and i love them to death.

Seatposts ussualy come mega long standard. If your running your seat fairly low or average hight dont be afraid to pull the hacksaw out and cut the bastard to save a touch of weight in a place not needed.

Glorys come stock with Michillen (sp?) tyres and i know a few people that rave about them but to me and many others they have nothing against the Maxxis minions. The 2.5 in Slow Reezay 30a compound is your best bet.

Im not telling you to go out and spend a fortune on your bike im just suggesting the little things that all add up to make your bike peform better.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
glorys come with kendas... ditch them, go a set of michelins, or if you want to be part of the majority, minions :p come with maxxis tubes too, basic tubes save weight, and heavy tubes arnt much help if you run quality tyres.

ditch the rear axle. solid steel... fair bit of weight. can make one up, or use a 12x150 maxle with the maxle hanger that comes with new glories.

hrmm... other than that, ride the hell out of the thing. i have, and no real problems. headset is pretty shit though, it will seize with a bit of mud and not enough love. it will take a lot of $ to make it the weight of a lot of its compeditors, but you wont feel that weight penaltly riding it.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the 150mm maxle... is a 150mm version of maxle you find on RS forks. it comes on GT DHis i believe... im not sure on avaliablilty from monza(sram), i side with make my own over give monza any of my hard earned...

im guessing you got the 3 different hangers when you got the bike? one is standard, one is maxle and one is saint i think.

Ozza

Eats Squid
the 150mm maxle... is a 150mm version of maxle you find on RS forks. it comes on GT DHis i believe... im not sure on avaliablilty from monza(sram), i side with make my own over give monza any of my hard earned...

im guessing you got the 3 different hangers when you got the bike? one is standard, one is maxle and one is saint i think.
Yeh i have a hanger that has thread in it for an axle. Where did you get your axle made?

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh i have a hanger that has thread in it for an axle. Where did you get your axle made?
i havnt yet, but i'll make it myself. some 12mm al tube, a m8 tap on one side to screw in and locktite a bolt, and a m10 die to puton the existing nut, i'll be set.

when i get around to it.

wont gaurentee its strength. we will see.

caddy

Likes Dirt
lol your glory is already not-stock (mad new word right there :p)
My suggestion is probably obvious to you though Jason... SAINT SAINT SAINT! :D Get saint cranks. They're sex :cool:

demo9pro

Likes Dirt
i havnt yet, but i'll make it myself. some 12mm al tube, a m8 tap on one side to screw in and locktite a bolt, and a m10 die to puton the existing nut, i'll be set.

when i get around to it.

wont gaurentee its strength. we will see.
Haha wow:eek:, your game.......Axle-age fail-age= Disasterous-age

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha wow:eek:, your game.......Axle-age fail-age= Disasterous-age
hrmm... yeah, im thinking it will deform pretty badly before it snaps. brake rub will be a bit of a sign. i might run m10 bolts from the ends instead of a nut on one side... long enough that they cover the section of max shear stress, between the hub and frame, so that area will be solid, the rest hollow.

i figure maxle's are pretty thin, and they have thread, a stress concentrator where it goes frame-hub. im not going to jinx myself by saying i;ll be fine, but...

jmeers

Likes Dirt
glory

New Things i'm looking at putting on my glory to save some weight are as follows ,

deemax + minnons , new bars and stem , new cranks .

Last edited: