Giant Reign 1 2009 - Front Derailleur

Derick Fenton

Cannon Fodder
Hey guys.. Great forum you have here..

I expect this is an easy question, I need to replace the front derailleur on my 2009 Giant Reign 1.

I purchased the following dual pull Shimano XT Conventional 3x10 Front Mech..
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...781-conventional-3x10-front-mech/rp-prod67202

when it turned up it was clear that I had purchased the wrong one.. I suspect the higher clamp is where I've gone wrong..

I've found this one, but before I place the order, can anyone confirm it's the correct derailleur for my bike..
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...t-m785-top-swing-2x10-front-mech/rp-prod69484

I realise it's a 2x10, but I'm prepared to remove one of my chain rings.. unless there is glaring issue that I am unaware of..

I appricate any help you guys can offer..
Derick

madstace

Likes Dirt
Hey Derick, you're correct in that the original replacement is incorrect, as the bend in the seat tube of the older Reigns doesn't allow for their use. You're also correct that the low mount derailleur will work.

Having said all that, and having owned a Reign of that vintage, have you considered a 1x setup? The front derailleur setup on that bike is terrible, and a single ring setup would make things a lot simpler and cleaner in that area.

Derick Fenton

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for the reply.

Funny you mention a 1x set up. I'd like to convert but with a chain guide, as I intend doing a few GE rounds this year...

Form what I've read on this forum, to convert to a 1x set up with a chain guide I'd need a new:
- clutch type rear derailleur,
- wider chain ring,
- narrower chain ring bolts,
- bottom bracket spacers,
- a bracket onto which I can mount the chain guide,
- and the chain guide itself.

I'm not adverse to spending money and I have the tools to do it myself, BUT, Im not sure I actually need a chain guide, as I see people all over the place blasting around the trails with unguided 1x11's...

with that said, I i just wanted a 1x setup, can I just drop two exisiting rings, or will I need that wider DH single ring?

Hey Derick, I converted my 2008 Reign to a 1 x 10 setup a bit over a year ago and haven't looked back. I bought:
- wide range 10 speed cassette (Praxis)
- narrow-wide 32 tooth chainring (Raceface)
- 10 speed rear derailleur and shifter (Shimano XT)
- 10 speed chain

I didn't put a guide on and haven't had a dropped chain yet. I also had about the same range as I did before. It's made it a lot easier to clean around the BB area while running quieter, lighter and looks better too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you're intending to use a chain guide (I do on all my bikes) the clutched derailleur and narrow wide ring are not as critical to success. I converted a friend's 09 reign to 1x last year.

You can run a shimano conversion (such as xt, slx, or zee) for very reasonable prices. For some reason chain guides remain expensive.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
My first dually was an '06 Reign that I really liked. Converted to 1x10 using a Zee derailleur, NW ring and new chainring bolts. Never dropped a chain and haven't yet on any NW setup with clutched derailleur.

Just use the position of the middle ring and you'll be sweet. I just bought a relatively inexpensive NW ring off eBay that has threaded bolt holes. These will allow you to use your current bolts and do away with those ridiculous chainring nuts.

Search up RaceTi NW chainring.

Edit: Actually, it seems that only the 30T has threaded bolt holes. All OneUp NW rings are threaded though, they are great quality but cost a little more. Still good value though.

Last edited: