Giant Reign 1 upgrades?

pharold38

Cannon Fodder
About to pick up my first MTB tomorrow - a 09 Reign 1.

I'd appreciate any views on what may be useful to upgrade on this model. Thanks.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
ahhh some dirt on the tyres, scratches everywhere ...just get on the thing and ride it - a fantastic first up ride...consider some accesories - multi-tool, mini pump, tyre levers, computer etc and your good to go.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahhh some dirt on the tyres, scratches everywhere ...just get on the thing and ride it - a fantastic first up ride...consider some accesories - multi-tool, mini pump, tyre levers, computer etc and your good to go.
+1
i agree..

ride that bike well! a good friend of mine has one and there one of the best all round riding bikes out there!

if leaning towards some dh.. some chunkier tyres may be the go but tyres are a personal preference.

red28

Likes Bikes
Not sure what OEM tyres come with it, but my Reign 0 had Hutchinson Barracuda's and they are slow as, which took some of the enjoyment out of riding uphills. I've ended up sticking Conti Mountain King 2.4s on mine and it has made the world of difference with grip, lower rolling resistance and hill climbing ability.

Otherwise, great bike, you'll be amazed what you can do with it, I love mine.

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice purchase!!!

I spent a lot of cash upgrading my Reign (07) and I've recently been de-upgrading it. It's strange, but a lot of the modifications I put on the bike were weaker (but lighter) than the OEM parts, and none of it worked as good. I'm loving the bike more now that I've gone off the weenie parts and back onto solid and functional parts.

The only part I'd strongly suggest for the Reign is a dropper seatpost (Joplin does the trick for me). It's essential in my opinion for all Reigns.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Definately tyres first. The OEM ones are crap. I like High Rollers (60a/MaxxPro compound). If you really want to get something, I'd recommend a 60-70mm stem first. The 110mm XC stem is just too long for the Reign. Other than that, just ride the bike. Things will be obvious when (if) you need to replace them at all.

Viv92

Eats Squid
XC high rollers are skatey in turns, I wouldn't get those. Front Nevegal is pretty good.

Otherwise... I've got a slightly shorter stem on mine, and wider bars (eastons, width is good for a bit of everything). That's all I'd bother with. Also dual ply tyres for proper DH riding.

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd recommend a 60-70mm stem first
Shorter stem, wider bars (depending on your build), maybe change the saddle and grips for something more comfortable too.
That's about it for now, get to know the bike before you go dumping too much cash on it.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Definately tyres first. The OEM ones are crap. I like High Rollers (60a/MaxxPro compound). If you really want to get something, I'd recommend a 60-70mm stem first. The 110mm XC stem is just too long for the Reign. Other than that, just ride the bike. Things will be obvious when (if) you need to replace them at all.
^ This is good advice! I've owned my 2008 Reign 1 for a year now and the only things I've upgraded are tires, grips and a shorter stem. Just spend some time adjusting your suspension to your liking and get out and ride it. Maybe consider getting a bike computer if you like keeping track of how far you ride, and average speed, etc. Otherwise, it is right to go ride just about anything straight off the shop floor. The spec on the 2009 Reign 1 is a step up from the 2008 Reign 1, and as I said, all I upgraded on mine was tires, grips and a shorter stem and that made a world of difference to comfort and how the bike rode on all types of trails.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with a few of the above posts.

I own an 09 reign0 and I have put a shorter stem, wider bars, joplin seatpost and juicy carbons on it.

The shorter stem and wider bars make it handle alot better and the Joplin seat post allow you to bomb down hills and still climb back up without having to get off.

red28

Likes Bikes
Grips yes, now using Rogues. Tyres definitely, as mentioned previously the Conti Mountain Kings are superb (not sure how easy to get in Oz, so probably not that popular due to that). The OEM stem on mine was 90mm, so I changed it for a 90mm Thomson, so no need to worry about hitting my knee on bolts. Last upgrade will be some decent brakes, the Juicys have too much lever travel and not enough feel for serious riding.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the Juicys have too much lever travel and not enough feel for serious riding.
This can be attended to with tuning - you can set pad engagement yourself, and a rebleed and/or new pads could make them feel a whole lot better. Don't rush in to buying new brakes just yet.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the Juicys have too much lever travel and not enough feel for serious riding.
Sounds like you dont know how to bleed or setup your brakes properly.

People use juicys all the time for DH without problems.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're aggressive on the DH riding, or want to be, then I'd be contemplating agoing to a 35 or 36mm staunchion fork.